ACL qualification

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

bundibundi
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

ACL qualification

Postby bundibundi Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Noticed a little tidbit over at 442 which GA and RU seem to be heavily involved in.

Basically the conclusion of all the discussion is that to make the ACL this year we will have to WIN the GF.

So far in the short history of the league, every team that has made the final either finished 1st or 2nd, meaning no matter the result they both made it. Adelaide has always been in one of those positions in a finals series so its easy to be confused by the rules. However the rule does clearly state that the team that wins the prem goes through and the team that wins the knock out comp goes through. In the case that the same team wins both, the runner up of the LEAGUE goes through. Meaning, da da da daaaa.... CCM.

Even more incentive to make it to the GF and WIN!

If anyone has alternative information or can discount what I've said (basically relaying info from 442) please go ahead.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/defaul ... ts&t=49410
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Re: ACL qualification

Postby ZANZIBAR Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:21 pm

This whole time i have assumed it was the runner up in grand final if the same team won the premiership and championship!
but to be fair i think it should be whoever comes second at the end of the season.
please please please let us win the big one!
Steelinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

That's how I've always understood it; GF winner and 1st/2nd in league.

The winner of the "Championship" (A-League, not nPower, Coca Cola or other) is the top Australian seed. The Premiership is the minor seed and, therefore, is the one to be moved down the ladder if both seeds are the same team.
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:28 pm

So does that mean if a state league team wins the FFA cup they will get an ACL spot?
Time to Djbate!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am

The FFA Cup winner should qualify for the ACL but not at the expense of the finals or league spots if it comes to that.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 am

So does that mean if a state league team wins the FFA cup they will get an ACL spot?
Maybe when we have more qualification spots/don't have a Finals Series.

And there might be something about a team having to be in the respective nation's top division to compete in the tournament, it's an iffy guideline that isn't entirely clarified. I should probably look into it, but I'm somewhat (very) lazy.
bundibundi

Postby bundibundi Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Maybe when we have more qualification spots/don't have a Finals Series.

And there might be something about a team having to be in the respective nation's top division to compete in the tournament, it's an iffy guideline that isn't entirely clarified. I should probably look into it, but I'm somewhat (very) lazy.
You'd have to assume that they'd fall short on one, if not many, of the various criteria teams need to meet in order to compete and depending on whether the FFA would even let them enter.

Anyway, have the 2012 ACL comp guidelines been released yet? Being ever optimistic I am hoping that if GCU dont win the final, by some miracle Bin Hammam decides he likes the A-League again and we get 3 teams in instead of 2. Arent we are eligible by having 10 teams?

I also expect to win the lottery every time I enter and become furious when it doesnt happen.
King_Billy
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby King_Billy Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:25 pm

Noticed a little tidbit over at 442 which GA and RU seem to be heavily involved in.

Basically the conclusion of all the discussion is that to make the ACL this year we will have to WIN the GF.
If the champion is also the premier. The GF runner up makes the ACL.
So far in the short history of the league, every team that has made the final either finished 1st or 2nd, meaning no matter the result they both made it.
Season 1. The premier (us) was knocked out in the prelim leaving 2nd and 3rd playing off for the championship and second ACL spot.
When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:02 pm

That's incorrect, and your example doesn't even back up your claim.
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 pm

That's incorrect
It was the case in 08/09
A spot in next season’s Asian Champions League is also up for grabs and the Reds will be determined to go one better than they did this season.
http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/ ... oar-228421

And it still is this year
The prize will not only be a berth in the grand final eight days later, but also a berth in next year's Asian Champions League alongside the premiership-winning Roar regardless of the result in the decider at Suncorp Stadium.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/gol ... 6013161737,
and your example doesn't even back up your claim.
My example wasn't backing any claim up. It was just pointing out that bundibundi was wrong when he said all the teams that have made the final have been the teams finishing first and second.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm

What bundibundi most likely meant was that when the qualification rule has come into question (as in "Which runner up gets it?") then 1st/2nd teams have both competed in the Grand Final.

That Tribal Football article still doesn't prove anything, as we came 2nd in both and that was the point.

As for the Courier Mail one, I'd like to know who does their research. GF winner is the top-seeded qualification spot; if Brisbane win that, they go through on that merit. The next qualification spot then falls down to the runner-up of the league, being the Mariners.
King_Billy

Postby King_Billy Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:40 pm

What bundibundi most likely meant was that when the qualification rule has come into question (as in "Which runner up gets it?") then 1st/2nd teams have both competed in the Grand Final.
Ok, I understand now. The premier has always played the team in second etc.
That Tribal Football article still doesn't prove anything, as we came 2nd in both and that was the point.

As for the Courier Mail one, I'd like to know who does their research. GF winner is the top-seeded qualification spot; if Brisbane win that, they go through on that merit. The next qualification spot then falls down to the runner-up of the league, being the Mariners.
I've found 2 sources that say you're wrong (both dubious I know). See if you can find a dubious source that says I'm wrong (forumite opinions don't count).

Of course the team who comes second in the league should get the second spot. That should be proof enough that I'm right as the FFA always do what is less logical.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Like I mentioned over at 442, it's still demonstratively unclear this season as we've got second place playing first place in the Grand Final yet again.

However the FFA have replied to one of the 442 staff regarding the entry criteria and have insisted that if both Premiers and Champions are the same team, that the GF runner up will get the 2nd ACL spot.

I still find it rather interesting that the FFA have bypassed the AFC regulations.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 am

Still no clear answer, considering the two qualified teams.

If we DO have the GF runner-up as the qualifier, then we are the only nation to my knowledge in the AFC that applies such a rule. Every other one returns to the next in the league, if the cup winner has already qualified. (i.e. J. League 4th place qualifies if the Emperor's Cup winner has already earned a place in the tournament.)

Return to “Football Asia”