Manchester United

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

bundibundi
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Manchester United

Postby bundibundi Sun May 29, 2011 12:21 pm

So... Who is a Man Utd fan?
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Manchester United

Postby sevengoals Mon May 30, 2011 6:56 pm

There was nothing Manchester United or any other team could have done to stop Barcelona.
It would have to have been one of the best if not the best displays of football I have seen in my life.

The bar has been raised once again by this Barcelona team.

It was breathtaking football!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Re: Manchester United

Postby Old Gregg Tue May 31, 2011 11:39 am

Funny thing is I don't think Barca even played exceptionally well by their own lofty standards - they've been pulling teams apart like that for a couple of seasons now, absolutely a notch above everyone else - watch their 5-0 demolition of Real Madrid...

But to do that in the CL final against ManU - wow.

Best football side ever? Who are the contenders? Real of the 1950s won the European Cup 5 times in a row, but I really have no idea how the standard of their play (passing, movement) would have measured up to today's Barca... Cruyff's Ajax? Brazil 1970? (brilliant, but just one tournament)..

The thing that is so great about Barcelona is that their system is so finely tuned, the actual players they have are almost secondary (which is a massive thing to say seeing as they have the best player in the world at the moment, who may well turn out to be the best of all time..) In 2004-05, they played beautiful football with the likes of Ronaldinho, Deco, Eto'o - all these players are top notch, but they moved on and failed to maintain the same heights playing for teams without the same kind of dynamism. Whereas Barcelona have just kept on improving, now undoubtedly the most beautiful team in the world AND the most effective - a rare combination.

Alex Ferguson is without a doubt one of the greatest football managers ever, he's had 25 years in charge of the wealthiest club in the world to mould the team as he sees fit, and Man U were made to look absolutely second rate. They had no answers once Barca had absorbed the early barrage.

The dumb thing is that so many football fans say things like 'Oh, well we'll just buy player X and we'll be a contender again'.. Like all the great teams in history Barca has proven that the best are far more than a sum of their parts. The likes of Real, Man U, Chelsea, Milan can buy all the players they want, but they are a long long way off producing that sort of magic.
[/craigfoster]
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “World Football”