Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: ACL 2011

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 am

I think that Melbourne's poor approach to the ACL (3 strikers, really?!?) is best put in context by Arema Indonesia who also went to Osaka to face Cerezo Osaka and managed a very credible 2:1 loss. If Arema Indonesia can do it then surely Victory should be able to manage something vaguely similar.

A couple of interesting results thus far include Al Sadd (QAT) managing a very good 1-1 away draw with Esteghlal (IRN) and Sepahan (IRN) getting a 1-2 away win at Al Hilal (KSA). Biggest upset though is reserved for Tianjin (CHI) who went to Jeju (KOR) and came away with a 1:0 win.
Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:50 am

The biggest surprise in East Asia, apparently, is Hangzhou Greentown (Adam Griffith's club) beating Nagoya Grampus 2-0 at home.

Whether or not Nagoya actually have their eyes on the ACL title or not is another question, methinks Stojkovic might be concentrating on a J. League title defence. Nonetheless, top work from Hangzhou.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 pm

Kashima Antlers v Sydney FC game has been postponed.
#WeAreUnited
Abdul
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio

Postby Abdul Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 pm

Melbourne fail yet again. They should forget about the ACL, period.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:17 pm

and once again they embarress the whole of the Australian league with 4k crowd. pathetic
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:35 pm

i didnt watch the game, but WOW!!

Forget the fact that they lost, 4K crowd in a 56k stadium!!

I just do not understand MV fans! Sure they will use the excuse that ACL means nothing to them and the only reason why we turn up as reds fans to ACL is because we have done so well in it. But thats crap! i think most of us are just excited to see united play regardless of the competition.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 pm

i didnt watch the game, but WOW!!

Forget the fact that they lost, 4K crowd in a 56k stadium!!

I just do not understand MV fans! Sure they will use the excuse that ACL means nothing to them and the only reason why we turn up as reds fans to ACL is because we have done so well in it. But thats crap! i think most of us are just excited to see united play regardless of the competition.
because, good Sir, Victory are a team; we are a club.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:46 am

Stupid place for a football match.

Docklands Stadium,
Like Waverley it was built for Australian Rules Football, unlike most grounds of a similar size in Australia which were originally designed for cricket.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad_Stadium

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 am

Stupid place for a football match.

Docklands Stadium,
Like Waverley it was built for Australian Rules Football, unlike most grounds of a similar size in Australia which were originally designed for cricket.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etihad_Stadium

B)
True, but the Gamba Osaka game had a big crowd in a round stadium, though the japanese really arnt ones to complain they just seem happy to add something to the game..

Maybe the FFA is a little to blame? Was there any advertising in melbourne of the game or did it become irrelevant with AFL starting up?

Still its a poor excuse, almost 10 000 AU fans went to the first home game against pohang last year after we won the wooden spoon with very little media about the ACL game .
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:34 am

Adelaide United gets ACL fever. There's an excitement in the air of every game and we love having Asian opponents to watch and play against.

Melbourne Victory get ACL cold sores. It looks ugly from the start and only gets worse, so nobody wants to go anywhere near it.

That, my friends, is the difference.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Its just Melbourne fans throwing their toys out the pram "oh we don't care about the ACL". They only don't care though because they keep performing poorly.
#WeAreUnited
RedsFan31
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassio
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: We are the Army

Postby RedsFan31 Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

I was in disbelief when i saw the crowd (or lack of) on TV and when i heard the figure i was disgusted. The ACL is our regions highest level of club competition. It should be an honour to be involved in it as a club and the chance to see your side up against the best our confederation has to offer should make fans mouths water.

The fact that Melbourne Victory as a club and its fans treat this competition with such contempt should have repercussions. I can't help but think of not just our fans but fans of most of the other clubs in the league who would be desperate to see their side involved in this. If MV refuse to embrace this competition and continue to disregard the fact that thier involvement is a representation of our entire league they should no longer be granted the opportunity to compete
We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought. - Sir Bobby Robson
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Adelaide is simply a FOOTBALL City!
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:35 am

I prefer my analogy.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:08 am

Obviously it's been a disjointed round with Kashima and Nagoya postponing their games and Gamba playing in China without their minds on the job. Apart from these issues other games went ahead and some clubs are starting to emerge as contenders.

Out West Sepahan is looking the goods following their impressive 1:2 away win over Saudi giants Al Hilal they hosted Al Jazira (UAE) at home and spanked them 5:1.

FC Seoul are looking dangerous, I watched the game against Hangzhou and the Chinese really had no answer to Dejan Damjanovic. It looked damn cold as well.

Interestingly Sydney's effort with 10 men has been put in some perspective with Suwon demolishing Shanghai 4:0. Perhaps there is some hope for the A-League sides yet, as it sure as hell isn't coming from Victoria.

Return to “Football Asia”