Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby EdDog Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 pm

Good recovery from last game. Seems we rode our luck at times, but that appears to be the way we play.

In a very good ladder position considering our performances.

Hopefully a few players will return soon to help steady the ship.

Well in lads!
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Re: Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby blahblah Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:00 pm

Damn, will have to watch in on replay. Was called out at the last minute for dinner (which was great fun, so no complaints there). I had my AUFC top on when the call came so went to dinner thus attired.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:00 pm

Goals ...

Talk ...

6 U-23 players on the pitch.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:46 pm

Positivies:
We have the best keeper in the league, by far.
Hallaron wound back the clock and looked like the Benny of old
Isiais returned to add some grit and composure

Negatives:
Without the best keeper in the league we don't win that game - defensive frailties still on show.
Yull went off injured (though I was tempted to put this down as a positive until......)
....Duzell came on - looks like he may be the new "George Blackwood" - not really sure what he's for exactly.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:42 pm

Positivies:
We have the best keeper in the league, by far.
Hallaron wound back the clock and looked like the Benny of old
Isiais returned to add some grit and composure

Negatives:
Without the best keeper in the league we don't win that game - defensive frailties still on show.
Yull went off injured (though I was tempted to put this down as a positive until......)
....Duzell came on - looks like he may be the new "George Blackwood" - not really sure what he's for exactly.
Just for some balance with those negatives …

… yes, Gauci was brilliant, but we also don’t win the game without Popovic’s last man tackle winning the ball and scoring his header at the other end.

Thought Yull looked good again.

Duzell is only just back playing after his injury. I thought he was trying too hard. I think he’ll be better when he settles in.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:36 am

We really need Barnett or another decent DM. We have plenty of young kids who like to get forward but no one capable of doing the ugly work behind them.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:24 am

I remember Eugene used to save us points week in and week out.
That's what great keepers do, "save the bacon".
Meanwhile defence builds experience and confidence.

I'm loving the youth at United!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:18 am

I'm with sevengoals on this one. Joe G is a part of the team. He happens to be very good so that's......great! We have a history of great keepers. Teams have to play to their strengths.
We have some great young talent and it'll always be a bit raw - because it is. Popovic was IMMENSE. Back to his best. He's an angry looking young man and he'll be very good for a long time. Yull is getting the hang of a most difficult position. Isa was back to being very good. Nestor looked....disinterested and grumpy - like my teenagers have been! Bernardo is looking good. Tunnicliffe doesn't seem too sure about where he needs to be yet. Duzell - well, early days, eh?
We're already above where we might be/should be in the table. Our talent stream is incredible.
Defensive midfield either makes or breaks a team and we're still trying to work out what to do. Barnett has looked exceptional when he's been fit. If he can get fit and back into the team I think we're going to start looking a lot better.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:30 pm

I'm with sevengoals on this one. Joe G is a part of the team. He happens to be very good so that's......great! We have a history of great keepers. Teams have to play to their strengths.
We have some great young talent and it'll always be a bit raw - because it is. Popovic was IMMENSE. Back to his best. He's an angry looking young man and he'll be very good for a long time. Yull is getting the hang of a most difficult position. Isa was back to being very good. Nestor looked....disinterested and grumpy - like my teenagers have been! Bernardo is looking good. Tunnicliffe doesn't seem too sure about where he needs to be yet. Duzell - well, early days, eh?
We're already above where we might be/should be in the table. Our talent stream is incredible.
Defensive midfield either makes or breaks a team and we're still trying to work out what to do. Barnett has looked exceptional when he's been fit. If he can get fit and back into the team I think we're going to start looking a lot better.
Yes indeed. Agree with all that.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:51 pm

I'm with sevengoals on this one. Joe G is a part of the team. He happens to be very good so that's......great!

I agree, it is great. But at the moment, evidence suggests that if he has an average day we're going to concede multiple goals.

I wasn't suggesting that having the league's best keeper is a bad thing. Just that we shouldn't have to rely on that being the only thing between us and a shellacking.
EdDog

Re: Western United v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby EdDog Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:39 am

We are conceding an average of over 20 shots per game, which is ridiculously high given our position on the ladder. This is higher than our average shots for of just under 18.

If this keeps up, you lose more games than you win.

Agree Joe is a great 'keeper, but against good teams we'll see results more like the one against SFC.
Jessesdad

Postby Jessesdad Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:08 am

There is no question that we need to sort out what is happening that is allowing great holes to open in midfield and causing our defenders to rely on last-ditch challenges - and brilliant saves.
But that's where we are right now. It's been a problem for over a year. One issue with Isa being with us is that he's still the best, but he's no longer always good enough. Any player in the crucial number 6 position has to have a run of games and needs to work out communication with the others. Tunnicliffe 'might' be that player. Barnett will be, all being well.
I'm not happy with the way we're facing up but we're well above anywhere we have the right to be and that says a lot about our attacking strength, our coaching, our unity and the desperation we show at the back.
I've always thought this season would be manic, and it's looking that way. We could finish in the top two. Or the bottom two.
Football!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:05 am

One issue with Isa being with us is that he's still the best, but he's no longer always good enough. Any player in the crucial number 6 position has to have a run of games and needs to work out communication with the others. Tunnicliffe 'might' be that player. Barnett will be, all being well.
Barnett regaining fitness will be a god-send, however his absence shows how exposed we are in that position, particularly when a defensive midfield pairing is called for.

For all the wonderful strikers, attacking midfielders and keepers coming through the SANPL, are there any decent defensive midfielder prospects?
Jessesdad

Postby Jessesdad Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:38 am

One issue with Isa being with us is that he's still the best, but he's no longer always good enough. Any player in the crucial number 6 position has to have a run of games and needs to work out communication with the others. Tunnicliffe 'might' be that player. Barnett will be, all being well.
Barnett regaining fitness will be a god-send, however his absence shows how exposed we are in that position, particularly when a defensive midfield pairing is called for.

For all the wonderful strikers, attacking midfielders and keepers coming through the SANPL, are there any decent defensive midfielder prospects?
Ethan Alargich might be an option but he's not been given much time. We need someone to partner either Isa or Tunnicliffe. Someone with reasonable pace! I'd prefer to see us play a 6 and a recessed 8 because we're always sending our fullbacks forward and getting caught out. A good DM pairing can allow for that, but there needs to be some speed.
But, as you say, a fit Barnett will begin to solve the problem. At youth level, everyone thinks they're a 9 or a 10! D'Arrigo could have been a great 6 but he couldn't stop himself going forward and leaving us undefended. DM is the most crucial position in any team.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:51 pm

Ethan Alargich might be an option but he's not been given much time. We need someone to partner either Isa or Tunnicliffe. Someone with reasonable pace! I'd prefer to see us play a 6 and a recessed 8 because we're always sending our fullbacks forward and getting caught out. A good DM pairing can allow for that, but there needs to be some speed.
But, as you say, a fit Barnett will begin to solve the problem. At youth level, everyone thinks they're a 9 or a 10! D'Arrigo could have been a great 6 but he couldn't stop himself going forward and leaving us undefended. DM is the most crucial position in any team.

Some interesting insights from Robbie on the defence this week...

https://adelaideunited.com.au/news/corn ... n-the-game

"The lines need to be a little tighter, and the back four needs to be a little more proactive when they can. I can barely remember a time one of Adelaide United’s defenders cut out the pass to a forward. Don’t do anything risky, but you should have cover."

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”