2014 Asian Champions League

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

shinAUFC
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: 2014 Asian Champions League

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:19 am

Also lets not forget the saudis for all their money and high profile stars could not even score a goal from open play in 180 minutes
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:42 am

Congrats WSW. Monumental achievement.

Edit: just saw the highlights. Looked like an Al Hilal player spat at/on Spira at the end - what a disgrace.

Al Hilal denied 3 stone cold penalties. Unbelievable.
To be fair though the non penalties made up for covic having a laser beam in his eye the whole match.

I hope that al hilal player gets a big ban!! Its in the same level as suarez biting
Absolutely disgraceful. Throw the book at him.

I think I recall Poppa saying in an interview after losing the Sydney Derby that he looks forward to getting the run of the refs as they are supposed to even out over the course of the season (after saying that some big decisions went against them in that game).

Don't think Poppa can complain about a referee for the rest of his career! 3 blatant penalties turned down isn't just good luck, that's a borderline miracle.
And if the roles were reversed we'd be accusing the Saudis of bribing the referee.

Can't feel too sorry for Al-Hilal though. They acted like grubs. WSW no doubt rode their luck a lot through the tournament but so did we back in 2008.

The challenge now is to win it playing much better football. I hope we're up to the challenge!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:19 pm

Congrats WSW. Monumental achievement.

Edit: just saw the highlights. Looked like an Al Hilal player spat at/on Spira at the end - what a disgrace.

Al Hilal denied 3 stone cold penalties. Unbelievable.
To be fair though the non penalties made up for covic having a laser beam in his eye the whole match.

I hope that al hilal player gets a big ban!! Its in the same level as suarez biting
Absolutely disgraceful. Throw the book at him.

I think I recall Poppa saying in an interview after losing the Sydney Derby that he looks forward to getting the run of the refs as they are supposed to even out over the course of the season (after saying that some big decisions went against them in that game).

Don't think Poppa can complain about a referee for the rest of his career! 3 blatant penalties turned down isn't just good luck, that's a borderline miracle.
And if the roles were reversed we'd be accusing the Saudis of bribing the referee.

Can't feel too sorry for Al-Hilal though. They acted like grubs. WSW no doubt rode their luck a lot through the tournament but so did we back in 2008.

The challenge now is to win it playing much better football. I hope we're up to the challenge!
Yes this is very true.

Its also a reason why its hugely disappointing that the saudi player reacted they way he did as the western ( australian ) portrayal of the saudis this week has been poor. Playing on stereotypes and fear. Spitting in the face of spiranovic did nothing for the image of his country
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Congratulations WSW.
Well done.

Our turn next!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Hats off to WSW. They played a negative game however that was what was called for. If they'd played open football it would have been a slaughter. Great tactics from Poppa.

Al-Hilal placed themselves under immense pressure by basically declaring themselves champions once Wanderers were determined to be their opposition. Their attempts to talk down the Wanderers was silly as it placed great expectation on their own players and beefed up the confidence and energy of the Wanderers (Australians simply love being the underdog - except in cricket for some reason). The pressure told. Silly, silly, silly.

Quick question. Is the FFA Cup winner an entrant to the ACL?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Hats off to WSW. They played a negative game however that was what was called for. If they'd played open football it would have been a slaughter. Great tactics from Poppa.

Al-Hilal placed themselves under immense pressure by basically declaring themselves champions once Wanderers were determined to be their opposition. Their attempts to talk down the Wanderers was silly as it placed great expectation on their own players and beefed up the confidence and energy of the Wanderers (Australians simply love being the underdog - except in cricket for some reason). The pressure told. Silly, silly, silly.

Quick question. Is the FFA Cup winner an entrant to the ACL?
Not currently.

Apparently it may be for the next ffa cup.

Personally as it currently stands i dont think ffa cup winners deserve an acl spot when u look at mariners who are in the semis and only face aleague opponents now
Slingy
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Slingy Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:05 am

Wanderers would get half a place in the next ACL anyway by finishing runner up in the grand final last season right?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 am

Wanderers would get half a place in the next ACL anyway by finishing runner up in the grand final last season right?
I think they get a guaranteed spot for finishing 2nd in the regular season. Half chance would go to CCM who finished 3rd.
ganas
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: CASSIOOOOOOOOOOOO

Postby ganas Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:36 pm

do they now get automatic entry to ACL as winners?
if so, does that mean we will have an extra place in next season's ACL?

plus - this means they have qualified for the club world cup. not sure when this takes place or if it will have any effect on our season?
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:37 pm

I think I read that they play Mexico's Cruz Azul and then if they progress they play Real Madrid. Not sure when but this was on foxsports facebook.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:01 am

Finally got a chance to watch the game. Covic was nothing short of brilliant. He single-handedly won it.
Hilarious scenes at the end of the match. Old mate cracking the shits at the end like that's going to upset anyone that's just about to lift the Champions League trophy.

IMO Australian football's greatest moment.

I wonder if WSW will now qualify for ACL 2015 as reigning champions meaning the HAL get another spot?
Looking at the wiki page its not clear but it says a decision on spots will be made sometime in November.
Time to Djbate!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:33 am

So did i miss bozzas rant about the standard the final was officiated in ?? I just cant seem to find it.

Im am assuming that he did as we all remember when a beloved sydney team were knocked out of the ffa cup after a chest high studz up tackle was given a red and how emotional bozza was over it.

I sure hope he was consistant with his judgement and aired his concerns about a sydney team wrongly winng a continental cup when there were 3 missed pens and covic could have recieved a red....

#trolling
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 am

So did i miss bozzas rant about the standard the final was officiated in ?? I just cant seem to find it.

Im am assuming that he did as we all remember when a beloved sydney team were knocked out of the ffa cup after a chest high studz up tackle was given a red and how emotional bozza was over it.

I sure hope he was consistant with his judgement and aired his concerns about a sydney team wrongly winng a continental cup when there were 3 missed pens and covic could have recieved a red....

#trolling
Amen brutha.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:35 am

#trolling
Too busy advocating for Covic to be included on the socceroos squad.

Good for our team that they haven't but just don't understand how none of our squad have been called up.
mcjules

Postby mcjules Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:54 am

Also on that, great save to win them the trophy and on magnitude of the situation it's hard to beat.

In pure shot stopping ability, I wonder if there is any other keepers in Australia that could be as good if not better?
[youtube]XNLGen170nE?start=15[/youtube]
:?

Return to “Football Asia”