Preview - AUFC vs the filth

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Preview - AUFC vs the filth

Postby RedTide Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:55 pm

I really can't pick this one. I have a gut feeling that the filth will throw everything they have at us for the first 15 minutes and if we can weather that and maybe grab a goal on a breakaway, then we could be ok.

It would be wonderful to hit them really hard and inflict a heavy defeat on them in their home ground, but I'd happily settle for a 1 -1 draw if it was offered to us before the match.

It will depend on that first 15 minutes - and which AUFC turns up. Let's hope it's the dynamic, fluid and potent one - not the insipid and hesitant one of much of November.

If the filth backline concentrates on shutting down Nestory on the right, then that will open up the central channel in front of goal, for Clough, Yull and maybe even Tunnicliffe to drive through.

I'm a lot happier with our backline now that Javi Lopez is back. He is very much the steadying influence on all of them. Popovic is 100% more effective when he has Javi coaching him on field.

I hope that we wear our traditional red, too. We look a lot more imposing and even aggressive in red. The white clash strip is all very well, but the red is a statement of intent from us and is anyway a sharper contrast against the filth's navy blue.

I tipped us to win, but I think I was very much in the minority in doing so. Very unsure about which way this will go.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Preview - AUFC vs the filth

Postby red wombat Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:25 pm

As always, they'll come out at high speed and playing rough. Funny, we're the only club they do that every time though it's certainly a common battle plan. If we get in front or threaten to, they'll turn dirty. But we've seen all this before so I can't see Veart being surprised by it.

Nestory's in for a hard time - lots of bruises to ice afterwards. Some of the other youngsters will cop the same as they try to kick them out of the game.

I hope we have a good ref (my god, what am I thinking?)

My only thought on all this is that they're scared of us.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:02 am

Victory have been a bit of a benchmark for me this season. Not yet lost a game (although arguably should have against City) and playing some very nice stuff at times.

I can't see us getting much from this game but we usually step up for these fixtures.

Hoping we go in 4-4-2 again (unchanged) as that's been our most balanced lineup recently.

Would take a draw if offered now (but that's no fun!)

COYR!!!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:54 pm

I'm behind enemy lines spending Xmas with the outlaws so I'll be heading to the game on Saturday night. Hoping for a win but would settle for a hard fought, entertaining draw.
It'll be interesting to see if the 4-2-2-2 gets another run with Hiro and Luka up front. I would definitely prefer to see Nestor come off the bench after losing his rag last time in the face of some all too predictable MV baiting.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:32 pm

Looking forward to this but with no particular feelings of dread.
MV have been good so far this season so I expect a very hard day at the office.

AU to surprise us.

Come on United!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:16 pm

We've got this.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:11 pm

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”