Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:04 pm

Adelaide United 5-1 Wellington Phoenix
88min

Penalty I believe but not given.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:06 pm

90min
6min added time.
Just another rout that Adelaide has handed out ...
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:11 pm

Craig Goodwin sees the Nix goalkeeper out of his box and he shoots just wide.

No Roots, No Growth!
red wombat
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby red wombat Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:11 pm

Goodwin tries a strike from the half way line... cheeky bugger. It curved wide but would have been the goal of the season if it'd gone in.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:12 pm

Game over!
The stats said one thing but the score board something else!

No Roots, No Growth!
red wombat

Postby red wombat Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 pm

5 - 1
I'll take that. Actually, I'll take the second half, the first half was pretty flat which just goes to show that you should never give give up.

And Irankunda did NOT score :shock:
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:15 pm

Incredible! I can hardly believe it.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:17 pm

Far from convincing performance but what a result.

Could have been 7-4.

We are making up goal difference which could be the decider for that key second spot.

10 unbeaten. Another 4 goal haul. Injured players returning.

Things are looking good.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:26 pm

Goal, goals, goals!

Mr. Veart,

B)

No Roots, No Growth!
Rojos

Postby Rojos Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:08 am

Great game for fans, such a bizarre night.

Our CB pairing is a real worry, we should have conceded 3-4 goals last night and we're lucky.... This time.

Though D'Arrigo was great at #10, Barnett really solid in a more defensive role and honestly we look good without Halloran.
That Jovanovic could more than shoulder the load as Ibusuki returns has been a huge bonus, he's an eye for goal this kid.

Still plenty of improvement to be had after a 5-1 win, amazing.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:31 pm

There was so much to like about last night, but most importantly, it was proof that good teams find a way to win even when they don't play well. We were largely outplayed for all of the first half by Welly and should have been down 2 - 0 or 3 - 0 by halftime, but the combination of horrible Welly errors and a certain amount of luck saw us go into the sheds 2 goals up - and we don't lose at home from two goals up.

We looked so much better without Ben Halloran on the right - sad to say, I saw a stat on the telecast that said 58% of our movements forward came from the right channel. There is no way that would have happened if Ben H. had still been there. He'll be back, but for the moment, right wing is Luke Jovanovic's.

We have something of an embarrassment of riches upfront and across the midfield now, with the youngsters back from the U20 competition overseas. It's hard to see how CV can fit everyone in, such is the quality in the front two thirds of the side.

The problem is still the backline. It's worth noting that we have not had the same backline personnel twice in a row once this campaign. The back four (or five, with wingbacks) has changed every single week, usually due to injuries, but also due to suspensions and international duties. That we have haven't shipped 2 - 3 goals every week is something short of miraculous. It's a makeshift backline - and for the moment, it's wobbly, but it's holding. I'm not even sure that I could state what our best back four/five looks like.

We look so much better in midfield with Isa back and firing. He does his job as the midfield general with almost an absence of drama or noise, but he screens the backline brilliantly; as well as any #6 in the competition. His laser-like through balls are coming back too ... we will miss him when he finally retires. This might sound strange, but Isa reminds me of Kiera Walsh, the England CDM who does the #6 job for the England women's team and is the quiet achiever for the Lionesses - and has a similar dead eye (and right boot) for the precise through ball that allows the forwards to open up opposition defences.

Anyway, Clough and D'Arrigo are now prospering in the midfield, because they now have space and time, with Isa sitting behind them.

Goody must be odds on favourite for another Johnny Warren medal. He keeps collecting 3 votes because he can change games by himself; the mark of a true champion player.

MC Petrodollars must be quietly crapping themselves about the threat from us. They have not beaten us once this season - and were extremely fortunate to come away with a point when we played them in Crimebourne. If not for Alex Popovic conceding a penalty in the 94th minute, they would have lost that match too. We are their Kryptonite.

Good times ahead. Roll on the last 7 matches!
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:47 pm

There was so much to like about last night, but most importantly, it was proof that good teams find a way to win even when they don't play well. We were largely outplayed for all of the first half by Welly and should have been down 2 - 0 or 3 - 0 by halftime, but the combination of horrible Welly errors and a certain amount of luck saw us go into the sheds 2 goals up - and we don't lose at home from two goals up.

We looked so much better without Ben Halloran on the right - sad to say, I saw a stat on the telecast that said 58% of our movements forward came from the right channel. There is no way that would have happened if Ben H. had still been there. He'll be back, but for the moment, right wing is Luke Jovanovic's.

We have something of an embarrassment of riches upfront and across the midfield now, with the youngsters back from the U20 competition overseas. It's hard to see how CV can fit everyone in, such is the quality in the front two thirds of the side.

The problem is still the backline. It's worth noting that we have not had the same backline personnel twice in a row once this campaign. The back four (or five, with wingbacks) has changed every single week, usually due to injuries, but also due to suspensions and international duties. That we have haven't shipped 2 - 3 goals every week is something short of miraculous. It's a makeshift backline - and for the moment, it's wobbly, but it's holding. I'm not even sure that I could state what our best back four/five looks like.

We look so much better in midfield with Isa back and firing. He does his job as the midfield general with almost an absence of drama or noise, but he screens the backline brilliantly; as well as any #6 in the competition. His laser-like through balls are coming back too ... we will miss him when he finally retires. This might sound strange, but Isa reminds me of Kiera Walsh, the England CDM who does the #6 job for the England women's team and is the quiet achiever for the Lionesses - and has a similar dead eye (and right boot) for the precise through ball that allows the forwards to open up opposition defences.

Anyway, Clough and D'Arrigo are now prospering in the midfield, because they now have space and time, with Isa sitting behind them.

Goody must be odds on favourite for another Johnny Warren medal. He keeps collecting 3 votes because he can change games by himself; the mark of a true champion player.

MC Petrodollars must be quietly crapping themselves about the threat from us. They have not beaten us once this season - and were extremely fortunate to come away with a point when we played them in Crimebourne. If not for Alex Popovic conceding a penalty in the 94th minute, they would have lost that match too. We are their Kryptonite.

Good times ahead. Roll on the last 7 matches!
Nice. One correction- Jovanovic didn’t play RW and I doubt he’s vying for that spot. In hallorans absence it seems to be Clough with Irankunda for the last 15-30.

We lack a #10 with this setup although darrigo did well this week but it’s not his spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:19 pm

I definitely agree we could be better defensively and having a more stable back 4 would help that a lot, but we also don't make it easy for them. The team is setup to put pressure on higher up the pitch. if we win the ball, then we can go forward quickly and its a thing of beauty to watch. If we don't, then that back 4 and Gauci are asked a lot of them!

It's working at the moment, hopefully it will for the rest of the season. Either way its going to continue to be an enjoyable ride!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:18 pm

Hmm ... it seemed like Jovanovic was constantly on the RW so I assumed that was his spot. I thought that Clough was more central, but I stand corrected. :-)
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:25 am

Great to see Jovanovic getting game-time and confidence. More of a starter than an X-factor off the bench which is good for our depth.

Pity I missed the game though (work) as Keep UP don't have a fully replay of the game, only highlights.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”