Adelaide United v Macarthur FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Adelaide United v Macarthur FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:04 am

The match was like a summary of our entire season - brilliant in patches, frequently open and exposed at the back, Nestory creating mayhem, defensive lapses gifting goals. All the parts are there for a really strong, dynamic and highly attractive team, but the parts are not quite firing all at the same time. it's like a V8 which has 1 or 2 cylinders either not firing, or firing out of sequence.

The ref was a Barry Crocker, as others have noted. I thought that last week's ref against Wellington was the worst display that I have ever seen, but then this clown topped - bottomed? - it. He was so determined not to give Nestory a free from a foul for anything, ever, that the Cows realised that and started hacking his shins and ankles black and blue. That he didn't retaliate is a credit to the youngster; and to Milligan, who has clearly been putting a lot of effort into Nestory's conduct on the field.

Yes, he was taking ambitious shots from beyond 18 yards, when he had other options inside the box but I'll go out on a limb and back him to pull off something exceptional, from range. We haven't had anyone like that since (perhaps) Marcelo Carrusca and Goody on their very best days. If Nestory can start pulling off the long range shots, then half a season of that before he starts learning German will be well worth it.

I really liked Bovalina bombing forward as a RH wing back too. He is fast, can dribble - which is not a given in the A-League - and he can cross. Yes, it opens space behind him, but it's then Isa's and Tunnicliffe's job to shut down any forays forward into those open spaces. Isa is 37, so his best pace is behind him, so we need Tunnicliffe to get his match fitness up to properly plug those holes. That will take the rest of this season at least. Then we will have 2 decent no. 6s as our defensive cover for the backline.

As a by-the-by, did anyone else notice that their goal came from an offside that the Cows took as a play on - with advantage played by the (rubbish) ref? I can't honestly remember seeing an advantage played after an offside. is this even legal? I don't have a copy of the rules to hand, but I'd love to know if this is even permitted.

So another B+ from us. Like the Welly match, it was a moral win to us, but moral wins do not add points to our league tally. Very frustrating.
Last edited by RedTide on Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: Adelaide United v Macarthur FC Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:32 pm

I rarely comment on referees as I honestly believe they do their best but do make mistakes.

That said, I do wonder if they all got on a Zoom call and agreed to stick it to Nestory, just to put him in his place. It often looks that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedTide

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:56 pm

I think also the interstate (non SA) refs are told explicitly to ignore the Coopers crowd, to take our passion out of their decision making. I can understand that, if that really is the refs' policy, but then why does it not apply in Melbourne or Sydney? It does seem like they go out of their way to give us as few frees as possible. I'd love to know what the stats are for free kicks (and penalties) granted to AUFC vs every other team that comes to Coopers. I suspect that it would make uncomfortable reading for the referees panel.
RedsUnited
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: They all leave

Postby RedsUnited Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:08 pm

Had a father and daughter in front of me who had come over from Melbourne to visit family and decided to come watch the game. We got chatting and apparently the daughter attends the Melbourne City football school. They both ended up buying an AU shirt each so I guess the lads on the pitch did something right to win over their support!
RedTide

Postby RedTide Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:50 pm

An excellent outcome - there may be hope for Victorians after all!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:28 am

What was the reason for the Red Army chant “F off Melbourne Victory” and ‘’We hate you cos you’re Victorian”?
Did they forget that Macarthur are from Sydney?
RedTide

Postby RedTide Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:06 am

The chants were directed at the ref. Everyone assumed that because he was so bad, he must be Victorian - and a filth supporter too, the lowest of the low.

In fact, I think he may be English, but living in Victoria.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:37 pm

What was the reason for the Red Army chant “F off Melbourne Victory” and ‘’We hate you cos you’re Victorian”?

The away end contained two guys wearing MV shirts. They showed a close up of them on the big screen which resulted in boos from those of us who saw it.

The anti MV songs from the RA followed soon after. I suppose it would have confused the opposing players if nothing else.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:12 pm

The away end contained two guys wearing MV shirts. They showed a close up of them on the big screen which resulted in boos from those of us who saw it.

The anti MV songs from the RA followed soon after. I suppose it would have confused the opposing players if nothing else.
Confused me too!
At least now it makes some sort of sense. :D

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”