Melbourne City v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby otto62 Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:22 am

I don’t think there’s apathy in the fan base yet, just have to look at our crowds. Sevengoals obviously wasn’t able to post during the game, and nor was I, and between us that’s got to be another two pages of post at least. 😂

I agree the club need to get quality in, especially considering the players we’ve sold off. I’m still happy to wait and see, but if Mauk goes to another a-league club instead of us, I’ll be very unhappy.
MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:01 pm

HAving slept on it, a few reflections on the game.
As you said Otto, it really looked like a patchwork and disjointed team. All 3 lines were quite ineffective but in particular our midfield besides Yull was extremely poor, HT subs made it even worse and moving Isa to CB made it more obvious.
Defence was ok but honesty soeaking, City looked like scoring on multiple occasions in the first 20mins and we still look quite unstable back there with no consistent pairings all season.
Forwards were also quite poor, many poor decisions and though Halloren and Clough offered very little, felt like Nestor was the only hope at times and he tried to do too much as a result. Hiro looked on form so very disappointing we could not create any chances for him.

As for the subs, as has happened a bit this season, they made us worse. Alagich was poor, Duzel I just dont see what he offers and Jovaanvic without Hiro next to him leaves us looking impotent.

Losing Bernardo, Popovic and Toure now out for 6 weeks (from the original 4) looks to have dented belief and it just feels like anytime we get some momentum, we then have more squad disruption. I felt sorry for the players last night, they are trying but it is obvious we lack experience and quality.

Thought Bovalina was yet again impressive, Isa pretty solid and Nestor tried very hard without success but not much else besides them. Kitto, Tunnicliffe, Warland, Clough and Halloren for me were quite disapointing and as senior players, did not offer much at all.

It is feeling that as the season goes on, we are drifiting further from the top 6 teams and very much into the middle pack.
Just my opinion on things!

I agree with most of this. Although I think the defence played better than you give them credit for. They kept Maclaren quiet again, but then I thought City were poor on the night. Not sure how they put 8 past Brisbane. That guy who has gone back to France must have been pretty good.

Clough had a really off night. His worst game for a while. But I didn't think Nestor was much better. He was extremely wasteful. When he had that one on one with Young it was so obvious he wasn't going to score. With every game that goes by it's looking more and more like United have got by far the best of the deal with Bayern. His decision making is awful and he just gets too frustrated when things don't go his way.

It's becoming increasingly clear that it's a squad in transition and players leaving unexpectedly mid season will always make things hard. No doubt if the Jeggo to City rumour turns out to be true the pitch forks will be out again in force calling for the owners heads. But hopefully, as Otto said, we get Mauk back. I also hope that Carl was having a quiet word with Mabil when he was at the home game the other week. He would be an excellent replacement for Nestor next season. Some experience and nous to go with the tekkers.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”