Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Interloper
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Interloper Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:48 pm

me at the end of last season "How did Duzell get an extension. The only thing he did all season was fall for a fake whistle in the crowd?"

me now "How is Duzell behind both Yull and Tunnicliffe in the pecking order?"
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:54 pm

I gained the impression that we'd done what we always do, played down to our opposition. Unfortunately, it bit us in the arse good and proper tonight. I would have been annoyed and disappointed with a capitulation but to do so comprehensively in the first half is something Veart has to work on. Not happy AU, especially seeing we know they can do so much better.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:07 pm

Sydney are our bogey team. 2 wins in 21 A-League games now.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:15 pm

We lacked leadership. Our captain is too busy trying to score that he forgets he’s a defender and should be organising from the back. As one of nearly 13,000 who attended tonight I think I deserve an explanation from CV as to what happened. Why it happened and what step he’s going to take to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:28 pm

That didn't happen. I have decided not to think about it ever again.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:29 pm

Hopefully we can learn something from this debacle.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:39 am

Thankfully I missed attending but that was a pitiful showing from the reds. Timid and a lack of steel against a high press, it’s kryptonite for the reds.
There is a clear lack of leadership in the team this year, especially at the back (Ansell will never convince me) and the midfield is non-existent without Isaias.

It seems CV still has the same game plan of last year, this year- last year pass it to Goodwin and he will make it happen, this year pass it to Nestor and he will make it happen. The squad is paper thin, last night we saw the reality when the team has 2-3 key outs and a few down on form.
But really, the whole thing was pathetic yesterday, absolutely got spanked and boys vs men.
I think we will continue to struggle against the top team as we really got played off the park for the majority of last week and should have been 3-4 down at HT against MV if not for Gauci.
The question is, were the first two games an anomaly (ccm hopeless so far, city clearly under par and coach sacked) or us at our best being unplayable? Jury is out on that I think
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:42 am

Ps- I thought hiro, Halloren and Tunnicliffe were all extremely poor and Clough seems a front runner to me. All very disappointing as senior players.

Again great to play kids, but you need a lot better in senior players to support that than the current batch we have.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:00 am

Ps- I thought hiro, Halloren and Tunnicliffe were all extremely poor and Clough seems a front runner to me. All very disappointing as senior players.

Again great to play kids, but you need a lot better in senior players to support that than the current batch we have.
Was Tunnicliffe even out there last night?
For me we need an Isa of 5 plus years ago at DM and a McGree/Mauk type in the middle of the park. That’s it. Everything else is just minor tweaks and time but we need that steel/leadership and class to pull the strings and drive things from the centre, pulling everything together.
I’d also start Luca up top and give him time (same as what all the kids need).
Heaps of positives at AU but we do have some key personnel problems that need facing.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Postby AndyJebiga Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:14 pm

I did warn everyone that tunnicliffe will be a waste of money ( similar to clough - that's several hundred grand were wasting on 2 bang average players ) players from the uk really struggle in the a league

Mauks off contract in 6 so weeks time, nows the moment to start those negotiations to bring him back home
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:45 pm

I think it's a bit harsh to start dismissing Tunnicliffe - and Clough has already proven himself. It took 6 months for Isaias to prove himself when he first turned up and there were plenty calling for him to be sacked, not just dropped, before he gained a feel for the pace and the strength of the Australian game. Now he is integral to our midfield.

The problem was that Sadney played a really high press against our back four and then crowded and harassed the ballcarrier, sending pretty well everyone forward to create the overload on the AU ballcarrier, who was then obliged to knock it back continually to the back four, who were then harassed off the ball. It was only when we managed to break their very high press and get in behind that we looked dangerous. Their goals came from the overload and the very high press - which was exactly how Talay turned around Wellington.

Once we worked out what was going on, we played them on pretty even terms; the second half was actually a draw. Of course, by then the damage had long been done and the match was over as a contest by the half.

It's not panic stations yet; it was one very bad half of one match, the season isn't even six weeks old and the kids will learn how to break a very high press and play through an overload. The match did show, however, how badly led that Sadney were under Corica. They were tactically miles behind everyone else (before Talay came in) and their morale was shot to bits. Now they have their swagger back and they will be much, much harder to beat than, say, a week ago. We suffered both the new gaffer bounce and vastly improved tactics from a side that was absolute bottom. So let's retain perspective and not start a round of executions at dawn. The kids will learn from the experience; the whole side will recognise where they went wrong, move on and reset to the way that we play best next week.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: Adelaide United v Sydney FC Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:45 pm

I did warn everyone that tunnicliffe will be a waste of money ( similar to clough - that's several hundred grand were wasting on 2 bang average players ) players from the uk really struggle in the a league

Mauks off contract in 6 so weeks time, nows the moment to start those negotiations to bring him back home
Dunno, Lolly looked alright last night for a Pom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:48 pm

Tunnicliffe has to take a lot of the blame, he was in a position to marshall/organise the rest of the side around him around him but was completely absent. (By proxy Veart to for setting things up)

Jovanovic was the worst of the subs IMO, the only one who came close to being as bad as those that went off at half time. Hr has very little awareness, and his runs are often poor or mistimed and cut off passing options that aren't him in the process too. He spurned a couple of very high quality goal chances too.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:06 pm

I was at a wedding last night so missed the game but saw the score and watched the highlights. Couldn't bring myself to watch a replay. I think we're going to have to accept this year that we'll be sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.

Our team list doesn't scream consistency. We'll get great performances from players one week and they'll be invisible the week after, it's just how it will be.

Take me back to Leckie, Dodd, Flores and Sergio Van Dijk or Cirio, Carrusa, Isiais and Mabil <3

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:00 am

Heard a rumour that Tunnicliffe is bang average at training. Not sure if a fitness or attitude issue.

Anyone been down to training to shed some light?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”