Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

2018 AFF Suzuki Cup

Postby blahblah Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 pm

ASEAN's premier football tournament is on once again and the groups have been decided.

Group A: Vietnam, Malaysia, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos

Group B: Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Timor Leste/Brunei.

Group B is definitely looking the tougher of the two with tournament favourites Thailand & Philippines in the group along with Indonesia who came second in the last tournament in 2016. Given most of the games are being played in Indonesia (with one stadium in Singapore), they should benefit from some home advantage.

Games kick off in early November.
blahblah

Re: 2018 AFF Suzuki Cup

Postby blahblah Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Group stages are over and the semi-finalists determined (to be played over two legs).

Vietnam v Philippines
Thailand v Malaysia
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Boy I'd love to see the Socceroos take part in this. Obviously it would be a tough thing to get the first choice squad to but it would be a great chance for fringe players (especially younger players) to get game time.

I'd love to see the Mekong Cup expanded to include HAL sides as well!
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:10 am

Boy I'd love to see the Socceroos take part in this. Obviously it would be a tough thing to get the first choice squad to but it would be a great chance for fringe players (especially younger players) to get game time.

Yes, it would have to be a domestically based squad. I don't think we'd be terribly welcome.

The Mekong Cup is interesting and maybe the entrant could be the winner of the national NPL title. It would come down to sponsorship.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 am

Yes, it would have to be a domestically based squad. I don't think we'd be terribly welcome.

The Mekong Cup is interesting and maybe the entrant could be the winner of the national NPL title. It would come down to sponsorship.
I think Australia probably needs to provide something to the region before the welcome map is rolled out. I think the standard is there at least from a club level for it to be worth considering more games and rivalries with the region.
I think given how HAL sides have fared in the ACL lately I think a HAL club entering into the Mekong Cup would be a pretty even and interesting affair. Considering the cup only runs for a week or two it wouldn't be a massive commitment for a club to travel for it, obviously it wouldn't be a cheap exercise but would provide HAL clubs will more competitive matches which is something HAL sides really need especially if it tests out the depth of squads.
I may have missed it but is there a version of the Mekong Cup that Singapore and Indonesia take part it? If not I think that would be an interesting thing for HAL clubs to work on.
Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and maybe Philippines club champion all playing each other in an annual tournament. If the tournament could be held around September I think that would suit HAL clubs nicely.
Australia is often crying out for ways to expose ourselves to Asia. It astounds me that Football isn't one of the first things to be used as a way to break ice with our Asian neighbours.

Sorry to send this way off topic!
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:31 pm

I think Australia probably needs to provide something to the region before the welcome map is rolled out. I think the standard is there at least from a club level for it to be worth considering more games and rivalries with the region.
I think given how HAL sides have fared in the ACL lately I think a HAL club entering into the Mekong Cup would be a pretty even and interesting affair. Considering the cup only runs for a week or two it wouldn't be a massive commitment for a club to travel for it, obviously it wouldn't be a cheap exercise but would provide HAL clubs will more competitive matches which is something HAL sides really need especially if it tests out the depth of squads.
I may have missed it but is there a version of the Mekong Cup that Singapore and Indonesia take part it? If not I think that would be an interesting thing for HAL clubs to work on.
Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia and maybe Philippines club champion all playing each other in an annual tournament. If the tournament could be held around September I think that would suit HAL clubs nicely.
Australia is often crying out for ways to expose ourselves to Asia. It astounds me that Football isn't one of the first things to be used as a way to break ice with our Asian neighbours.

Sorry to send this way off topic!
I can't see a better spot to discuss engagement with Asia via the AFF than here!

I have often thought that a tournament with AUFC and some of the Indonesian clubs would be good, though we have a season clash as Indonesia runs to a calendar year, as does Singapore. It should be possible though, perhaps during one of the longer international breaks.

The Mekong Cup only features clubs whose countries have the Mekong flowing through them (with the exception of China), so it would be surprising if we could enter.

Still, improved engagement with Asia via the AFF is an option at the club level, we just need to find the right opportunities.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 pm

Thinking about this more, I'd love to see two cups for the AFF, either nations are in the Mekong region or the Southern region.
Like the Mekong Cup the highest rated nation (Thailand) makes the final and waits for the opposition to qualify.
In the Southern comp Australia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Indonesia would take part.
Once a champion of Mekong and South are crowned they could then play each other for the AFF crown.
Personally I think a format like this makes more sense than the AFC persevering with the AFC Cup which they are trying to make like the Europa League but just doesn't seem sustainable to me.
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:38 am

AFC Cup just doesn't have the same punch, though teams do like to be involved (from my experience in SE Asia). Still, I think a club competition involving us and parts of SE Asia is something worth exploring. Finances are a key concern as distance makes Australian club participation rather expensive.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Malaysia hosted Vietnam in the first leg of the final with a 2-2 draw.

If you want get an idea as to how popular this competition is then check this out.......... https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/ ... -malaysia/
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:04 am

And Vietnam take in 1-0 (3-2 on aggregate) to lift the 2018 AFF Suzuki Cup in front of a packed house. It is a great tournament that doesn't receive the recognition it deserves.

The bigger question is are we seeing a resurgence of Vietnam who tapered off in recent years?

Return to “Football Asia”