Defensive fix suggestion box

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Defensive fix suggestion box

Postby MartinAUFC Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:57 pm

I don't know if anyone else saw it but Carl's closing comment in his pre-match interview on Friday night was to tell the interviewer if he had any ideas on how to prevent conceding four goals per game to let him know. Perhaps he wouldn't have made such a flippant comment if he knew it was just about to happen again.

Anyway, I thought we could perhaps put the WATR brains trust to work and try to come up with a few suggestions for Carl.

Change the formation? Preferred centre back combo? Bring Eugene out of retirement?

Post your pearls of wisdom here...
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Defensive fix suggestion box

Postby sevengoals Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:31 pm

A designated sweeper / libero playing in front of the two centre halves who is able to carry the ball forward when the situation arises or play long passes out to the breaking wingers/forwards.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 am

The issue stems from midfield and how high our wingbacks play.

We were definitely a lot better defensively when we had Juande or Barnett partnering Isa, but it did impact us going forward.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm

Isaias was at times our best and worst player on Friday.

We arguably need a CB who leads and organises the backline, as it's a bit chaotic.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Mon May 01, 2023 2:43 pm

The issue stems from midfield and how high our wingbacks play.

We were definitely a lot better defensively when we had Juande or Barnett partnering Isa, but it did impact us going forward.
This is pretty much it.

I'd also argue that we've missed HVS a lot. As great as Javi has been and continues to be, he doesn't have the engine to get up and down the pitch like he might have once upon a time so midfielders are dropping into his position to cover him on the counter much more often than they do for Kitto.

Finally, yes the CBs could do a better job, some goals we've conceded like the Perth match a couple of weeks ago where several players missed the ball when trying to clear it are just embarrassing.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Mon May 01, 2023 4:45 pm

Teams have worked out our game plan, time for a change.
Four fixed defenders of Barr, Javi, Warland and Ansell. Kitto and Islas as DMs. One AM from either Clough, D’arrigo or Alagich. Front three of Halloran, Hiroshi and Goodwin.
We have to dispense with the attacking wingbacks and work through the middle.
You can’t fault Ryan and Javi’s effort to get forward, it’s the limping back to position that leaves us wide open.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 pm

We’re missing Clough atm to provide that little bit more quality up top that has been causing chaos and leading to more genuine chances and goals.
If we over commit in the quest for goals, which is great, our midfield needs more mongrel to close down and take one for the team if necessary. Our centre backs are not settled and after hastily reassembling and tracking back, and back and back, our whole defence is often just inviting shots on goal. And conceding.
Mongrel, bite, call it what you want, we’re a little nice/inexperienced.
AU have been great to watch but must convert, otherwise the premise of out scoring your opposition doesn’t work.
I also miss the occasional long diagonal pass from the Gomball era. Cut out the press when it’s on and attack without over committing.
I love our attacking intent, I think we’re missing some weapons through injury or tiredness and our youth and inexperience is showing.
I just think it goes with the territory and we’re not quite there yet. Our young players are doing a great job and getting valuable experience and game time. I’ll enjoy the finals for what it is and continue to support Carl and staff as we’re going in a great direction, probs just not this groups time yet. Sadly, we’re probably due a bit of renewal in 2 or 3 key positions - kinda alluded to in this thread already.
RedRebel

Postby RedRebel Mon May 01, 2023 6:39 pm

Defence starts up front and in midfield basically.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue May 02, 2023 9:42 am

A designated sweeper / libero playing in front of the two centre halves who is able to carry the ball forward when the situation arises or play long passes out to the breaking wingers/forwards.

B)
that was Isaias under Gombau/Amor. It's his best role, but dunno if he still has the sharpness for it
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sun May 14, 2023 2:46 pm

It feels like we need to reopen this thread after last night :(

Or at least have a discussion on the preferred centre back pairing. I thought Ansell was the answer after the Wellington game but now I'm not so sure. Or is it more about the midfield set up in front of them? :?
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun May 14, 2023 4:42 pm

CCM front four are each individually brilliant. They press so high that we’re 4 on 4 in our backline. Only Javi of our back four was able to hold off his man (most of the time).

Options:
We can’t drop Isa into the backline to create extra cover, because that means changing everything.

We could play two 6’s to try and cut off their supply. (Isa as a lone 6 wasn’t able to do it.)

Then the problem is if we play an 8 instead of a 10 we leave Blackwood on his own to try and close down up top. (Assuming Ibusuki & Jovanovic are out.) actually, Blackwood’s the best of the three for that role.
Our best option as an 8 is D’Arrigo, but we need him as our second 6. Clough, Alagich and Yull are all 10’s and don’t give enough midfield presence.

We can’t go with the 6-8-10 set up which didn’t work … three times.

That leaves us with two 6’s and a 10, which leaves us exposed in midfield.

Maybe Alagich could play 6 and release D’Arrigo to a pressing 8?

Just some thought off the top of my head. Not that I’ve been overthinking things … constantly.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”