ACL 2011

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Re: ACL 2011

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:14 am

FC Seoul are major contenders this year. Their foreigners are those that can really change the game (Dejan, Djeparov and Molina in particular) and they've got themselves a big squad list this season to ensure they can stay competitive on all fronts. They could really go far and help make South Korean clubs the standout force this decade.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 pm

Sepahan in Group A and Al Ittihad in Group C look to have their groups sewn up at the half way mark. Al Hilal is 3 points befind Sepahan however will need to win in Iran to have any chance.

After work today they are showing the Suwon-Kashima game on the big screen on the sports bar next to my place which should be a cracker of a game. Hopefully Geynrikh is playing as I'd love to see how Nakata & Inoha deal with him.

I'm going to check the Korean & Japanese channels as well though as I'd really love to see the Nagoya - Seoul game. Now that should be a good game indeed.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Nagoya Grampus picked up their first win last night, 4-0 at home against Al Ain of the United Arab Emirates. Mu Kazazaki scored two in the first half, while an own goal and a Jungo Fujimoto free kick following a red card offence sealed the win for Dragan Stojkovic. Josh also played the full game.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Nagoya Grampus picked up their first win last night, 4-0 at home against Al Ain of the United Arab Emirates. Mu Kazazaki scored two in the first half, while an own goal and a Jungo Fujimoto free kick following a red card offence sealed the win for Dragan Stojkovic. Josh also played the full game.
the result puts them back on track, especially as Hangzhou only managed a draw at home to Al Ain. The Nagoya-Hangzhou game is likely to decide the group unless Nagoya pull off a shock in Korea.
leeds4eva
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaías

Postby leeds4eva Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 am

Shitney 0-3 Kashima.

And with that we are still Aussie kings of Asia, so B)
"The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, that's a fact. Everything else is pure theory."
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 pm

It was a good effort by Sydney to keep on coming at Shanghai; nice goal by Jamo as it was :)

I watched the Seoul - Nagoya game and the back four from Japan were simply outstanding. They blocked everything (which is a good thing as Narazaki had an absolute howler of a game).

One thing though is the change in the hairstyle of Djeparov (who I thought had a decent game). It seems he's a man destined to have memorable hair.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:01 am

A decent win for Melbourne Victory last night (though I'm sure they would've taken any kind of win). Overall a very scrappy match (and not at all played in good spirits) and they can probably count themselves lucky on a few decisions. (How Robbie Kruse got away with pushing a player is beyond me, regardless of how little Robbie Slater thought of the incident.) Definitely helped Victory that Tianjin were understrength going into the second half, but again, I'm sure they'll take anything right now.

Got to wonder how much Grant Brebner's comments the other day actually helped fire up the side in preparation for the game. I'm sure it had some influence, even if it was a miniscule amount.

Turns out to be a good week for Australian football, even if I'm sure most AU supporters won't be too happy about the result.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Turns out to be a good week for Australian football, even if I'm sure most AU supporters won't be too happy about the result.
I'm happy about it.
#WeAreUnited
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:26 pm

A number of groups are really tight this year and with only two games to go only Al Ittihad have secured a spot in the next round. 1st place in the groups stage really matters as the next round is a single leg tie at the home ground of the top of each group.

At this stage in Group A Sepahan and Al Hilal look likely to go through. The next game Sepahan hosts Al Hilal and the winner is likely to top the group.

In Group B anything could happen. The difference between top (Al Sadd) and bottom (Pakhtakor) is 4 points.

In Group C Al Ittihad are through and if Bunyodkor see off Al Wahda in Tashkent it should be enough to see them through.

In Group D Zobahan are leading however have two tough games. If Emirates and Al Shabab win their next game (both at home) then this will go down to the wire.

In Group E there are only three points between Tainjin on top and Melbourne on bottom. Melbourne need to defeat Gamba at the Docklands............ I'm not convinced this will happen. I think Usami will show the Victory supporters just how kids in Japan can play. My guess is that Jeju and Gamba will account for Tianjin & Melbourne over the next two legs and progress. In reality though this group could go anywhere.

In Group F I can't see Nagoya or Seoul missing out unless Hangzhou really pull something out of the hat. Due to head to heads Nagoya could even go through top of the group.

In Group G Jeonbuk are looking good to top the group after their 1:0 win over Cerezo however I do believe the Japanese will get through though it will be decided in the last game when they host Shandong. Inui to continue to star.

Group H it is tight however Sydney have two away games and I feel it will be too much. Barring an upset I expect Kashima and Suwon to progress.
David Votoupal
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcos Flores

Postby David Votoupal Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Sydney would be looking to become the first team to get through the group stages without winning at home.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu May 05, 2011 2:42 pm

Coming into the final round of games with only Zobahan in Group D confirmed a top spot (though Jeonbuk can pretty well pencil in their top spot).

Final round games that will be absolute crackers include:

Esteghlal vs Al Nassr: The Iranians need 3 points (and to ensure the Saudi's don't score) to go through. Normally I wouldn't bother however the fact is McKain's Al Nassr has yet to garner more than a draw away from home. Expect a huge crowd for this one.

Gamba Osaka v Tianjin Teda: With Melbourne Victory & Jeju United both in position to overtake Gamba expect the Japanese to come out with all guns firing. Tianjin won't take it lying down (unless they roll about as much as they did last night against Jeju; Li Weifeng was a disgrace) as if they lose they will likely lose top spot to Gamba. The Olguin - Nakazawa clash will be crucial unless they wheel out the more experiences Kazumichi Takagi to do the job. Clearly this man needs to be stopped.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed May 11, 2011 11:59 am

Cerezo Osaka spanked Shandong last night who adopted the same tactics they employed with considerable more success against us, hack 'em to death. The Chinese players were really scything the Japanese and picked up a myriad of yellows early however at the end of the day the boys in purple and pink were, despite their uniforms, just too good. Inui had another great game and Kim Jin-Hyun looked very comfortable in goals despite steady rain.
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Wed May 11, 2011 2:26 pm

^^ And if Gamba beat Tianjin tonight, the Round of 16 will feature an Osaka derby...
#WeAreUnited
blahblah

Postby blahblah Wed May 11, 2011 5:53 pm

^^ And if Gamba beat Tianjin tonight, the Round of 16 will feature an Osaka derby...
It's an odds on chance. It's also likely that Nagoya will be hosting Kashima and Suwon will host Seoul. There's going to be no love lost in the round of 16 out East B)
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Anyone plan on watching the 1/4s tonight?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge

Return to “Football Asia”