Discuss Asian Football right here!

Moderator: Moderators Group

blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Qatar 2011

Postby blahblah Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Japan seems to have something of a setback with Tulio looking like he'll be injured for the tournament. Given the sheer depth of the Samurai Blue I'm not sure if it is a setback or merely an opportunity for another talent-laden youngster to step forward.

South Korea may also be playing more youth with Hamburg striker Son Heung-Min making it into the provisional squad (mind you, it is a big provisional squad). Still, it is a great vote of confidence in the 18 y.o.

India are panicking. They have had a woeful November with some heavy friendly defeats including a 9-1 belting by Kuwait and a 5-0 drubbing by UAE. Throw in the fact they have 11 injuries to their squad and things are not looking good for Bob Houghton.
Steelinho
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Yuujiin Garekkobicchi

Re: Qatar 2011

Postby Steelinho Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Japan's 50-man training squad is pretty interesting. A few notable exclusions, like Seigo Narazaki, which was a bit of a surprise for me, considering he's just won the league's MVP award and was hands down the best 'keeper in the whole season.

If I've made any mistakes in this translation, it's excused by default out of exhaustion from a long day.

Code: Select all

GK  SOGAHATA Hitoshi - Kashima Antlers KAWASHIMA Eiji - Lierse SK (Belgium) HIGASHIGUCHI Masaaki - Albirex Niigata NISHIKAWA Shusaku - Sanfrecce Hiroshima GONDA Shuichi - FC Tokyo      DF  NAKAZAWA Yuji - Yokohama F. Marinos IWAMASA Daiki - Kashima Antlers KONNO Yasuyuki - FC Tokyo NAGATA Mitsuru - Albirex Niigata KURIHARA Yuzo - Yokohama F. Marinos KOMIYAMA Takanobu - Kawasaki Frontale INOHA Masahiko - Kashima Antlers MORIWAKI Ryota - Sanfrecce Hiroshima NAGATOMO Yuto - AC Cesena (Italy, loan from FC Tokyo) MAKINO Tomoaki - Sanfrecce Hiroshima MORISHIGE Masato - FC Tokyo NISHI Daigo - Albirex Niigata UCHIDA Atsuto - FC Schalke 04 (Germany) YOSHIDA Maya - VVV Venlo (Holland) MARUHASHI Yusuke - Cerezo Osaka SAKAI Gotoku - Albirex Niigata     MF  ENDO Yasuhito - Gamba Osaka NAKAMURA Kengo - Kawasaki Frontale MATSUI Daisuke - FC Tom Tomsk (Russia) ABE Yuki - Leicester City (England) HASEBE Makoto - VfL Wolfsburg (Germany) FUJIMOTO Jungo - Shimizu S-Pulse YANO Kisho - SC Freiburg (Germany) HONDA Takuya - Shimizu S-Pulse KAJIYAMA Yohei - FC Tokyo SEKIGUCHI Kunimitsu - Vegalta Sendai AOYAMA Toshihiro - Sanfrecce Hiroshima HOSOGAI Hajime - Urawa Red Diamonds HONDA Keisuke - CSKA Moscow (Russia) IENAGA Akihiro - Cerezo Osaka KOHROGI Shinzoh Kashima Antlers KASHIWAGI Yosuke - Urawa Red Diamonds INUI Takashi - Cerezo Osaka KANAZAKI Mu - Nagoya Grampus KIYOTAKE Hiroshi - Cerezo Osaka YONEMOTO Takuji - FC Tokyo HARAGUCHI Genki - Urawa Red Diamonds USAMI Takashi - Gamba Osaka     FW  MAEDA Ryoichi - Jubilo Iwata HIRAYAMA Sota - FC Tokyo LEE Tadanari - Sanfrecce Hiroshima OKAZAKI Shinji - Shimizu S-Pulse HIRAI Shoki - Gamba Osaka MORIMOTO Takayuki - Catania (Italy) KAGAWA Shinji - Borussia Dortmund (Germany)
Some interesting selections, focuses on very specific J. League clubs and not many more from the domestic comp. Great to see a Sendai player in there, though.
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:52 am

the Japan squad minus Morimoto who I believe may be having some work done on his knee. It will be interesting to see how the back line fares without Tulio.

Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Lierse SK, Belgium), Shusaku Nishikawa (Sanfrecce Hiroshima, Japan), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo, Japan)

Defenders: Daiki Iwamasa (Kashima Antlers, Japan), Yasuyuki Konno (FC Tokyo, Japan), Masahiko Inoha (Kashima Antlers, Japan), Yuto Nagatomo (Cesena, Italy), Tomoaki Makino (Sanfrecce Hiroshima, Japan) Atsuto Uchida (Schalke, Germany), Maya Yoshida (VVV Venlo, Netherlands), Gotoku Sakai (Albirex Niigata, Japan)

Midfielders: Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka, Japan), Daisuke Matsui (FK Tom Tomsk, Russia), Makoto Hasebe (Wolfsburg, Germany), Jungo Fujimoto (Shimizu S-Pulse, Japan), Takuya Honda (Shimizu S-Pulse, Japan), Hajime Hosogai (Urawa Red Diamonds, Japan), Keisuke Honda (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Yosuke Kashiwagi (Urawa Red Diamonds, Japan), Shinji Kagawa (Borussia Dortmund, Germany)

Forwards: Ryoichi Maeda (Jubilo Iwata, Japan), Tadanari Lee (Sanfrecce Hiroshima, Japan), Shinji Okazaki (Shimizu S-Pulse, Japan)
Agostinho
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jeronicello Ferreira

Postby Agostinho Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:32 am

12 days away!
#WeAreUnited
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:49 am

Goal.com have put together profiles for all the sides at the Asian Cup. It makes for interesting reading.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/3550/asian- ... m-profiles
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Shall we keep it all here?

Cahill is thinking...
And so it's with a hint of disappointment that the 31-year-old - who sits equal fourth on the league's top scorers list - has to put his career-best performance with the Toffees on hold for national duties.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/asi ... 5981651906

Maybe he won't feel so bad if Australia actually win the damn thing.

The World Game...
Socceroos star Tim Cahill admits he'll wonder what might have been had the Asian Cup not interrupted his career-best run of form with Everton.
But the passionate midfielder says disappointment at missing an important month for his struggling English Premier League club is tempered by the chance to do "something special" with Australia in Qatar this month.
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/103 ... ng-special

And...
"I've got no plans to retire as yet," Schwarzer said after arriving in Socceroos camp in Dubai.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/mar ... 5981491939

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah

Postby blahblah Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 pm

First game kicks off tonight with Qatar v Uzbekistan. Qatar will be relying on Soria to find some form though I suspect he will continue to struggle.

Uzbekistan on the other hand have Djeparov in fine form with FC Seoul and Shatskikh is still banging in goals in Ukraine and is likely to cause some troubles for a young Qatari defence.

My tip, Soria to struggle up front and likes of Ismail and Kosala to be unable to contain the experienced Uzbek strikers. Uzbekistan 2-0
blahblah

Postby blahblah Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:08 am

A great first goal from Akhmedov which hit the underside of the bar during a period where Qatar was being absolutely overrun pretty well summed up the Qatari's night. Cesar tried to get his side back into the game but the the Uzbeks, particularly Geynrikh, were just too good. At least half the crowd left when they were 2-0 down but still had 15-20 minutes on the clock!

The game tonight is Kuwait v China. Kuwait are a much more technical and nimble side whilst China have opted for size and speed. Hao Junmin is going to have to give them a smooth transition from attack to defence as I believe they'll sit back and bit and try to hit on the counter with a few attacks starting from Du Wei at centreback (similar to what they did with effect against Korea & Japan at the East Asia Championship). As usual Kuwait will be relying on Al Mutwa to score their goals. As we've seen the Kuwaiti's can play, however there isn't much expectation (and hence pressure) on the Chinese and this has been their bogey in the past. I think the large, fast Chinese defense will contain Al Mutwa and maybe hit them on the counter. My tip is China 1-0 though this game could really do anything.
ZANZIBAR
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:15 pm

can we expect the same from the Qatari supporters during 2022WC when they fail to get a point in the tournament?
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:07 pm

i dont think qatar have auto qualification for the 2022 world cup.

meh they would already be planning on paying promising teenage around 2016 to move to qatar for the long term and naturalise so they can play in the world cup, can anyone tell me how many of qatars squad were actually born there?
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 pm

i dont think qatar have auto qualification for the 2022 world cup.

What?
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah I'd be surprised if they didn't have automatic qualification.
#WeAreUnited
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:45 pm

oh i thought i heard somewhere they are the only bid ever accepted to not have auto qualification,

Is anyone else slightly annoyed we dont get to watch this tournament on FTA , but we do get to watch American college Football live, rediculous
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
sevengoals

Re:

Postby sevengoals Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 pm

oh i thought i heard somewhere they are the only bid ever accepted to not have auto qualification,

Is anyone else slightly annoyed we dont get to watch this tournament on FTA , but we do get to watch American college Football live, rediculous
American college Football live?
Which FTA in Oz shows "American college Football live"?

That's strange.

No Roots, No Growth!
Agostinho

Postby Agostinho Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:13 am

One HD sevengoals - it's a new(ish) 24 hour sports channel run by channel 10.
#WeAreUnited

Return to “Football Asia”