NZ hosts Under 20 WC

The beautiful game is played in every country.
Discuss football around the world.

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

NZ hosts Under 20 WC

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:54 am

FIFA's executive committee instead chose New Zealand to host the under-20 tournament and Chile for the under-17 event.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/104 ... up-balance

Great news for NZ its seems their improvement in world football hasn't gone unnoticed.

It makes me wonder why Australia or even Adelaide doesn't bid for one of these events?

Hindmarsh would be perfect to host this!
Could AU possibly get behind the bidding? I just think the more football tat gets played in Adelaide the better! Does anyone remember those youth tournaments that used to be played here? Rangers, Juve, Liverpool and AIS those were great!

I reckon there would be a great turn out especially if Australia was involved which I would presume they would be, and I just can't help thinking how great it would be to say you saw the next Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo play for their country before they hit the big time!
Time to Djbate!
RedsFan31
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Re: NZ hosts Under 20 WC

Postby RedsFan31 Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Does anyone remember those youth tournaments that used to be played here? Rangers, Juve, Liverpool and AIS those were great!
Yeh i remember them well! They were exciting to watch and i agree that those type of tournaments would be great to have here again. Not sure what role exactly that AU would play in the bidding process but to get some youth tournaments of that nature to hindmarsh would be excellent
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Does anyone remember those youth tournaments that used to be played here? Rangers, Juve, Liverpool and AIS those were great!
Yeh i remember them well! They were exciting to watch and i agree that those type of tournaments would be great to have here again. Not sure what role exactly that AU would play in the bidding process but to get some youth tournaments of that nature to hindmarsh would be excellent
I was just thinking AU should ty and invest in football related things to promote the game here.

Maybe the youth team could enter a tornament like that?
Time to Djbate!
RedsFan31

Postby RedsFan31 Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Yeh i could't agree more with the prospect of the club being involved in something like that and certainly the club should be doing all it can to promote the game here. Was just thinking out loud about what role they could play. Obviously the main priority is investment in the game at grassroots level in SA however the idea of our youth team being involved in a competition such as that is extremely exciting!
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Such short memories. Bids by cities generally don't go down well with FIFA, (or that country's governing body for that matter.) WHo remembers Jeff Kennett claiming he was going to bring the world cup to Melbourne?

Also the U/19 (I think) World cup was in New Zealand ~10 years ago. The one that AUstralia lost in the final on penalties to a Brazilian team where half the players lied about their age.
RedsFan31

Postby RedsFan31 Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:14 pm

Yeh i wasn't suggesting we hold an entire youth world cup at hindmarsh. Nor do i think you can really compare what we are talking about to the ridiculous claim of hosting a world cup in melbourne. Not that anyone really takes much of what Jeff Kennett says seriously anymore anyway.

I was implying we push for something similar to the youth tournaments we mentioned previously, similar to that pre-season comp that was held in sydney last year. Obviously if we are going to look at FIFA tournaments such as youth world cups it would have to be an Australian bid as opposed to Adelaide or any other city. In that instance we should at least do all we can to ensure some of the games were played here

Return to “World Football”