WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sudden reversal
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Michael Marrone

Re: WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby sudden reversal Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:22 pm

Way to diminish our achievements in the Australia Cup to date.
I dare say the players don't have that perspective.
If so, we have deeper problems.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:31 pm

Don’t recall the cup being a glorified training run when we did well in it…..
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:55 pm

I said weeks ago we need 3-4 class players , if this is not address we will end up at the bottom of the ladder , owners get the cheque book out and give us fans some decent talent
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:32 pm

glorified training match - people need to stop over reacting like this is a sign for the season (which is still several weeks away)

wanderers did look very slick in the first 2/3 of the match - adelaide couldnt get a pass to stick (especially in that first half)

once they took the pedal off the gas when the match was well and truly over, we looked a bit more threatening.

people also have to remember that bernado and bovalina will not be starting this season on the right hand side - for everyones issues with halloran at least he will put a shift in defensively on the wing and obivously lopez knows how to defend.

that high defensive line is going to cost us points again this year, im still not sure who is the best centreback pairing at the club either

the other cause for concern is how easy they were able to play through out midfield (clough didnt put a shift in defensively like usual) isa was his usual combative self, but is a year older and yull who has incredible potential is still finding himself at the professional level (is he a 6/8/10?)

mauks out of contract in less than 4 months, time to pay a small fee and bring him back home

also need to use that spare visa spot wisely (centreback or box to box midfielder)
Disagree.

Both teams are in the same stage of preseason and we've been walloped convincingly.

Same squad as last season (largely) and all the defensive and midfield frailties are still there. Shouldn't we be well drilled and solid, given all the time we've had together, against a relatively new WSW team?

Suggests we've either still not got the personnel at the level required for the A-league or we have not sorted the issues tactically.

Which begs the question do we need players or is it more a problem with coaching?

Regardless, I think we have every right to be concerned with the season proper approaching and no further quality preseason games ahead.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:50 pm

I’m sure there’ll be other games against A-League teams arranged behind closed doors before the season starts. What upsets me most is the lack of explanation at a press conference. There has been no accountability whatsoever.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:03 pm

Sure, we all love the cup and our history in it. But at the end of the day these early rounds are still "pre-season" games. More than a friendly of course but still not as intense and carrying the same gravitas as a regular season league match, or a tie later in the same comp.
So with that in mind I think I'll wait until we have a greater sample size before calling judgement on the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad. Losing so heavily is a cause for concern for sure, but to suggest that we need a complete overhaul, or to question the coaching which has led the team to consecutive deep finals runs, is a bit of an overreaction in my book.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”