Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

BeoutQ

Postby blahblah Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:14 am

BeoutQ, the piracy channel initially set up to undermine Qatar's BeIN as part of the Saudi's attempt to isolate Qatar, has become a serious issue for all sports.

The AFC and others have been unable to pursue BeoutQ in the Saudi courts as it is protected politically.

A joint investigation by FIFA, AFC, UEFA, EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, LFP and Serie A found BeoutQ to be using an Arabsat satellite, and now they are pursuing them.

The hypocracy comes in when these leagues continue to accept Saudi investment.

As for Qatar, they seem to be weathering the regional isolation and have adapted to a 'new normal'.
blahblah

Re: BeoutQ

Postby blahblah Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 am

Now the BeoutQ streaming devices are being sold outside of the Middle East with huge effects on the value of sports services.

There is a good article on Inside World Football by Paul Nicholls that highlights the issue as it currently stands:
http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2019 ... ts-rights/
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am

An interesting key note speech from BeIN to football rights holders across the world; the value of your product has gone off a cliff.

Piracy, particularly BeoutQ, has resulted in the football streams being non-exclusive and hence all the media companies will be valuing rights on a non-exclusive basis. They are worth a fraction of current prices.

I guess the days of ever spiralling wages and money are well and truly over. How the big leagues who are addicted to the TV money fare may make for ugly viewing.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2019 ... ble-burst/
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:20 am

The joyous geopolitics continues unabated with Egyptian side Zamalek refusing to play the CAF Super Cup against Esperance of Tunisia in Qatar (Egypt being part of the anti-Qatar coalition). Why they are playing the CAF Super Cup in Asia is a reasonable question, which is answered once more by geopolitics.

On a more serious level, Serie A is going to take their Super Cup to Saudi Arabia for $22million. As BeoutQ is operating in Saudi and BeIN can't broadcast, BeIN is talking of dropping Serie A from their schedule which may cost the italians $500 million.

a BeIN spokesman reportedly said “It is astonishing that the league has decided to press ahead despite all the evidence of the damage that has been done to the league’s business by beoutQ, Saudi’s pirate operation. It is remarkable what Serie A is seemingly prepared to jeopardise – not only all the financial revenues from one of its biggest broadcaster partners, but also the exposure beIN gives to the league in markets all around the world, from Europe to Asia and all across the Middle East & North Africa. Serie A’s leadership is putting at risk all of this, in favour of making a quick buck from the very entity that has been stealing its rights for two years.”
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:46 pm

The joyous geopolitics continues unabated with Egyptian side Zamalek refusing to play the CAF Super Cup against Esperance of Tunisia in Qatar (Egypt being part of the anti-Qatar coalition). Why they are playing the CAF Super Cup in Asia is a reasonable question, which is answered once more by geopolitics.

On a more serious level, Serie A is going to take their Super Cup to Saudi Arabia for $22million. As BeoutQ is operating in Saudi and BeIN can't broadcast, BeIN is talking of dropping Serie A from their schedule which may cost the italians $500 million.

a BeIN spokesman reportedly said “It is astonishing that the league has decided to press ahead despite all the evidence of the damage that has been done to the league’s business by beoutQ, Saudi’s pirate operation. It is remarkable what Serie A is seemingly prepared to jeopardise – not only all the financial revenues from one of its biggest broadcaster partners, but also the exposure beIN gives to the league in markets all around the world, from Europe to Asia and all across the Middle East & North Africa. Serie A’s leadership is putting at risk all of this, in favour of making a quick buck from the very entity that has been stealing its rights for two years.”
I can't believe the Italians would be so blind to that.
I've noticed as I watch Inter Milan games regularly they have put up "Piracy is killing Football" on their video fence screens around the ground from time to time.
I do find that amusing that the game is crying out that people are stealing something that until 10 years ago was available free to all. I really wonder who would be the big losers if broadcast rights took massive drops.
Sorry I've gone off on a tangent here!
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:58 am

I've noticed as I watch Inter Milan games regularly they have put up "Piracy is killing Football" on their video fence screens around the ground from time to time.
I do find that amusing that the game is crying out that people are stealing something that until 10 years ago was available free to all. I really wonder who would be the big losers if broadcast rights took massive drops.
The administrators of the game seem to be hell-bent on the short-term buck.

I tend to agree that the sheer amount of money available is ultimately to the detriment of the game. BeoutQ and the different association's unwillingness to link it to Saudi Arabia highlights this.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:45 pm

The administrators of the game seem to be hell-bent on the short-term buck.

I tend to agree that the sheer amount of money available is ultimately to the detriment of the game. BeoutQ and the different association's unwillingness to link it to Saudi Arabia highlights this.
Like all democratically elected politicians you don't win points for planning 10 years ahead. Especially if that 10 year play requires some short term pain for long term gain.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:44 am

BeIN have certainly been vocal about the pending Saudi purchase of Newcastle United. The entire 'sports washing' aspect is not going down well.

Interestingly the Saudi Ministry of Finance has suspended funding to all sports clubs as their budget has collapsed with the price of oil however the purchase of Newcastle United appears exempt. It provides some idea as to geo-political importance the Saudi government place upon the acquisition.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:35 am

The WTO just ruled that the Saudi state is behind beoutQ.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/saud ... 21753.html

Not a surprising finding, but still a damning international verdict against Saudi Arabia. Interestingly Saudi's defence as that the IP theft was required for reasons of "national security".

Given the Saudi state is trying to buy Newcastle United whilst actively being behind EPL IP theft, the English FA's response will be one to watch.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm

The chickens are coming home to roost.

beIN has reassessed Siere A's broadcasting rights and is treating them as 'non-exclusive', and hence worth a hell of a lot less. The fact Serie A did very little to fight the piracy operation and indeed effectively colluded with the Saudi's by selling Coppa Italia rights to the Saudi's after the WTO had ruled they were stealing Serie A rights, probably didn't help.

It is a cowboy approach that is likely to cost the Italians several hundred million. Ouch.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:56 am

The Saudi's have now removed beIN's license to broadcast in Saudi Arabia. beIN are protesting and also hold the rights to broadcast the EPL into Saudi Arabia.

Yet another issue that will impact upon the Newcastle United bid.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:17 am

........and the bid has been withdrawn. It is bit of a come-down for the Saudi's however probably a strategic decision in the end as the ownership was shaping to draw attention to Saudi's geo-political activities and piracy support, which is the opposite of what the purchase was to achieve.

Return to “Football Asia”