The Southeast Asian football bubble

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Nash
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

The Southeast Asian football bubble

Postby Nash Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Articles and theories abound as to why China can’t find 11 top class players out of 1.3 billion.

Less attention is given to Southeast Asia, a region with about half the population but double the love for football. When it comes to the beautiful game however, passion and population are not always enough.

Of the 20 teams that reached the penultimate round of qualification for the 2014 World Cup, only Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore came from Southeast Asia. Of the total of 18 games played by that trio, only two did not end in defeat.

Nobody expected a place in Brazil - it was 1938 when the region last had a representative in the guise of Dutch East Indies - but it was lamentable nonetheless.

Fans seeking solace in the 2015 Asian Cup may be disappointed. The 2011 tournament was ASEAN-free and as Vietnam, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia plan for the second round of games in qualification on Friday, all are doing so after losing the opening match. Another no-show would not be a surprise
- http://www.aljazeera.com/sport/football ... 62436.html

nothing ground breaking stated but good to see the region gettting more attention.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: The Southeast Asian football bubble

Postby blahblah Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Ah, I could write a thesis on this.

Incidentally, if club football is any measure then it's Thailand to watch in the near future.
Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Postby Interloper Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:27 am

No wonder then that the national team can go and lose 10-0 to Bahrain in World Cup qualification. Some cried foul at the result and bribery may have been easier to swallow than the fact that the team, handicapped by the political situation, was simply terrible.
It's an interesting article, but theres no way that match wasn't rigged. It was the final group game and Qatar needed Indonesia to lose by 9 or more to stand a chance.

I'd theorise rampant corruption is the main thing keeping young players from taking up the game.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm

No wonder then that the national team can go and lose 10-0 to Bahrain in World Cup qualification. Some cried foul at the result and bribery may have been easier to swallow than the fact that the team, handicapped by the political situation, was simply terrible.
It's an interesting article, but theres no way that match wasn't rigged. It was the final group game and Qatar needed Indonesia to lose by 9 or more to stand a chance.

I'd theorise rampant corruption is the main thing keeping young players from taking up the game.
I agree, chatting to my mate who lived in China for a few years. The league there is basically a joke. Everyone knows that so many matches are fixed. Bringing in Beckham as ambassador for the game there is their attempt at brushing over the issues to paint a rosey picture. I say fix the problem then you won't have to paint a picture at all!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Football Asia”