Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

RedTide
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby RedTide Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:21 pm

Overall, it was just what we needed - a good, solid win. Nothing flashy, nothing that will be remembered a year from now - but a solid win to get us back on track after the debacle against the Jest last week.

Best for me was Clough, who is fulfilling the potential that was talked about when he joined us a year ago. If he can stay uninjured, he can be either a 10 or an 8 and take over the midfield generalship role when Isaias eventually retires.

Speaking of whom, there were moments tonight when Isa played some balls that recalled his very best from 5 - 6 years ago. Maybe he is having a second wind, at age 36?

We look much better with Halloran out right, Goody on the left and Clough charging through the middle, in classic 10 mode. There were times when you could tell that the Perth defence didn't know who to check or shut down, because there were so many red shirts flowing around them. Although Hiroshi didn't score, he was instrumental in pulling Perth's RH defenders and Liam Reddy over to him, which opened up the space for Benny to slam in the second goal and seal the win. It's the threat that Hiroshi represents that has defences double teaming him, as the Jest did all night last week. If his height doesn't get you (with a header), then his capacity to pull defences out of shape and open up space will.

3 - 2 - 1 for me were Clough, Goodwin and Isaias, but the whole team contributed and it seems unfair to not throw votes at the whole side.

We're away to the Central Coast on Saturday and yesterday I would have predicted a heavy loss for us there. Now I'm not so sure; maybe a 2-all draw?
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:28 pm

Agree Madanha played well for his first start. A few times out of position and other players having to cover for him, a few times misplaced passes, but defended very well and looked ok further up the park too.

Also thought Popovic and Barr were back to their best as a pairing, after a few ordinary games. Second half the Perth forwards were constantly switching and making runs in behind, all of which was very well covered, with good communication.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:29 pm

Really liked watching Madanha. Great attacking intent (could be punished against a better team though). I wonder if the 'inverted wing back' runs into the centre of the park with Halloran staying wide were a specific strategy, or that's just his natural game?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:05 pm

Ibusuki was instrumental in the first goal too. He won’t be credited with an assist, but that’s what it was.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:05 pm

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:42 am

Ibusuki was instrumental in the first goal too. He won’t be credited with an assist, but that’s what it was.
Really good point, Otto; Ibusuki managed to bring Liam Reddy well off his line, which left the goalmouth empty, for Lachy Barr to head home the rebound. Ibusuki copped a punch to the head from Liam Reddy for his troubles, too.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:32 am

First trip of the season to Coopers for me. I decided to get a $10 dollar upgrade to sit in new stand near half-way line. It used to be my usual spot as you get a better view of what’s going on. The PA was very loud, I thought I was a disco after the full-time whistle (that shows how old I am).
Juande, Isa and Clough were standouts for me in a game that was only so so. I didn’t expect too much against a team that plays with five at the back.
I’ve watched a lot of games on Paramount and I don’t think the Reds will make the finals this year with their present roster.
We’ve beaten the bottom three teams (as it stands) but have some very hard games coming up.
Warland’s return is a must and Irankunda needs more minutes before he goes somewhere else. The whole team will need a rebuild after this season as other teams are leaving us behind.
I just hope that Goodwin and Clough don’t get injured, because without them, we’re pretty average. Sorry.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:53 am

that's a fair assessment I reckon Mike!
Watching the highlights though we had some really lovely moves.. if Clough's header off that early counterattack had gone in it would have been a great goal, same with Isaias' shot that rattled the bar from outside the box. Juande and Isaias were on form (Perth were static, so their lack of pace wasn't an issue), and our midfield looks much better with Clough's mobility.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Philbyramone Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:40 pm

First trip of the season to Coopers for me. I decided to get a $10 dollar upgrade to sit in new stand near half-way line. It used to be my usual spot as you get a better view of what’s going on. The PA was very loud, I thought I was a disco after the full-time whistle (that shows how old I am).
Juande, Isa and Clough were standouts for me in a game that was only so so. I didn’t expect too much against a team that plays with five at the back.
I’ve watched a lot of games on Paramount and I don’t think the Reds will make the finals this year with their present roster.
We’ve beaten the bottom three teams (as it stands) but have some very hard games coming up.
Warland’s return is a must and Irankunda needs more minutes before he goes somewhere else. The whole team will need a rebuild after this season as other teams are leaving us behind.
I just hope that Goodwin and Clough don’t get injured, because without them, we’re pretty average. Sorry.
I also used to sit around the halfway line on the eastern stand. There was always a geezer me and my sons used to call “Cassio’s Dad” cos he looked like Cassio, but older, and seemed to be South American. I decided not to pony up for the extra dollars until I Sussed it out. Was it worth it?

As to the PA - I absolutely hate it. It actually makes me think twice about going. It really does not need to be THAT LOUD!!!!!!

I enjoyed the game and agree with most comments here, but it won’t stay in my memory for long.

Weird incident - I was in the northern stand, and just before half time Juande appeared to handle the ball in the penalty area. My son and I both clearly saw it and looked at each other expecting VAR and a Pen. Nothing. One Perth player was going off at the Ref but no one else seemed interested. Very weird. If they had got that Pen and then Ivanovic had buried that clear chance from 5 yards we would be having a different chat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mikeewanuk

Postby mikeewanuk Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:53 pm

It was worth the extra ten dollars for the view of the entire pitch. I’m not too good with guessing the action that’s 100 metres away. But I have paid up my membership and Paramount+ in instalments. I don’t know what the cost is for a single game. So an extra 10 bucks doesn’t seem excessive.
But it was bloody LOUD.
mikeewanuk

Postby mikeewanuk Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:58 pm

Did anybody see Nestory’s absolute screamer in the warm up pre-game? To say he was overjoyed would be an understatement.
RedTide

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby RedTide Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:34 pm

I also used to sit around the halfway line on the eastern stand. There was always a geezer me and my sons used to call “Cassio’s Dad” cos he looked like Cassio, but older, and seemed to be South American. I decided not to pony up for the extra dollars until I Sussed it out. Was it worth it?

As to the PA - I absolutely hate it. It actually makes me think twice about going. It really does not need to be THAT LOUD!!!!!!

I enjoyed the game and agree with most comments here, but it won’t stay in my memory for long.

Weird incident - I was in the northern stand, and just before half time Juande appeared to handle the ball in the penalty area. My son and I both clearly saw it and looked at each other expecting VAR and a Pen. Nothing. One Perth player was going off at the Ref but no one else seemed interested. Very weird. If they had got that Pen and then Ivanovic had buried that clear chance from 5 yards we would be having a different chat.

The potential handball was noted on the telecast at the time by the commentators and I presume that most telecast viewers saw it too. It was obvious when it happened, though, that the ball had cannoned straight into Juande; he had no chance to react, let alone lift his arm and the ref rightly waved play on, as being an accidental contact. Common sense prevailed (for once).

The Perth gaffer never even referred to it in the post-match presser, so clearly he felt that it was the right decision - which it was.
Woy of the Wovers
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Woy of the Wovers Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:27 am

The potential handball was noted on the telecast at the time by the commentators and I presume that most telecast viewers saw it too. It was obvious when it happened, though, that the ball had cannoned straight into Juande; he had no chance to react, let alone lift his arm and the ref rightly waved play on, as being an accidental contact. Common sense prevailed (for once).

The Perth gaffer never even referred to it in the post-match presser, so clearly he felt that it was the right decision - which it was.
thank you. It’s such a lottery with handballs these days. I saw that one at the ground too and so I didn’t hear the tv commentary.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:52 am

yeah that looked like a clear handball in real time at the ground, I would not have been surprised at a pen, but Perth players didn't shout for it and everyone just kept playing

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”