Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby sevengoals Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 pm

CC Mariners 4-0 Adelaide United

Game over.

Poor, very poor.
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby EdDog Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:33 pm

I'm a sucker for punishment. Checked back in after my earlier rant.

0-4 with 10 men is an acceptable scoreline on paper against a good team at home. I say acceptable as it is in the range of "anything worse and it's Southampton-esque". We can recover from this.

But in the context, we didn't need to be in this position, we were not that far off the pace until the send off. Isa doesn't do what he did and we have a fighting chance. Carl doesn't do what he did and we have a fighting chance.

Perfect game at home to rebound next week against Victory but Carl and some of the senior players need some reflection time.
Last edited by EdDog on Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:34 pm

Anyone have stats for "goals conceded between 'red card' and 'first change made after the red card'"?

Adelaide would have to be leading this comfortably.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:42 pm

Anyone have stats for "goals conceded between 'red card' and 'first change made after the red card'"?

100%

How many games have we watched when the opposition gets a red card and the excitement builds "oh we might see a cricket score" only to watch a frustrating game of 90% possession with no chances, but for maybe an injury time goal.

This is how you play with 10 men. We need to start doing that.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:46 pm

Will possibly be able to think rationally about this in about 3 days from now.
Maybe.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:48 pm

Turned off and got the bbq fired up instead.
Change needed.
Interloper

Re: RE: Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Interloper Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:27 pm

100%

How many games have we watched when the opposition gets a red card and the excitement builds "oh we might see a cricket score" only to watch a frustrating game of 90% possession with no chances, but for maybe an injury time goal.

It's most annoying when they eventually find a decent set up, but have conceded in the 5 minutes it took to make the sub. (eg Wellington)

It went from 1-0 to 4-0 in that time today. Though the setup was still poor at the end anyway.

Surely a red-card is a foreseeable event and there'd be a ready-made plan to snap into action in almost all circumstances.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:49 pm

100%

It's most annoying when they eventually find a decent set up, but have conceded in the 5 minutes it took to make the sub. (eg Wellington)

It went from 1-0 to 4-0 in that time today. Though the setup was still poor at the end anyway.

Surely a red-card is a foreseeable event and there'd be a ready-made plan to snap into action in almost all circumstances.
Yep and that plan is not complex:
Hook Hiroshi and Clough (sorry guys, not personal).
Bring on D'Arrigo and Ansell.

We now have
Gauci
Panashe-Barr-Popa-Ansell-Kitto
Halloran-D'Arrigo-Juande-Goody

Sit deep, close lines, frustrate them, be patient. Wait for the counter then we have enough speed and quality on the wings to maybe nab a goal.

It won't be pretty and I'm not saying this always works - and more often than not we concede a second - but we don't concede a third or fourth and there's a MUCH better chance it stays at 0-1 and we nab a late goal by bringing on fresh wingers (Nestory et al) with 10 mins to go.
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 pm

When you see it like this you see how awful that challenge was.
He is my all time favourite player, but he’s not what he once was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:17 pm

Yeah bad challenge and definite red. I'm not defending him but it looked a slip and luckily there wasn't much force behind it.

But it does highlight how far off the pace he is now. We were all singing his praises last week for a brilliant display. I think he can still be a key player, just needs to work on his challenges and realise his limitations. I see no need for him to be tackling in that situation. Player has his back to goal, half way up the pitch. Just jockey and body him.

Anyway won't be any issue for the boys to get up next week. Red card gives us an opportunity to refresh the squad and a 0-4 pumping should result in some changes.

Not the end of the world. Still top 6 and prior to the send off I thought we were well in it and a chance for improvement in the second.

For context, City beat Western today 4-0 and WU had 11 men for the whole game.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:47 pm

I was disappointed with the substitutions when they arrived. Obviously the game was over by then but would the introduction of D’arrigo, Ansell, Carvalho and Blackwood made the slightest difference if they had come on after the red card? None of them are gamechangers. (Blackwood has been occasionally in the right place at the right time)
It’s painfully obvious that we lack depth and quality.
The only answer is to sell our big names and rebuild starting with the midfield. Depressing.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:09 pm

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Interloper Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 am

100%

Yep and that plan is not complex:
Hook Hiroshi and Clough (sorry guys, not personal).
Bring on D'Arrigo and Ansell.

We now have
Gauci
Panashe-Barr-Popa-Ansell-Kitto
Halloran-D'Arrigo-Juande-Goody

Sit deep, close lines, frustrate them, be patient. Wait for the counter then we have enough speed and quality on the wings to maybe nab a goal.

It won't be pretty and I'm not saying this always works - and more often than not we concede a second - but we don't concede a third or fourth and there's a MUCH better chance it stays at 0-1 and we nab a late goal by bringing on fresh wingers (Nestory et al) with 10 mins to go.
Even with that 10. You could have Halloran as a defensive forward + Madanha RW/Ansell RB. You've got all existing defensive posts covered, a more mobile/less isolated CF, AND nobody is playing a position they haven't before.

Either way, Clough and Ibusuki were way too slow once Adelaide went down to 10.

(I will note that Clough acquitted himself well as a defensive winger the last time Adelaide went down to 10 vs CCM last year.)
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:12 am

The World Cup has been the worst thing to happen to us. Ironic.

We have been deplorable since then, despite beating Perth (who are even poorer).

Some poor coaching is resulting in poor discipline, ineffective and poorly timed substitutions, and players falling out of form.

Why are Juande and Isaias both starting over D'Arrigo, who is young and fresh?
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:14 pm

When Carl's plan A works we look great, When it doesn't we look useless and unfortunately there's no plan B.

I hate losing to the usual (not always) pushover teams, Newy, Brisbane, CCM because it makes me realise we're also pushovers haha

Nothing coming in the transfer window so let's hope our players can find some form from somewhere.

Someone said before this game that this is our chance to show if we're worthy of a top 2/3 or not. By that measuring stick, What does losing 4-nil mean?

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”