Coronavirus Football Cancellations

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Coronavirus Football Cancellations

Postby sevengoals Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:46 pm

What is going on down there?
I get the feeling things are moving slowly and you don't really have any clear direction.

As for the football I reckon we don't play the TV won't pay.

Stay healthy down there!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 am

I get the feeling things are moving slowly and you don't really have any clear direction.

Stay healthy down there!

B)
To be honest 7G I feel like the federal government has been on the front foot through all of this ( unlike the bushfires ), even better for adelaide locals the state government has lead the way in decontaminating public transport and setting up the first drive through testing stations while melbourne and sydney had like of sick people out on the streets. We are fortunate in adelaide to be fairly secluded from the east coast.

What I cannot get my head around is the Aleague / AFL /NRL all electing to play behind closed doors. I think thats a horrendous cash grab particularly given the states now have the power to close their own borders. Its massively out of touch with what is happening in the community IMO

I don't envy our elected leaders one bit at this stage regardless of their respective political standings.. They have to make the terrible decision to find the " sweet spot" in somehow saving as many (mostly) elderly lives while also not undercutting the prosperity of the next generation who are currently in school.

The big domino that may start to fall over here is household debt, the recovery may be very long and slow.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:21 am

Now all football under FFA and the State Federations is being put on hold, bar the A-League.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:21 am

Stay healthy down there!

B)
To be honest 7G I feel like the federal government has been on the front foot through all of this ( unlike the bushfires ), even better for adelaide locals the state government has lead the way in decontaminating public transport and setting up the first drive through testing stations while melbourne and sydney had like of sick people out on the streets. We are fortunate in adelaide to be fairly secluded from the east coast.

What I cannot get my head around is the Aleague / AFL /NRL all electing to play behind closed doors. I think thats a horrendous cash grab particularly given the states now have the power to close their own borders. Its massively out of touch with what is happening in the community IMO

I don't envy our elected leaders one bit at this stage regardless of their respective political standings.. They have to make the terrible decision to find the " sweet spot" in somehow saving as many (mostly) elderly lives while also not undercutting the prosperity of the next generation who are currently in school.

The big domino that may start to fall over here is household debt, the recovery may be very long and slow.

We're in total lock down here as I pointed out in another post and no doubt you have enough information about the situation over here.
The only businesses open are banks, petrol stations, places where one can purchase food /provisions, chemists, drug stores and anything deemed essential services.

Businesses that can have their people work from home have made the move but nevertheless the state unemployment agency saw the biggest one day hit in registrations ever as people who could not work from home or could not take holidays or leave without pay where temporarily layed off, etc..
The Government together with support from all the opposition parties passed a series of emergency economic measures to deal the massive economic turn down but more will be needed.

My wife works at an Accountant and all they've been doing since Monday is taking people of the payroll and registering people for unemployment and also trying to work out what relief measures are available and when and answering the clients questions "on the run" so to say.

We've had a couple of major fark ups already.

The ski tourist areas in the West of the county became Virus infection hot spots when people got together for the Après ski stuff.
Even though there were positive tests in the tourist areas they still kept the lifts running and the bars , cafes, restaurants open.
Hundreds of tourist were found to be exposed to the virus but were still able to board their flights or drive away and go home with no testing before the main restrictions came into place.
This took place last week and whole regions out west are now in stricter quarantine.
Serious fuck up that no one seems to be taking responsibility for.

And we have two Doctors at the Vienna AKH, the biggest hospital in Austria test positive for the virus but who still had been working right up to the time the test results came in!
So that means hundreds of people need to be tracked and tested and self quarantined, etc.,

But all in all everything is calm and the majority of the Austrians have gone along with the official decisions and message.
After the initial storming of the supermarkets people have realised there are enough goods out there.
So far we have had the Government and all Opposition parties, Business and the Unions all pulling on the same rope which in these times is not always so easy to achieve.

By the way we had a story over here that suggest Scotty kept things rolling over the last weekend not so much as to watch his favorite football team "one last time" but rather to allow a huge gathering of his Church to take place with thousands of people on the Saturday ...

That sounds more like it. :mrgreen:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/200011 ... rona-krise
It's in German but...

I'm sure The ScoMo believes the virus along with the fires is the beginning of the apocalypse and the second coming...
We're Farken Farked!

And the poor bastards have to play football.
Contact in a no contact world.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm

Stay healthy down there!

B)

We're in total lock down here as I pointed out in another post and no doubt you have enough information about the situation over here.
The only businesses open are banks, petrol stations, places where one can purchase food /provisions, chemists, drug stores and anything deemed essential services.

Businesses that can have their people work from home have made the move but nevertheless the state unemployment agency saw the biggest one day hit in registrations ever as people who could not work from home or could not take holidays or leave without pay where temporarily layed off, etc..
The Government together with support from all the opposition parties passed a series of emergency economic measures to deal the massive economic turn down but more will be needed.

My wife works at an Accountant and all they've been doing since Monday is taking people of the payroll and registering people for unemployment and also trying to work out what relief measures are available and when and answering the clients questions "on the run" so to say.

We've had a couple of major fark ups already.

The ski tourist areas in the West of the county became Virus infection hot spots when people got together for the Après ski stuff.
Even though there were positive tests in the tourist areas they still kept the lifts running and the bars , cafes, restaurants open.
Hundreds of tourist were found to be exposed to the virus but were still able to board their flights or drive away and go home with no testing before the main restrictions came into place.
This took place last week and whole regions out west are now in stricter quarantine.
Serious fuck up that no one seems to be taking responsibility for.

And we have two Doctors at the Vienna AKH, the biggest hospital in Austria test positive for the virus but who still had been working right up to the time the test results came in!
So that means hundreds of people need to be tracked and tested and self quarantined, etc.,

But all in all everything is calm and the majority of the Austrians have gone along with the official decisions and message.
After the initial storming of the supermarkets people have realised there are enough goods out there.
So far we have had the Government and all Opposition parties, Business and the Unions all pulling on the same rope which in these times is not always so easy to achieve.

By the way we had a story over here that suggest Scotty kept things rolling over the last weekend not so much as to watch his favorite football team "one last time" but rather to allow a huge gathering of his Church to take place with thousands of people on the Saturday ...

That sounds more like it. :mrgreen:

https://www.derstandard.at/story/200011 ... rona-krise
It's in German but...

I'm sure The ScoMo believes the virus along with the fires is the beginning of the apocalypse and the second coming...
We're Farken Farked!

And the poor bastards have to play football.
Contact in a no contact world.

B)
Yeah i have alot of friends and family in lombardy ( milano , bergamo and verbania ) its ground zero there. The things they have told us is terrifying.

If other states follow the lead of Tasmania and close state borders , its possible the non east coast states can contain it, we havnt has any new cases for 2 days , currently 32. EDIT/ 5 new cases today

Stay safe over there 7g!
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:26 pm

If other states follow the lead of Tasmania and close state borders , its possible the non east coast states can contain it, we havnt has any new cases for 2 days , currently 32. EDIT/ 5 new cases today
3 recovered though so SA is at 34 active cases.

I am struggling to see how continuation of the A-League will work unless all the teams are housed in one regional location. I mentioned Cairns before simply because it has the playing/training facilities and a hell of a lot of empty hotel space.

Flying about Australia won't take very long before infections set in.

I see the Swedish league are playing behind closed doors. They appear to be adoped the Herd Immunity approach along with the Netherlands.

I assume the Myanmar and Lao leagues are kicking along as the governments are in denial that there is any COVID-19 in the country. Aung San Suu Kyi's head-in-the-sand approach to governance remains unbowed.

The C-League in Cambodia appears to be continuing as well. Life can be somewhat disposable in Cambodia so public health concern from the authorities isn't to be expected, particularly when all the owners are politically connected.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:27 pm

3 recovered though so SA is at 34 active cases.

I am struggling to see how continuation of the A-League will work unless all the teams are housed in one regional location. I mentioned Cairns before simply because it has the playing/training facilities and a hell of a lot of empty hotel space.

Flying about Australia won't take very long before infections set in.

I see the Swedish league are playing behind closed doors. They appear to be adoped the Herd Immunity approach along with the Netherlands.

I assume the Myanmar and Lao leagues are kicking along as the governments are in denial that there is any COVID-19 in the country. Aung San Suu Kyi's head-in-the-sand approach to governance remains unbowed.

The C-League in Cambodia appears to be continuing as well. Life can be somewhat disposable in Cambodia so public health concern from the authorities isn't to be expected, particularly when all the owners are politically connected.
I think the herd immunity approach is a viable approach IF the population is relatively young.

Its fantastic that the pacific islands have been spared, though its opens up a concern that the rest of the world will have at very least some herd immunity in the future so heavy immunisation would be a must for the islanders if tourism was to return.

I would be really interested to know at the end of this what the world carbon emmisions benefit was during the peak of covid-19. Hopefully going forward we all realise the things we can live without and still be happy.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 pm

I think the herd immunity approach is a viable approach IF the population is relatively young.
Eventually society needs herd immunity, though via vaccines is the preferable approach. The herd immunity approach requires very good identification and protection of those at risk.
Its fantastic that the pacific islands have been spared, though its opens up a concern that the rest of the world will have at very least some herd immunity in the future so heavy immunisation would be a must for the islanders if tourism was to return.
Guam, Tahiti and New Caledonia have cases and Fiji have their first. They have a suspected case in Federated States of Micronesia and Samoa. I am in Vanuatu at the moment, and there is no testing capacity so we assume there are no cases but we don't really know.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:55 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/south- ... b7526be30e

Well done SA, So far all cases have been from interstate, overseas or have caught the virus from a close family member. Maybe just maybe WA / SA and Tassie can contain this
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:11 am

We now have a teacher to student transmission. And loads of students and staff self-isolating just in case from multiple schools.
Changing so fast. Every day new developments.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:56 pm

I see the SA & WA are putting up barriers which may effect the ability of the A-League to function in the cuirrent format.

The option of relocating the entire competition to Cairns would have avoided this, however it has happened and hence will be interesting to see how it is handled.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:09 am

The K-League restarts on May 8 (minus fans).

There will be some interesting lessons for other league, not least the A-League. Hopefully the games make it onto the box; I could do with some decent live football.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:29 am

Hate to say it Blahblah, but we pretty much called this mess back in February. We pretty much nailed it sadly.

If little old us can process basic info and forecast future risks Im struggling to understand how sporting clubs , leagues and politicians can claim to be blind-sighted by the situation.

I suppose the positive out of this is its a genuine opportunity initiate needed changes quickly that may have taken decades or even been impossible prior. I will personally enjoy a bit of de-corporatisation of professional sport and taking a more community based approach ... but thats just me.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Hate to say it Blahblah, but we pretty much called this mess back in February. We pretty much nailed it sadly.

If little old us can process basic info and forecast future risks Im struggling to understand how sporting clubs , leagues and politicians can claim to be blind-sighted by the situation.
Yes, it isn't much fun being correct.

To be fair, we both work professionally in areas where we can make economic and governance assessments from a distance, particularly in assessing risk, without being distracted by the noise at the operational level. It would be difficult at the FFA and clubs to have the mental time and space to view the issue holistically and from afar.

Return to “Football Asia”