2012 AFC Challenge Cup

Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Re: 2012 AFC Challenge Cup

Postby Steelinho Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I'll be missing them; I'm not in the Maldives for a few months yet (May), but that instead gives me a lot of time to work out how I should prepare my drills and routines, depending on how the Maldives do in their group. Hoping they do really well, so the enthusiasm is still peaking when I get there.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 pm

on the AFC site they now have live streaming for matches. You should be able to watch the games there though it does require a fee. If you can't then the same site has highlights of all the games for free which I sometimes peruse.

It's great for things like the normal club games in different leagues and AFC Challenge Cup.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I think I'll probably live on mostly highlights, maybe catch one or two games if time permits on weekends. Regardless, I'll be watching with great interest.

For the games you catch, make sure you let us know your thoughts.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:18 pm

The group stage of the qualifiers kicks off today. Maldives v Cambodia is on at 11pm Phnom Penh time so I should be able to catch the game live.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm

I stayed up however the game wasn't on and I left the laptop at work. Thank God for small mercies as Cambodia were hammered 4:0 with Ashfaq Ali running riot and banging in 3 goals in the process.

In other games Palestine beat Bangladesh which is good for them and Philippines held Myanmar to a 1:1 draw which is good considering the game is held in Myanmar. Interestingly Neil Etheridge appears to have been allowed by Fulham to play, as has Rob Gier from Ascot..... I may need to look into that as it doesn't sound right.

The rest of the games more or less went to script
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 am

Go Maldives (and super Ashfaq Ali)!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:44 am

In group C Maldives had another win over 10 man Kyrgyzstan (2:1) and Tajikistan creamed the disappointing Cambodians ( :( ) 3:0. Maldives & Tajikistan go through to the 2012 finals.

In Group B India & Tajikistan go through with a game to play with Pakistan & Taiwan yet to score a point.

In Group A it is actually interesting. Bangladesh managed an upset against Myanmar and two sides that have impressed, Palestine & Philippines, fought out a draw. It leaves Palestine on top with 4, Bangladesh 3, Philippines 2, Myanmar 1. The last rounds sees Palestine v Myanmar and Philippines v Bangladesh. I think the Philippines have too much class for Bangladesh and will get their first win to go through. Myanmar to fold under pressure and their coach Milan Zivadinovic who has an, er, shall we say "colourful" past will be given the flick.

Group D doesn't kick off until April as Bhutan & Afghanistan face off for the play-off. The boys from Kabul managed a 3:0 win in Thimpu last night and I can't see Bhutan overturning that result in Kabul.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:54 am

Go Maldives (and super Ashfaq Ali)!
You should see the match sheet for Maldives v Kyrgyzstan (click on the scores in the AFC site's shedules & results section of the Challenge Cup). Maldives is listed as starting with 1 goalkeeper, 4 defenders, 1 midfielder and 5 forwards. Now that is what I call confidence :D
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:32 am

Ali Ashadh's looking even better now, he scored the opener in that 2-1 win and also scored for VB in the AFC Cup. No wonder VB dominate the Dhivehi League, with their forwards (and the rest of the team) taking up such a massive chunk of the national side.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Palestine and Philippines are through in group A. Hosts Myanmar lost the last game 1:3 to Philippines and really must have their tails between their legs.

India and Turkmenistan are predictably through in group B.

Group C, Cambodia almost managed a draw in the last game :) , going down 3:4 to Kyrgyzstan. Maldives and Tajikistan go through.

Afghanistan defeated Bhutan 5:0 on aggregate and will be through to Group D when it commences early April.
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 am

Top of the group by +1 goal difference! Brilliant.

So it turns out that one of the Maldivian players is from Velidoo and will be part of the advertising campaign for the coaching camp (mostly posters in which apparently both he and I will appear). I'm not actually sure which one, but it's not any of the "star" players. But still, pretty cool.

And in a few weeks time, we'll witness North Korea absolutely demolish their group. (At least, they should.)
Nash
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Eugene and Cassio

Postby Nash Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 pm

how much longer until u get into it Steelinho?
Steelinho

Postby Steelinho Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:52 am

Arrive in Male on May 29, and then leave for Velidoo and start two months from now on the 30th.

I'm actually arriving at the camp a little late, which is a bit concerning as it means I don't get the chance to have the kids from the very start and therefore won't have a lot of time to understand them before I get stuck in. Kind of like being thrown in the deep end, but I'm still hoping to have some impact.
Also, I hope the coaches there before me understand that youth coaching is totally different from adults.

Also volunteered my services to a netball camp they'll also be doing around the same time, if I have enough spare time to juggle both at once. That should be interesting; my netball experience is minimal at best.
Thankfully I work with a few netball people. Might ask for some tips from them.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Nepal had a great game against North Korea, losing 1-0. I've seen Nepal play before and either they have improved immeasurably or North Korea are in serious decline. Or it is one off and simply 'football'.

Afghanistan defeated Sri Lanka 1-0 as well. At this stage it's looking likely that Nepal along with North Korea will progress.

Return to “Football Asia”