Adelaide United v CC Mariners Semi-Final First Leg 2023 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Semi-Final First Leg 2023 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby mcjules Sun May 14, 2023 12:39 pm

Think the Mariners match up well against us just like we seem to match up well against City.
Is it just me or did that goal from McGarry take a deflection? No one seems to be saying it so I must have been seeing things.

Tough ask but hopefully we have a blinder next week and they make a few mistakes.
otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Semi-Final First Leg 2023 Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby otto62 Sun May 14, 2023 2:14 pm

Madanha looked very on it when he came on. He's been very underutilised in the latter half of the season for mine.

It's also a bit disappointing that for all the talk of promoting young players and giving them game time. It seems exactly one of them (Irankunda) can be trusted to give any meaningful contribution in a game that matters.
Yeah, Carl doesn’t give meaningful minutes to any young players except Irankunda … and D’Arrigo.
But no-one other than them , plus Gauci of course.
But apart from Irankunda, D’Arrigo and Gauci there’s no-one … except he did play Yull the other week, oh and also Alagich.
But apart from Irankunda, D’Arrigo, Gauci, Yull and Alagich Carl ignores our young players … except there’s also Popovic.
But apart from …..
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sun May 14, 2023 2:41 pm

Madanha looked very on it when he came on. He's been very underutilised in the latter half of the season for mine.

It's also a bit disappointing that for all the talk of promoting young players and giving them game time. It seems exactly one of them (Irankunda) can be trusted to give any meaningful contribution in a game that matters.
Yeah, Carl doesn’t give meaningful minutes to any young players except Irankunda … and D’Arrigo.
But apart from Irankunda, D’Arrigo and Gauci there’s no-one … except he did play Yull the other week, oh and also Alagich.
But apart from Irankunda, D’Arrigo, Gauci, Yull and Alagich Carl ignores our young players … except there’s also Popovic.
But apart from …..

LoL :D
What did the Romans ever do for us eh? :lol:
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun May 14, 2023 5:15 pm

But apart from …..
Gauci is a senior international and D'Arrigo has 100 games under his belt. Those two are clearly not in the same class as the players I'm discussing.

You'll also notice that now that the season is at the pointy end, the rest are entirely absent
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun May 14, 2023 5:41 pm

But apart from …..
Gauci is a senior international and D'Arrigo has 100 games under his belt. Those two are clearly not in the same class as the players I'm discussing.

You'll also notice that now that the season is at the pointy end, the rest are entirely absent
Let’s leave aside D’Arrigo & Gauci … but who gave D’Arrigo 100 games by the time he’s 22, and who brought Gauci in and developed him to Socceroo selection instead of bringing in an old pro?

Two weeks ago Yull started.
Three weeks ago Yull, Jovanovic & Popovic started.
Four weeks ago Jovanovic started.

So you really mean just the last two matches … excluding D’Arrigo, Gauci & Irankunda and not counting Madanha.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun May 14, 2023 7:05 pm

But apart from …..

Let’s leave aside D’Arrigo & Gauci … but who gave D’Arrigo 100 games by the time he’s 22, and who brought Gauci in and developed him to Socceroo selection instead of bringing in an old pro?

Two weeks ago Yull started.
Three weeks ago Yull, Jovanovic & Popovic started.
Four weeks ago Jovanovic started.

So you really mean just the last two matches … excluding D’Arrigo, Gauci & Irankunda and not counting Madanha.
Madanha came on way too late to have an effect. But otherwise thats my point entirely. All these players have got starts and draw the inevitable praise for the club for pushing youth into the first team etc, etc.

But it's hard to view this as anything other than tokenistic when they aren't being used in important games. Or were they all terrible and their abysmal starting efforts have caused Veart to permanently cross them off the list.

Also, D'Arrigo owes more to Verbeek than Veart, who (correctly) favoured Isaias and Juade over D'Arrigo.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun May 14, 2023 8:58 pm

The final regular season game against CCM was about as crunch as they get. Win or draw and we finish second, lose and we finish third. Starting line up included Gauci, D’Arrigo, Yull & Jovanovic, with Alagich and Irankunda coming on off the bench.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sun May 14, 2023 10:35 pm

I wish we had a solution for Halloran. Whether its injury or just poor form he's struggling. Panashe might be a decent shout, he'd at least be a more effective defender.

On the youth thing, I find it interesting that the Mariners being lauded for playing kids and getting results. It's the age profile teams that in my opinion teams in the ALeague should be aiming for as minimum. Their youngest player in the starting line up was 20. There were three 22/23 year olds who by that age should be getting regular game time and the rest were 25+. They had no teenagers on their bench. Really doesn't feel that remarkable to me.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon May 15, 2023 10:03 am

Could certainly have used Barnett & Barr. Overall I don't think it was a question of not 'wanting it enough' or 'workrate' like some of the commentary has been, but sharpness. Just like their other games against us Mariners were switched on, 100%, and thinking a pass ahead in terms of movement. Some of their attacking interplay and one touch passing was at a level I haven't seen in the A-League since Roar under Ange, whereas we took a split second longer to make decisions on the ball & off.
They have a full belief in the way they play and it's great to see.

And yeah : Panashe / Cassio Jr (where the hell is he) / Nestory should be pushing Halloran hard for that RW spot next season.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Mon May 15, 2023 5:39 pm

The final regular season game against CCM was about as crunch as they get. Win or draw and we finish second, lose and we finish third. Starting line up included Gauci, D’Arrigo, Yull & Jovanovic, with Alagich and Irankunda coming on off the bench.
lol, you hadn’t even mentioned Jay Barnett yet either 😂

On JB, he’s the glaring miss, he’s really needed if we were to stand a chance in Gosford.
We’re lacking a McGree, Mauk, Jimmy Jeggo type
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon May 15, 2023 6:51 pm

lol, you hadn’t even mentioned Jay Barnett yet either 😂

On JB, he’s the glaring miss, he’s really needed if we were to stand a chance in Gosford.
We’re lacking a McGree, Mauk, Jimmy Jeggo type
Barnett's been excellent since he arrived.
He seems to play it careful on his first match into the team after a break (with his injury history that's understandable and probably the right way to go about it), but has slotted into our game style quickly.
If he can get his body right for next year IMO he'll be a big player for us.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”