Cheung Sai-ho jumps to death

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Agostinho
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Cheung Sai-ho jumps to death

Postby Agostinho Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:05 pm

One of Hong Kong's best known soccer stars jumped to his death after an argument with his wife, reports said Saturday, as tributes poured in from the city's football community.

Cheung Sai-ho, 35, was named the city's most valuable player in 2003 and was a holder of a world record -- scoring for the Hong Kong youth team 2.8 seconds after the start of a match in the Portsmouth Cup in Britain in 1993.

The talented midfielder, who retired from the sport in 2008, jumped from the window of his 36th floor flat after an argument with his wife, police said, according to the South China Morning Post and Chinese-language Apple Daily.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ho ... public_rss

Sad story. RIP.
#WeAreUnited
David Votoupal
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Re: Cheung Sai-ho jumps to death

Postby David Votoupal Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 am

RIP. A shocking tragedy.

He was arguably the most talented HK footballer of his generation, and one of the few in the last two decades with any real quality. His last international outing was in the 2010 qualifiers.

Hard to believe now, but Hong Kong used to be a credible player in Asian football. It used to attract European stars quite regularly too. Kind of like Malaysia (though not nearly as ghastly), they've let their football fall into a state of disrepair and neglect, but the last few years there's been a couple of good young talents and improved results.
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Hard to believe now, but Hong Kong used to be a credible player in Asian football.
If you look through the history books the change in fortunes in Asian football as a result of issues such as civil conflict has been staggering. Cambodia made 4th place in the Asian Cup in 1972, India were finalists in 68 losing to Israel. Hong Kong managed 3rd place in 1956 and even whipping boys Taiwan were 3rd in 1960. Much of modern Asian football has been about the rise and rise of Japan and to an extent Saudi Arabia.

It was a pity that Cheung Sai-ho had to work through some of the lowest moments of Hong Kong football. His passing is a sad moment for both his family and Hong Kong football.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 pm

DV, I'm beginning to suspect you have a soft spot for Hong Kong football. Well done that man. If you get your cash together you should wander up and try to catch them in either an Asian Cup or World Cup qualifier.
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 pm

LOL because I know my history?

I'd say Singapore is an example of what can be achieved in terms of progress, and Singapore's progress has been quite impressive.
David Votoupal

Postby David Votoupal Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:29 pm

If you look through the history books the change in fortunes in Asian football as a result of issues such as civil conflict has been staggering. Cambodia made 4th place in the Asian Cup in 1972, India were finalists in 68 losing to Israel. Hong Kong managed 3rd place in 1956 and even whipping boys Taiwan were 3rd in 1960. Much of modern Asian football has been about the rise and rise of Japan and to an extent Saudi Arabia.
In fairness Asian football was in a rudimentary phase, exacerbated by politics and lack of development. Now South Korea did qualify for the 1954 World Cup, and both South Korea and Japan took part in the 1962 qualifiers- at that time the Asian and African winners had to play-off against European teams. Nobody was happy when FIFA decided Asia and Africa would share one place between them in 1966, hence only Australia and North Korea turned up.

Interesting that FIFA decided to place Israel and Syria in the European qualifiers (!), but Syria withdrew as a result of the above. All this adds to the mystique that was North Korea in '66.

Really only with the 1970 qualifiers, when FIFA decided to give one place each to Asia, Africa and CONCACAF (which meant two for CONCACAF as Mexico hosted it) did we see the beginnings of modern competition in Asia and then only with the 1974 qualifiers when a whole host of teams took part for the first time.

In the 1970s the following events changed the course of the Asian game:

- the oil-rich Arab nations began to throw money at developing their game, bringing in high-profile foreign coaches, etc. It paid dividends sufficiently for Kuwait and Saudi Arabia to dominate the Asian Cup.

- China emerged from isolation following Mao's death. They quickly became a big hitter in Asia, albeit as "nearly men", nearly qualifying for the 1982 World Cup.

- Japan and South Korea exported their first players to Europe- Yasuhiko Okudera, Cha Bum Kun and Huh Jung Moo.

The growth and development of Asian and African football in this time was because they proved to be good learners, willing to learn from the best. Until 1982, of course, Australia and NZ were very much part of the Asian football circuit. Which we have been part of again since 2006.

Hong Kong was very much at the centre of development in Asia, with a thriving professional league, some big names passing through the league, and healthy local support. The national team even got some decent results like beating China in a World Cup qualifier.

So how did they fall? A combination of neglect, mismanagement and declining public interest in local football. It's often said that in several places in Asia, locals preferring to watch overseas football is a symptom of the problem rather than the cause of it. I tend to agree. But nothing is unfixable, and I suspect that working from the ground up to fix it through youth programs can be achieved.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:30 pm

LOL because I know my history?
Ha, to an extent :D

Hong Kong football isn't exactly high on most people's knowledge base. I love Asian football and can only name South China & Happy Valley off the top of my head.

An interest in different football teams often makes for a convenient excuse to travel. Why not visit Hong Kong and catch South China in the AFC Cup? As good as excuse as any to feat on dim sum and drink yourself silly in the mid-levels.

A case in point is Steelinho's trip to Maldives. Suddenly he knows who is who, about Victory and their AFC Cup campaign etc etc. It makes the world of football that little bit more exotic, which is a good thing indeed.
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Actually, I had at least some knowledge of the Maldives beforehand. I would check for new articles on maldivesoccer.com every couple of weeks or so, last year. That was part of the reason I went out to find a way to go there and coach.

And DV, you do tend to jump at any possible chance to discuss Hong Kong football. Sure seems to be more than about 'knowing your history.'

Return to “Football Asia”