Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Jessesdad Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:37 pm

Is it just me, or did the ref just let CCM do their shithousery from the first minute to the last?

Time wasting, kicking the ball away, blocking the ball being played from free kicks? Ref does nothing. Walk slowly to get the ball for a goal kick and then stand there ball in hand chatting to the fullback. Ref does nothing.

The first three times Irankunda goes to run past his full back without the ball, he gets knocked over by the same player. Ref does nothing. And then the ref is surprised when Irankunda barges that same player late. Stupid ref made it happen.
Yes Chris Beath was Chris Beath, it's not why we lost though.
Yep, Beath is a nutjob who always starts out calm and then resembles a manic policeman after about 60 mins. Totally lost control - again. The young liney on Nestor's side didn't help.

But, as you say, not his fault we lost. When your wing-backs get caught upfield and your CDM has gone missing it's kind of inevitable. They showed us how to defend tonight. Very tight. First goal we got caught dead to rights. Nice finish.
Second goal a debacle on the left, followed by a decent shot but Gauci was slow to get down. Not blaming him though. That's a keeper's life. He shouldn't have had to make a save.
Third goal we leave a good player in metre of space in a central position right on the D. Great finish but he has time to brush his teeth before he had to chose his spot.
Fourth goal, appalling defence on the left again. Two players get left for dead and it's squared to another CCM player left alone at the top of the box.
You can't play like that and win.
We had good chances and took none until Kitto's nice finish. Glad he got it, because he ran himself ragged again, but it was his side that got exploited too.

Still, that's football. We've got kids on the pitch. Another night it turns the other way. But CCM look the goods. They've recruited well.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby mikeewanuk Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:38 pm

We got taught a lesson by an organised and talented team. No shame in that. It just showed off our weak roster and poor recruitment. We cannot rely on one A grade player to drag every one up. Goodwin needs resting, but without him we really are poor and definitely not Finals material. Time for a clear out but it won’t happen.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:56 pm

Is it just me, or did the ref just let CCM do their shithousery from the first minute to the last?

Time wasting, kicking the ball away, blocking the ball being played from free kicks? Ref does nothing. Walk slowly to get the ball for a goal kick and then stand there ball in hand chatting to the fullback. Ref does nothing.

The first three times Irankunda goes to run past his full back without the ball, he gets knocked over by the same player. Ref does nothing. And then the ref is surprised when Irankunda barges that same player late. Stupid ref made it happen.
Yes Chris Beath was Chris Beath, it's not why we lost though.
Yep, Beath is a nutjob who always starts out calm and then resembles a manic policeman after about 60 mins. Totally lost control - again. The young liney on Nestor's side didn't help.

But, as you say, not his fault we lost. When your wing-backs get caught upfield and your CDM has gone missing it's kind of inevitable. They showed us how to defend tonight. Very tight. First goal we got caught dead to rights. Nice finish.
Second goal a debacle on the left, followed by a decent shot but Gauci was slow to get down. Not blaming him though. That's a keeper's life. He shouldn't have had to make a save.
Third goal we leave a good player in metre of space in a central position right on the D. Great finish but he has time to brush his teeth before he had to chose his spot.
Fourth goal, appalling defence on the left again. Two players get left for dead and it's squared to another CCM player left alone at the top of the box.
You can't play like that and win.
We had good chances and took none until Kitto's nice finish. Glad he got it, because he ran himself ragged again, but it was his side that got exploited too.

Still, that's football. We've got kids on the pitch. Another night it turns the other way. But CCM look the goods. They've recruited well.
Yep they did their homework on us and executed it very well. We didn't. That hasn't happened very often this season, just a pity it has at such a critical time.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:06 pm

I said this weeks ago CV needs to fix our defence up , but it appears he has done jack shit , our season is over won’t win another game , playing personal is not good enough in the critical areas and lack of funds see us fold like a deck of cards every year at this stage
That’s the spirit! No doubt you’ll bet the house on Perth or Wellington when they come here. You’ll make a fortune.

CV has tried different combinations of centre backs, and has been forced into different (and sometimes very young) CM pairings. So it’s not like he’s just been playing the same players in the same positions every week and just hoping something changes.

It starts from the front. Jovanovic and Yull were just completely ineffective in applying pressure when CC were bringing it out of defence.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:18 pm

I’m feeling pretty down about us after recent weeks. But it’s not that long ago we went on a 12 game unbeaten run. We’re not rubbish, but we definitely need some players back.

If we beat Wellington it will be a home and away semi against …. our (un)favourite opponent CCM.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:18 am

The last few weeks I think the staff and players haven't had the drive needed to win.

We secured top 4 and a home final, there's no benefit finishing top 2 (other than Asia) as the GF is in Sydney.

It's meant we've dropped off by 1 or 2% across the ground and that's the difference between winning and losing against good opposition.

Hopefully we can snap out of this for the elim final but it's not looking good.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 pm

As Otto said, Jovanovic and Yull looked lost in the first half. They've both done good work lately but they're both emerging players. We seriously miss Clough, who was starting to look the goods. Our backline has been smashed by injury and inconsistency and we need one experienced and calming influence back there. Jako used to be that. Sasha anyone...? :) Those were the days.
But we've always had a threadbare squad and we've done brilliantly this year....again.
Easy to suggest that Carl should have started Blackwood, but who could have guessed? If Georgie's goal had stood at the start of the second half, who knows how the momentum might have changed. It was a brilliant bit of football undone by a few centimetres of toe.
On our day, we will beat anyone. Let's hope we get through our first final and can wreak revenge on the Coasties in week two. I genuinely admire what they've done but after last night my love for them has waned!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:02 pm

We secured top 4 and a home final, there's no benefit finishing top 2 (other than Asia) as the GF is in Sydney.

I'm a bit confused by your comment. Surely it would have been better to clinch second spot and be only one win away from the GF instead of two?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:38 pm

I'm a bit confused by your comment. Surely it would have been better to clinch second spot and be only one win away from the GF instead of two?
Yes but not as big an advantage as years gone by.

The semi final, if we win the elim, is home and away across 2 legs.

I'd argue it's best to play every week rather than have a week off.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:28 pm

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:56 am

if we win the elim
The key point
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue May 02, 2023 10:00 am

Season's over as far as I'm concerned, I'll watch the finals series on TV but really not invested in it.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Tue May 02, 2023 12:28 pm

C
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Tue May 02, 2023 6:15 pm

I agree with Old Gregg. As the Reds don’t benefit from gate receipts in the Finals series then I’m not really interested. I will watch from home .
United were one of only a couple of teams that vetoed the idea of the Grand Finals. I suspect their hearts won’t be in it as their concerns weren’t considered.
Time to give the team a rest, they’re looking knackered.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue May 02, 2023 8:24 pm

I was already not a fan of the finals system but especially so with the Sydney based final and the semi final 2 leg format.

I obviously want the club to do well but I can't see us beating CCM across 2 games if we probably get past Welly. They're already up 8-1 on agg from our past 2 meetings.

Defend deep and compact against us and then pop balls in behind our centre backs for average pace or better strikers to run onto, Gauci gets low early on one on ones. Let our wingers cross to Hiroshi's feet for 60 mins and then watch as they cross to Nestory, Luka or Halloran's head for the last 30...

Hard not to be cynical at the moment, I'm also a Leeds fan :,(

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”