Preview: AUFC v Bulls 20-01-2023

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Preview: AUFC v Bulls 20-01-2023

Postby EdDog Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:59 pm

Big opportunity to turn our form around with another winnable game at home.

No Isa, Juande, Popa due to suspension, and Barr will still be injured.

Means our defensive spine is going to be... who knows.

Hopefully both Warland and Ansell can play in the heart of defence. Warland reportedly was back at training last week and Ansell had a cold? so should be "fit" to play.

Do not want to see Lopez at CB again. Not his best spot.

RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Preview: AUFC v Bulls 20-01-2023

Postby RedTide Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:52 pm

Our backline and to a lesser extent the midfield are still the main problems. This is our third choice backline, with all of the first choice backs out injured and at least two of the next rank also out. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet until the end of the current season, when it will be too late.

The midfielders are not dominating and are allowing themselves to be knocked off the ball too easily, so the service isn't getting though to the front line - which is the only bit of the side that is functioning well, when they do finally get some quality through balls.

I'm beginning to think that it will be better that we miss the finals altogether, so CV can start next year's rebuild more or less from now. Get some match time and kilometres into the kids' legs and see what they can pull off. He can then let Isa retire, Juande to move on and keep Javi Lopez for one more season, until the new backline - whatever that look like - is settled. Find us a true #6 in the off season, to replace Isa and get Bernardo back as a #8 who can run at and past defenders, keep a front line of Goody - Clough - Halloran and we might see some sustained success again. Until then, though ...
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:50 pm

Our backline and to a lesser extent the midfield are still the main problems. This is our third choice backline, with all of the first choice backs out injured and at least two of the next rank also out. I can't see us keeping a clean sheet until the end of the current season, when it will be too late.

The midfielders are not dominating and are allowing themselves to be knocked off the ball too easily, so the service isn't getting though to the front line - which is the only bit of the side that is functioning well, when they do finally get some quality through balls.

I'm beginning to think that it will be better that we miss the finals altogether, so CV can start next year's rebuild more or less from now. Get some match time and kilometres into the kids' legs and see what they can pull off. He can then let Isa retire, Juande to move on and keep Javi Lopez for one more season, until the new backline - whatever that look like - is settled. Find us a true #6 in the off season, to replace Isa and get Bernardo back as a #8 who can run at and past defenders, keep a front line of Goody - Clough - Halloran and we might see some sustained success again. Until then, though ...
Or … we could regain our form pre the World Cup break with the excellent players we have. This league is so tight a couple of wins in a row makes a massive difference. No need to throw the season away because of a poor run of games.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:13 pm

I think Warland and Ansell would be close to our best CB pairing if both were fit. Huge "if" that though.

Agree with Otto that the form we had pre-WC was quality and we have the players to do it. Injuries are just killing us at the moment and a settled CB pairing was crucial to that good run.

We also had VDS coming off the bench who was an absolute machine. Getting him and Bernardo back will give us a bit of extra oompf.

Not really mentioned but Cornthwaite highlighted Ibusuki has not scored in 6 games. He does a lot of work for us off the ball to create goals (Halloran's winner against Perth is a prime example) but he usually chimes in with one or two himself. We need more out of him too to turn this slump around.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:28 pm

Can some one tell me when was the last time we put the ball into the box for our 6’5 centre forward , we get down the flanks then we pass it all the way back too the 1/2 way line , CV really needs to get us going forward more and using ibusuki in the box
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:18 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing George Blackwood at CB :)
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Postby Woy of the Wovers Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm

Can some one tell me when was the last time we put the ball into the box for our 6’5 centre forward , we get down the flanks then we pass it all the way back too the 1/2 way line , CV really needs to get us going forward more and using ibusuki in the box
Dunno but I heard a stat that he only won 2 of 14 header duels against MV. Mind you they had 2 tall CBs double teaming him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Postby Woy of the Wovers Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:19 pm

I still think d’arrigo can play 6. Bernardo is a 10. Clough is not. Not sure our best 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:23 pm

I'm still not convinced about D'Arrigo though ... he just gets knocked off the ball to easily. A #6 has to be a bit of a mongrel, in order to command the midfield. LD'A tries his heart out, but he's so slim, he'd blow over in a stiff breeze.

I still think that Clough will come good as a #10 ... if his body can last a whole season. He just lacks that little bit of confidence, caused by the continual run of injuries. He has some of the best foot skills in the side .... comparable to Goody, when he (Clough) is on song.

I want Bernardo at #8, to run at and around defenders and send through those killer lay offs to the forwards that used to be Isa's specialty. If Bernardo can jag a goal or two himself, all the better.

No idea how Friday against the cows will turn out ... too many frontline absences to be able to say what we will produce.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:32 pm

Warland and Ansell with both play according to Carl. Good to have 2 centre backs on the park at least!
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:25 am

9:45am kick off Central European Time.
And I have a doctors appointment at 11:00am.

Bummer.

Carl is back.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”