Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

China looking to naturalise Brazilians

Postby blahblah Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:10 pm

There is an interesting claim on Foxsports Asia that China are in the process of naturalising five Brazilian forwards in a bid to improve their chances of qualifying for Qatar 2022.

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/ ... au-saeter/

The malaise the author discusses is interesting given the supposed investment China has made in the game. Certainly the forwards mentioned would have a significant impact on China's potency.

But would the Chinese public stand for it? It would constitute something of a loss of face.

Interesting times.
blahblah

Re: China looking to naturalise Brazilians

Postby blahblah Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:30 am

They've gone and done it! Elkeson has been nationalised, given the Chinese name Ai Kesen and is named in the preliminary list for China's World Cup qualification squad. He's the first player without any Chinese heritage to represent China and represents something of a signal of the desperation China feels in regards to qualification. Nico Yennaris from the UK has also been named however as he has a Chinese mother that is more understandable.

He'll have his first hit-out against Myanmar on the 30th of August before taking on the might of the Maldives on the 10th of September.
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 pm

My goodness. Next thing you know the Chinese Women's Team will be getting Brazilians!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:43 am

Here we are naturalising Scots
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:09 am

Here we are naturalising Scots
Too true :( . I know Boyle is eligible under FIFA rules but it doesn't sit comfortably with me and is yet another reason I am no GA fan. With Leckie and Mabil fit and in-form I am not sure there's room for him anyway.

Elkeson will add some serious potency up front, especially once paired with Wu Lei. He's been banging in goals for fun in both the Chinese Super League and the ACL.

It will be interesting to see how it effects the team. One good thing for China is Elkeson is less likely to lose his composure if the team finds themselves down a goal or two and running out of time, a big weakness in Chinese sides over the past twenty years or so. In the past a regular strategy for beating China was to go hard at the start, get a goal or two up and leave nothing in the tank for later in the game as China will self-destruct rather than run over you.

The game against Syria in November should be an interesting one. Will they have more Brazilians by then? I guess it will partly depend on the public's reaction to Elkeson, which may hinge on the peformance of the team rather than that of the individual.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:56 am

Yeah it's a slippery slope.

Hasn't Qatar done something similar?
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Yeah it's a slippery slope.

Hasn't Qatar done something similar?
They brought in a lot of kids into their Aspire academy and I believe naturalised the ones who showed promise. That said, I think almost all of their national side is born in Qatar but many are eligible for other countries through their parents. Pedro is naturalised, and perhaps the forward Ali.

The real problem was many years ago Bahrain was offering citizenship to players and then cancelling the citizenship once their playing careers were over. That, and the naturalization of players by Qatar and Singapore (from memory) led to the system we have today of 5 years in-country prerequisite.

The thing about China is the sheer size of the pool of players they have to choose from and the amount of money they have invested in the game. Something isn't clicking.

Return to “Football Asia”