Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Re: J-League 2011

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 am

A few J. League-related reports, with thanks to the football community:

Kashima Antlers photo report of the damage done to Kashima Soccer Stadium and the club house:
http://www.so-net.ne.jp/antlers/news/release/10107

Cesare Polenghi and Teppei Takano's original report of the postponement of games and damage to stadiums:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/201 ... disastrous

Follow-up report concerning the postponement of all games this month:
http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/201 ... e-to-japan

Associated Press report of the same situation:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadi ... Id=6241172

Original copy of Cesare and Teppei's second report, pre-Goal.com edit:
"In the aftermath of the disaster that has struck Japan three days ago, the J.League has decided to call off all games scheduled in March.

Accordingly, the third round of the first division (J1) and the third and fourth of second division (J2) have been postponed to dates to be announced possibly already tomorrow.

The two ACL games to be played in Nagoya and Kashima this midweek and the first two rounds of the Nabisco League Cup as well have been called off, for a total of 43 games postponed.

Besides the mourning mood that engulfs the nation marred by the earthquake and the tsunami that killed at least 2,000, rescheduling is due overall to basic security issues related to electricity and water shortages that continue in various areas of Japan.

The only games involving Japanese teams that will go on in March are the two scheduled in China tomorrow (Tianjin Teda-Gamba Osaka) and Wednesday (Shandong Luneng-Cerezo Osaka), and -at least for now- the two national team games scheduled to be played on March 25th and 29th.

Players involved in the ACL games have shown some discomfort, but also the will to proudly represent their country. Among them, Cerezo Osaka's Teruyuki Moniwa commented: "Considering what is going on in Japan, I am not sure this is the right time to play football, but we will do our best, also to give some hope to the victims of the disaster."

The Cerezo defender's words were echoed by those of Gamba Osaka's Akira Nishino. "This time we did not come [to China] as Gamba, our mission here is to represent our country and to show the strength of Japan," said the 2008 ACL winner manager.

Nishino has some family living in Sendai, and during his latest conference he informed the media that his relatives luckily survived the tsunami.

The J.League committee will meet tomorrow in Tokyo, March 15th, to tentatively decide how to restructure the season.

Including two League Cup rounds, a total of four new dates will be necessary to make up for postponed games in J1. The situation is not simple to unravel, considering also the Japanese national team's commitment to play as a special guest in the Copa America, in July.

In the meantime, charity events organized by clubs and supporters continue. Third division club Parceiro Nagano's fans will join their arch-rivals at Yamaga Matsumoto in fundraising and other activities in support of Japan's recovery effort.

Japan has also received messages of encouragement from many football celebrities, among them the recently retired World champion Ronaldo, Arsenal's Andrei Arshavin and Villareal's Giuseppe Rossi.

Juventus and Brazil's Felipe Melo posted a message in Japanese on his Twitter, while both Real Madrid and CF Barcelona sent messages before their games this past weekend."
I haven't been able to find any more reports of stadiums or photos. I had seen a photo of a baseball stadium in Sendai over the weekend that was completely flooded by the tsunami, but can't seem to find it anymore. Will post any more information as it comes to light.

It should also be noted that all Japan-based Australian players are safe. Spira was on a train at the time of the quake, which I can only imagine would have been the scariest thing to experience, but is safe. Mark Milligan, the other player closest to the damaged areas, was in his apartment at the time and fleed with his family, all of whom are safe.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

I think Josh was also on the train heading to the game with Velgata Sendai. Luckily they hadn't quite reached Tokyo when the quake hit.

Our family are all safe and we've managed to contact a friend in Sendai who is shaken but alive.

I heard that fans have been requesting that rather than refunds for tickets purchased for the matches that all proceeds go towards relief efforts.

The upcoming internationals will be going ahead.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am

I had heard Josh was actually at Nagoya station, about to board a train, but it could be either.

Also heard about Brosque, but I can't remember his situation. Whatever it wasa, I don't think it was too bad.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:01 am

just in, matches are to be cancelled for all of March. Sendai are sending all their players home.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/201 ... m-in-ruins
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 am

I heard a building almost fell on Eddy Bosnar, but Bosnar went in on the building with two feet and the building fell the other way. Then the referee gave the building a second yellow for diving and sent it off.

That may or may not be true. I just thought I should mention something about Bosnar.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

Have read from some news outlets that all J. League matches are indefinitely postponed. JFA will announce today whether they will continue with the Montenegro and New Zealand friendlies and whether they will be move to other stadiums further from Fukushima.

Kashima Antlers have also disbanded for the time being, until things calm down.

And Kokuritsu (Tokyo National Stadium) has light damage to the base of lighting structures, apparently.
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:42 pm

would be incredibly unfortunate but i wouldn't be suprised if they have to cancel the rest of this season.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

would be incredibly unfortunate but i wouldn't be suprised if they have to cancel the rest of this season.
Unlikely, seeing as the season goes until December (or January, if you take the Emperor's Cup into account).

Worst case scenario is that Vegalta Sendai (possibly Mito Hollyhock and a few others, too) have to play the rest of their "home" games in an alternate venue, either somewhere in Hokkaido or further towards the Kanto area.

Sanfrecce Hiroshima and Avispa Fukuoka are playing a charity match this Saturday. The J. League have allowed all clubs to arrange charity matches without the 3-month notification period that is usually enforced, so it's good to see some of the unaffected clubs utilising this straight away.

Also, Mark Milligan, Matt Spiranovic and Jade North have all left their clubs and the country until things calm down, after the J. League advised all clubs to release (or, rather, allow leave) their foreigners until further notice.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 am

I believe the J-League will begin again as soon as they are able. There is a need to return much of Japan to a state of relative normality ASAP. Events such as the J-League play an important part in this.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:42 am

I believe the J-League will begin again as soon as they are able. There is a need to return much of Japan to a state of relative normality ASAP. Events such as the J-League play an important part in this.
That's right.

Several Eastern teams (Hiroshima, Kobe, the Osakas, Fukuoka, etc.) are continuing with charity matches and most clubs are digging deep and also requesting their supporters come to donate money to relief funds. Most have raised money in the tens of thousands of dollars (which is millions of yen).
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 am

J. League to resume April 23.

J. League Select has also been announced for the upcoming "Team as One" charity match against a European-based Japan NT. I'll post it sometime soon.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:19 am

Valencia with names on their shirts printed in Japanese as an homage.

http://www.marca.com/2011/03/20/futbol/ ... 52828.html
#WeAreUnited
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:59 pm

Valencia with names on their shirts printed in Japanese as an homage.

http://www.marca.com/2011/03/20/futbol/ ... 52828.html
wow :up:
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:49 am

The Japan earthquake charity match, Japan NT vs. Team As One (J. League "All-Stars"), will be aired live on Setanta Sports TONIGHT at 8:45 PM Adelaide time (KO at 8:50 PM).

Should be a great game. There are no foreign players in either side, but the Team As One will also include the one and only "King Kazu" Kazuyoshi Miura, the former Yomiuri Verdy, Santos, Palmeiras, Sydney FC, Japan NT and current Yokohama FC star striker. Yes, at the age of 44, he's still playing and still scoring.
Team As One will also be coached by Dragan "Pixy" Stojkovic.
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 pm

great to hear the league has a restart date. that makes me very happy :)

shattered i am not home to watch the match 2nite.

Return to “Football Asia”