Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby RedTide Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:41 pm

I said a week ago that I can't recall any match with CV as the gaffer in which we were outplayed for the bulk of the match - and then it happened yesterday. It was prompted by Isa's red, but we would have lost anyway. Clough, Halloran and Goody cannot do everything by themselves and the other teams have worked out that once they cut the service to the wings, we become toothless.

Yesterday was not the end of the world, because every side is allowed one bad match per season and that was ours. If we are to push for a finals spot though - and to then actually push into the finals and not just make up the numbers - then attitudes have to change across the park. Someone has to keep Popovic from dropping back too deeply, which just invited CCM's press. In the past, Javi Lopez coached him during the match, but Javi was of course absent and noone else took responsibility for directing Popovic. His deflection into the goal was unfortunate, but it should not have defined his whole game. Those kind of unforced errors happen; it was the job of the defenders to keep him engaged and not to let his head go down.

Similarly, once Isa was sent off, someone had to step forward to take over the #6/#8 role of directing the midfield. We shipped 3 goals because we lost the midfield and were reduced to knocking the ball around sideways and backwards - always a sign that a side has run out of ideas and doesn't feel confident in aggressively reclaiming the middle third of the pitch. Maybe Clough could have dropped back to a true #6 role and left Hiroshi and/or Blackwood to lead the line; whatever the reason, as Ben Powell said above, we did not activate a Plan B.

The best we can say is that we will learn from it - and we have a filth team that is the worst in their history coming to Coopers. Nani is out 'injured' apparently - but seeing as he terminated his own contract a fortnight ago, having realised what a rubbish team he joined, I'm highly suspicious of any claimed injury.

Good news for us, though, is that we can play ourselves back into form with a good old fashioned belting of the filth at Coopers. Time to look forwards, not back ...
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:09 pm

I said a week ago that I can't recall any match with CV as the gaffer in which we were outplayed for the bulk of the match - and then it happened yesterday. It was prompted by Isa's red, but we would have lost anyway. Clough, Halloran and Goody cannot do everything by themselves and the other teams have worked out that once they cut the service to the wings, we become toothless.

Yesterday was not the end of the world, because every side is allowed one bad match per season and that was ours. If we are to push for a finals spot though - and to then actually push into the finals and not just make up the numbers - then attitudes have to change across the park. Someone has to keep Popovic from dropping back too deeply, which just invited CCM's press. In the past, Javi Lopez coached him during the match, but Javi was of course absent and noone else took responsibility for directing Popovic. His deflection into the goal was unfortunate, but it should not have defined his whole game. Those kind of unforced errors happen; it was the job of the defenders to keep him engaged and not to let his head go down.

Similarly, once Isa was sent off, someone had to step forward to take over the #6/#8 role of directing the midfield. We shipped 3 goals because we lost the midfield and were reduced to knocking the ball around sideways and backwards - always a sign that a side has run out of ideas and doesn't feel confident in aggressively reclaiming the middle third of the pitch. Maybe Clough could have dropped back to a true #6 role and left Hiroshi and/or Blackwood to lead the line; whatever the reason, as Ben Powell said above, we did not activate a Plan B.

The best we can say is that we will learn from it - and we have a filth team that is the worst in their history coming to Coopers. Nani is out 'injured' apparently - but seeing as he terminated his own contract a fortnight ago, having realised what a rubbish team he joined, I'm highly suspicious of any claimed injury.

Good news for us, though, is that we can play ourselves back into form with a good old fashioned belting of the filth at Coopers. Time to look forwards, not back ...
I thought we lost the midfield for most of the first half, but Juande and Isa were doing enough to stop major damage. Losing Isa opened the floodgates, but Juande is a 6 so could/should have been enough for he and either D’Arrigo or Ansell to keep us compact. It all happened too quickly though.

Credit to CCM though. Massive Credit to them in fact. They have some extremely talented young men and they picked us apart. They are a very very good team in good form and on their home turf. We had an absolute shocker and fell apart when we went down to 10. I couldn’t see it being like this in the return leg later in the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RedTide

Postby RedTide Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:42 pm

Juande, bless him, is on the wrong side of 35 and couldn't keep up with the CCM mids flowing around him. Tried his best but .... we needed someone with real pace to hold that line. Oh well.

Fully concur with the credit to CCM though; they played much better than us and fully deserved the win.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:14 pm

I only saw the last 25 mins of the first half and whilst all reports were that we started terribly prior to the goal, I thought we were completely on par with CCM in the time I watched. Fashioned a few decent half chances even though they put us under a lot of pressure. They weren't better than us at all for this period.

Second half you can't compare 10v11. It's almost irrelevant that they smashed us at this stage as it's a completely different game. Any team in the league is going to struggle to do anything with 10 men. We just capitulated. Next time we will do a lot better if we can keep everyone on the pitch.

Getting a red straight after the break kills everything just discussed in the changerooms and it also needs quick action to correct. This is where Carl failed. Needed to quickly change formation by getting a message onfield or making subs. I think he thought he would have more time to ponder but by then the goals were shipped and it was suddenly a game where we needed a concede button.

Anyway, big opportunity to bounce back next week.

Hopefully another big crowd at Cooper's with an empty Victory bay.

Have VDS, Warland and Bernardo coming back in the latter part of the season so they can be our "new" signings.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:23 pm

One that got away. Perhaps I’m reading too much into this but wasn’t Brian Kaltak (CCM centre back) at FK Beograd when Damian Mori was coach? How was he overlooked as a potential United signing? Perhaps with Barr, Popovic and Warland and Ansell it was considered to be enough.
Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:04 pm

This is my 1st post , been red fan for ever , but I got to say that I am sick of the way CV has us playing , this slow pass across the park then play back , how many times does Goodwin receive a 10 - 15 metres in side the opponent’s 1/2 only for him to pass it 50 metres back, when we do get into the box the players appear to have any idea how to set a team mate up . Hate to be so negative but that’s what’s happening on the park and only one person can change it is CV , but he has been employing the same tactic since he got the job so can’t see it been changed
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby EdDog Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:53 pm

This is my 1st post , been red fan for ever , but I got to say that I am sick of the way CV has us playing , this slow pass across the park then play back , how many times does Goodwin receive a 10 - 15 metres in side the opponent’s 1/2 only for him to pass it 50 metres back, when we do get into the box the players appear to have any idea how to set a team mate up . Hate to be so negative but that’s what’s happening on the park and only one person can change it is CV , but he has been employing the same tactic since he got the job so can’t see it been changed
Welcome to the forum!

Agree, we don't really see Goody or other wingers take anyone on anymore. I miss the days of the Toures and Yengis running at players.

Isa handed a 3 match ban for that challenge which seems a bit over the top.

At least it will give us an opportunity to set up without him for a few games.
RedTide

Postby RedTide Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:38 pm

Could be a blessing in disguise. We've been too reliant on him in the past as an enforcer. Time for the other mids to step forward and start dominating their opposite numbers. Goody has the dead ball set pieces down pat, so Isa's undoubted skills there are not so critical.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:44 pm

3 matches is fair (Includes mandatory 1 match suspension for any red card I assume?)

It was really only luck that there wasn't serious injury.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm

I guess this what u get when rely on blokes over 36 years of age , and owners who refuse to invest in the team , the kids are not ready yet no matter how u look at it . Would we be the least funded team in the league ??
RedTide

Postby RedTide Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:26 pm

No - the Jest is the worst and CCM are next (ie. second worst for funding); both of whom, of course, beat us in the past couple of weeks.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:34 am

3 matches seems harsh to me too, there was no intent there and it seemed to be accidental contact from an airswing rather than a challende but I haven't been following other clubs straight red incidents close enough to know if it is consistent or not.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:35 am

It was also his second sending off for the season.

Welcome to the forum Bptiger25

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:07 am

Thank u
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:56 pm

It was also his second sending off for the season.

Welcome to the forum Bptiger25

B)
Fair enough. Repeat Reds need to be discouraged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”