Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Asian Olympic Qualifiers

Postby blahblah Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 am

The qualifiers have just kicked off with the preliminary rounds underway. Australia and the other higher ranked nations join in June. Rumour is that Viddie will be fielding a young side with many of the u20's getting a call up.

The results for the first leg of the preliminary round are:

THAILAND-PALESTINE 1:0
JORDAN-CHINESE TAIPEI 1:0
YEMEN-SINGAPORE (3rd of March)
KUWAIT-BANGLADESH 2:0
MALAYSIA-PAKISTAN 2:0
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES-SRI LANKA (8th of March)
INDIA-MYANMAR 2:1
OMAN-TAJIKISTAN 4:1
INDONESIA-TURKMENISTAN 1:3
I.R. IRAN-KYRGYZSTAN 1:0
HONG KONG-MALDIVES 4:0

Given it is youth sides there isn't much to take from this though I am surprised Hong Kong managed to dispatch Maldives with such ease and Indonesia are no doubt wondering about the state of the game there at the moment. The side I am really interested in here is UAE who have yet to play as there youth development programme seems to be bearing fruit of late and I'd like to see if the production line is still in full swing.
Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Re: Asian Olympic Qualifiers

Postby Steelinho Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:56 am

No doubt will Singapore and UAE get through.

Excellent result for Hong Kong, very happy for them. Great to see players in their upcoming generation showing a lot of promise. There's a possibility they could cause a few more upsets along the way and it would be great to see. But did it have to be against the Maldives?

Good result for Turkmenistan, too. Indonesia would be really unhappy with that one.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:32 am

UAE spanked Sri Lanka 7:1 while the Yemen game has been postponed, I assume due to the current protests in Sa'ana. I assume they will play the game at a neutral venue once one is determined (UAE or Qatar would be my bet as both countries have many Yemeni guest workers).
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:11 pm

A few games played yesterday, the teams in bold are progressing to the next round.

PALESTINE-THAILAND 1:1 PSO 5:6
CHINESE TAIPEI-JORDAN 0:2
SINGAPORE-YEMEN (postponed)
BANGLADESH-KUWAIT 0:3
PAKISTAN-MALAYSIA 0:0
SRI LANKA-UNITED ARAB EMIRATES actually to be played tomorrow but I can't see anything other than a UAE progression
MYANMAR-INDIA 1:1
TAJIKISTAN-OMAN 1:3
TURKMENISTAN-INDONESIA 1:0
KYRGYZSTAN-I.R. IRAN 0:0
MALDIVES-HONG KONG 0:3

In all only a few interesting points. Maldives have either really fallen off the pace or Hong Kong have really strengthened. On past form this is the most surprising result.

Palestine were unlucky to lose to Thailand on penalties. It was a historic game as it marked the first ever competitive international game to be played in the Palestinian territories.

Kyrgyzstan also seem to have made Iran work very hard. One cannot help but feel if they'd drawn slightly kinder opposition that they may have scraped through. In all a good result for the boys from Bishkek however I know they will be very disappointed having come so close.

The draw for the next round will be held on the 30th of March and we'll get to see who Australia is placed with. The next round of games is scheduled for the 19th & 23rd of June.

For the record I can see the UAE being the real dark horses for this tournament. They've been investing heavily in their youth programmes for some time and I believe the dividends are starting to be delivered. Given their relatively low ranking they could find themselves knocking one of the big sides out of the tournament in the next round.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Australia and the other higher ranked nations join in June.
No talk of where these will be played?
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat May 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Thailand have been dumped from the tournament for playing a suspended player, so Palestine are in. Games are on the 19th & 23rd. I'm not sure where Australia is playing, including the return leg.

QATAR-INDIA
IRAQ-I.R. IRAN
BAHRAIN-PALESTINE
AUSTRALIA-YEMEN
JAPAN-KUWAIT
SYRIA-TURKMENISTAN
DPR KOREA-UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
KOREA REPUBLIC-JORDAN
UZBEKISTAN-HONG KONG
SAUDI ARABIA-VIETNAM
CHINA P.R.-OMAN
LEBANON-MALAYSIA
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Sun May 08, 2011 11:32 am

Oh baby! I just realised I'll be in London during the olympics! I'm going to every Olyroo game!!! They better qualify!
Time to Djbate!
Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Fri May 20, 2011 10:17 am

Oh baby! I just realised I'll be in London during the olympics! I'm going to every Olyroo game!!! They better qualify!
Lucky!

I'll probably be in a North Korean prison.

I have to be honest, I'm still pretty surprised that Turkmenistan did the job over Indonesia. Doesn't say much for at least the next half-decade of football for some SEA nations.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:17 am

How did we look last night? I saw the highlights we didn't seem terrible but obviously if we want to do anything in London we'll have to improve.
Time to Djbate!
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:52 am

How did we look last night? I saw the highlights we didn't seem terrible but obviously if we want to do anything in London we'll have to improve.
Very, very good for large parts of the game. Japan are overall a more polished side but the scoreline flattered them. We seemed to lose concentration at the back in the second half and they pounced on our errors.

We dominated the first half though (although they still had a couple of chances and ultimately converted one).
#WeAreUnited
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am

Very, very good for large parts of the game. Japan are overall a more polished side but the scoreline flattered them. We seemed to lose concentration at the back in the second half and they pounced on our errors.

We dominated the first half though (although they still had a couple of chances and ultimately converted one).
Would that come down to our lack of match fitness?
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm

For both sides it was a hit out to test some players and systems and I think both teams would be happy with what they learnt. From what it sounds (I couldn't even get the game on the internet; I did try) we lacked a little decisiveness up front. Something someone like Leckie may be able to address though I still view him as a shadow striker/AM type.

The Japanese played a purely domestic side as well which was a little surprising as not all the international u23's were selected for the Japan-Peru game. I'm not sure why Kagawa, Myaichi, Hosogai, Inui (ok, Cerezo Osaka, however still a gun) etc were missing from either side. I assume they are being rested or are carrying injuries.

In all though a valuable experience for all involved.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:53 pm

FIFA has confirmed that the Qantas Olyroos’ upcoming Preliminary Round 2 matches of the 2012 London Olympics Asian Qualifiers will be played at Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford and Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle on Sunday 19 June and Thursday 23 June respectively.

The circumstances that led to this decision being made began from 30 March when the draw was conducted at AFC house. When it was learned that the Qantas Olyroos were to face Yemen in the two-legged fixture, FFA received advice from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade that it was not advisable to travel to Yemen due to the exceptional security concerns currently associated with travel to that country. Due to this advice, FFA made an offer to the Yemen FA for FFA to host both matches in Australia, which the Yemen FA agreed to. This mutual agreement was then subsequently ratified by FIFA.

So how did we score two home games! I'm surprised they didn't schedule it for at least a near by county. But OK!
Time to Djbate!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:06 am

So how did we score two home games! I'm surprised they didn't schedule it for at least a near by county. But OK!
I agree, it appears a tad harsh on Yemen. Good for us I suppose however it is a pity the boys don't get a chance to go to Sa'ana due to the situation there. From all accounts it is a fascinating city.
Stuckey

Postby Stuckey Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Just thinking we should have pretty much played our U/23 squad against NZ here. Its more important that they are match fit then Lucas Neill or Kennedy. Plus we got the bonus of hopefully securing a few players with dual citizenship to Australia!
Time to Djbate!

Return to “Football Asia”