Wake up Australia!

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Wake up Australia!

Postby Stuckey Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:04 pm

Authorities continue to pay scant regard to the role football plays in forging deeper ties with our Asian neighbours.

Two weeks ago I visited a market near the city of Erbil in northern Iraq looking for a replica shirt of the local club side that I’d spent the previous days covering for SBS.

Nestled in amongst the yellow strip – yellow of different hues, to be fair – of Erbil and the ever-present Real Madrid and Barcelona fakes I stumbled across, of all things, an Adelaide United shirt.

It was an AFC Champions League strip complete with a giant Coopers advert (a product that may struggle to crack the tricky Iraq market) and the No. 10 on the front.

Looking at the reverse side, expecting to see Vidosic, there was another surprise as "Podolski" was emblazoned below the collar, but despite the "No. 10 identity crisis" the very fact there was a shirt from Adelaide in Iraq at all was a demonstration of the power of football throughout the continent.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/scott-mc ... ng-bridges

A fantastic article on Australia's desire to be more involved in Asia but ignoring one of the best pathways of football to do it. But Australian Football still has their part to play by embracing more Asian players in the HAL.
Time to Djbate!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Wake up Australia!

Postby EdDog Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Well I'm not sure how much a coincidence it was by WSW choosing Ono over Ballack but I think it was a great move in the end. Surely would be good for A-League rep in Asia.

Also Brisbane (i think) signed a young Japanese guy who seems pretty good.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:34 am

Personally I can't see much point going with young Asian hopefulls. Much like Shin if they were that good we would have to pay shitloads for them and I can't see a HAL club shelling out $200,000 on a hopefull.
I'd rather sell us (with Asian players only) sign bigger names like Ono or maybe Endo to get the rep of the HAL higher in Asia. But as the article suggests success in the ACL (or at least in MVFC's case playing in it a fair bit) is the largest catalyst to gaining fame in Asia.
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Shin was looking 100% better in his 2nd season. Personally I consider his departure to be the first sign of the rot setting in.
General Ashnak
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Pablo Sanchez

Postby General Ashnak Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

So do I, he actually had potential but there was no desire to develop it.
Terry Pratchett wrote:
The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 pm

When did we play in baby blue?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:02 am

Lol the only thing close I can think of his some of Hugene's kits have been colours similar to this.

Return to “Football Asia”