Goodwin

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Bptiger25
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Re: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:33 pm

And knowing he was leaving , all because the owners refused to invest in the club , hope all u so called south Australians who cry we need south aust talent are happy , when we get the wooden spoon this year , because he may not be the last to leave , makes it hard to support a club that just won’t support its fans , but I will still watch every game no matter the result , hope the owners piss of sooner rather than later
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:55 pm

Goodwin has come out with he following on Twitter:

"Excited for this next chapter. I’m grateful and honoured for every time I’ve put on the United shirt and to Captain the club and represent the incredible people and fans associated with it. But I am hugely disappointed with how this was handled.

To not even get a good luck or thank you upon leaving and for the announcement video to be cropped along with other things is disappointing. Despite that, Adelaide United, the playing group, the coaching staff and the fans will always be in my heart and I wish everyone success."

Separate to this I've hear we we will only sign a maximum of two players, one rumoured to be an international. Window is closed so they have to be free agents. Sounds like the money has gone straight back to the owners.

Club has some explaining to do.
red wombat
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:29 am

Surprised and sad to see Goodwin go. I understand the allure of that pay cheque but after he said last year that he wanted to end his playing days here, especially as he has a young family, it makes you wonder what the club were doing.

And as for the lack of replacements, is the club planning to rely on school kids again? Woo hoo, I just love scrambling to make the finals and then hoping for miracles. I love the club and have followed them since they were first announced but by cripes they can be hard to follow some years.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Imagine positioning yourself as the 'people's club' and pulling this rubbish. We've always run on a tight budget and I can cop that, but players being treated in the way they have is a disgrace.
Time for revolution, comrades
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:47 pm

Of course nobody knows what has gone on behind the scenes, but am I the only one who thinks Craig is being a bit of a princess about all this ?

I mean he’s leaving of his own accord, he hasn’t been shown the door. There’s a decent write up on the club site where the chairman says that he’s welcome back anytime. What more does he want ? A ticker tape parade down King Willaim Street ?

Look, he had a great World Cup and that’s probably resulted in his reputation rising to a level above the A-League. We don’t know what sort of package he was looking for from the club and it’s the easiest thing in the world for us fans to all cry foul and call the owners short sighted and lacking ambition, but it’s their money not ours. It’s the A-League, they’re not going to get it back. I can understand people’s frustration if they don’t invest at least some of the transfer fee to keep the team competitive, but clubs run at loss and that money has to come from somewhere.

Good luck and best wishes to Goody. But as far as his “disappointing” exit is concerned perhaps he can console himself by thinking about his multi-million dollar contract.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:13 pm

How about maybe addressing that the club was not going to buy any class players and Goodwin saw the writing on the wall , may stop standing up for a butch of greedy owners and start supporting the players and the fans
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Goodwin

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:11 am

How about maybe addressing that the club was not going to buy any class players and Goodwin saw the writing on the wall , may stop standing up for a butch of greedy owners and start supporting the players and the fans
I don't think this was the issue. Goodwin wanted to stay but the owner's wanted the cash. I'd expect all coaching staff would have wanted to keep him but didn't get a say.

I do feel for Goody, he was able to break into the Socceroos whilst at Adelaide and probably thought that he'd be playing at the Asian Cup if he stuck with us. Hopefully the move works well for him.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:31 pm

Robbie's article on the situation is pretty good I reckon
https://keepup.com.au/news/craig-goodwi ... ours-news/

I don't begrudge them not wanting to extend his contract on the same money, they should have tried to do something though and at the very least, communicated better with Craig.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:37 pm

Robbie is fair but geez if we expect Nestor to replace Goodwin….. never mind that Ansell, Barr, Warland, Popovic, Bovalina are our CB options for the season.
We saw how well the you score 3, we score 4 worked at the business end of the season. It was more like we score 1, you score 5.

I was looking forward to the season, I’m not at present as I don’t see anything to indicate anything has changed coaching/ style wise and the squad is one of the weakest I’ve seen at AU in 20 years.

Realistically we are looking more like the jets than city!
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 pm

Greedy owners ? Do you have any proof that the money coming in is being syphoned off into the owners' bank accounts ? I would suggest that the incomings are being used to cover the outgoings and no more. But I stand to be corrected if anyone has a revealing spread sheet out there.

I will continue to support the players by buying a membership every year and giving them my vocal encouragement from the northern end, win lose or draw. I am confident that will have a more positive effect than whinging about the lack of investment on a fan forum. Not that I'm denying your right to do so of course :)
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:20 pm

Gee u friends with the owners , what a lot of dribble , how would a fan get hold of a spreadsheet , but u don’t need to be a genius to work out that the owners don’t spent any way near the rest of the clubs , we play in front of nearly full crowds every home game those fans deserve more than the owners are dishing out , if u can’t see that then ur blind , I am not trying to bag any fan but merely trying to get the rest of u to , speak out and maybe the owners might listen , that’s all
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:17 pm

Gee u friends with the owners , what a lot of dribble , how would a fan get hold of a spreadsheet , but u don’t need to be a genius to work out that the owners don’t spent any way near the rest of the clubs , we play in front of nearly full crowds every home game those fans deserve more than the owners are dishing out , if u can’t see that then ur blind , I am not trying to bag any fan but merely trying to get the rest of u to , speak out and maybe the owners might listen , that’s all

I love your passion mate but the fact of the matter is if you’re looking for a club that splashes the cash and signs players on big wages you are supporting the wrong team. AU have never been that kind of club and, shoot me down as a blind purveyor of dribble if you like, but I’m perfectly ok with that. And judging by some of the recent posts I’d say that I am in the majority in feeling that way, on this forum at least.

As Jessesdad alluded to in his excellent post on the membership thread, AU’s owners are far from perfect. But just for some perspective on the subject allow me to direct you to an ESPN article relating to the ownership situation at our old enemy from across the border. Sometimes it can be a case of “better the devil you know”

https://www.espn.com.au/football/story/ ... b-millions

"Controversy has frequently followed 777 Partners, with a fresh spotlight applied during its efforts to acquire Everton. Vasco da Gama, Hertha Berlin, and Standard Liege supporters have all staged protests amidst adverse on-field results since their acquisition by the controversial investment group."

"Investigative outlet Josimar, meanwhile, has published articles alleging financial insecurity, fraud, mismanagement and illegal activity by the group."
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:27 pm

No I am a loyal reds fan , I will be till the end , no matter what team we field

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”