Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

I-League

Postby blahblah Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:12 am

The AIFF have put a proposal forward to merge the I-League with the ISL (basically a non-FIFA accredited football version of the IPL), with the ISL more or less coming out on top. It is unclear as to what that will mean for the existing I-League clubs, some of whom have been around for over a 100 years.

It could be an A-League moment for India however the vision of the AIFF doesn't appear as robust as that offered by the Crawford Report.

It will be interesting to say the least.
blahblah

Re: I-League

Postby blahblah Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Two years down the track and still no merger. At the moment the ISL has expanded to 10 teams and the I-League champion goes into the preliminary rounds of the ACL and the ISL champion to the Asia Cup. It is being reported that the AFC are going to ban all Indian clubs if the issue of unifying the football structure in India is not undertaken by the 2019/20 season. That said, I have yet to see any official AFC comment confirming this.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:02 am

It looks like Timmy Cahill is off to Jamshedpur FC in the Indian Super League. The club is only a year old, having won an expansion bid (a bit like the A-League in that regards). The ISL is a decent choice for a player of his calibre at the end of their career. It is a very short season with lots of bells and whistles; in all fit for Timmy though India will prove something of a change.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:46 am

Just in case you thought Indian football may be getting its act together.......... the AIFF are maintaining a vigorous defence against any attempts to introduce competent management practices. Now it seems the I-League clubs are close to have had enough, with seven of them pulling out of the AIFF's Super Cup, a tournament between the I-League and ISL clubs. The main problem the I-League clubs has is perceived apathy from the AIFF, a charge that may have some merit given the lack of decisions and direction eminating from the peak body.

The I-League clubs have been referred to the AIFF's Disciplinary Committee, what their response to any sanctions will be may well colour the future of Indian club football.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:36 am

The lack of decision making by the AIFF in relation to which league is to be the top league in India, the I-League or the ISL, is set to continue. The AIFF President, Patel, has shown consistency in his lack of decision making, declaring both will be the top league for another two or three years.

Ye Gods. I feel for Indian football fans. The hubris of the AIFF is staggering.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:12 am

The I-League clubs have written to the Indian Prime Minister and asked him t o intervene and to undertake a review of the AIFF. I am not sure how well this will play out as FIFA takes a dim view on government meddling.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:10 pm

......and the winner is, the ISL.

The AIFF has reportedly informed the AFC that the ISL winners will be awarded the ACL spot and the I-League winners the AFC Cup, relegating the I-League to the second tier.

It is a rapid change of position from the comments from the AIFF earlier this month and somewhat symptomatic of the decision making processes they employ. At least the sorry saga is coming to an end. The I-League clubs will make an appeal to the Indian PM and FIFA however grounds for such are shakey indeed.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 pm

Mohun Bagan has merged with ISL club ATK and has joined the ISL. It is a huge moment for the ISL as Mohun Bagan are 130 years old and bring a gigantic supporter base to the competition. Mohun Bagan were pretty well on their knees financially and ATK unable to attract the fans so the merger should suit both clubs, though I see Mohun Bagan being the senior partner in the merger.

Return to “Football Asia”