Adelaide United vs Brisbane Roar Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

EdDog
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Adelaide United vs Brisbane Roar Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Clough also a concern. Presume injured which doesn't bode well for the consistency we'd hope to see going forward.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:29 pm

I would have liked to have seen a post-match press conference with CV. It’s obvious that the powers that be don’t take this competition too seriously. VAR should also be available when we get to the pointy end of the competition. There is a spot in Asia for the winner, and if that happens to be a non-league club, how is it going to be financed?
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United vs Brisbane Roar Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 pm

You won't see many worse calls than that this season. Got the ball, didn't hit the man. Studs up so a free, at most a yellow.

Ruins the game that kind of refereeing.
I've reconsidered my post and think the red was there.

Whilst Hiroshi didn't studs-up the player and got the ball, he had no control as he was completely off the ground.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:19 am

He kicked out as he was going in, too. Just that little movement I reckon turned a yellow into a red.
Anyway, rubbish showing. Took a while to find our feet last season, but I would hope that with the core of the squad unchanged it shouldn't take us too long to gel this time round. Also a bit worried about no backup strikers. Those that have watched a bit of the youth team, do you reckon Kasumovic has what it takes?
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:00 pm

lol just rewatched it. 1:40. definite red. studs up over the ball.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:28 pm

I think without the red card we would have had a good shot of overhauling the two goal start we gave them. We had the momentum from the goal before halftime. Having said that Brisbane could have easily been 3 or 4 up after that first half an hour.

Goodwin and Clough being out showed that we have a significant lack of depth up front. I think Carl mentioned in a previous interview that he was reasonably happy with the off season recruitment but that he would have liked at least one more addition. I think that wish may be more prominent in his mind now.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United vs Brisbane Roar Australia Cup Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:55 pm

I think without the red card we would have had a good shot of overhauling the two goal start we gave them. We had the momentum from the goal before halftime. Having said that Brisbane could have easily been 3 or 4 up after that first half an hour.

Goodwin and Clough being out showed that we have a significant lack of depth up front. I think Carl mentioned in a previous interview that he was reasonably happy with the off season recruitment but that he would have liked at least one more addition. I think that wish may be more prominent in his mind now.
I wonder what a front three of Bernado-Goody-Halloran with Clough in behind would look like.

Hard to imagine it working given our style of play.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:29 am

I wonder what a front three of Bernado-Goody-Halloran with Clough in behind would look like.

I think Goody would be wasted in a central role. We miss his class delivery from out wide when he's not playing. Centrally we've really only got Ibu or Blackwood, and imo George has never really performed as a number 9. His best games have been when operating in a deeper role.

Hopefully Kasumovic can step up and provide decent back up to Hiro, but when he came on in this game he went wide right and Halloran moved into the middle which I found interesting. Is he not a central striker ?
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:17 pm

Yeah you’d have to start Blackwood up top and play Bernardo off the bench.
sub007

Postby sub007 Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:19 pm

I think the depth on the wings is fine, it’s just that Veart’s team selections have been crap. Like I can’t believe he put Cavallo on the bench to play wing when Nestory is fully fit and available.

We could do with another striker however.
sub007

Postby sub007 Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:21 pm

Anyway back to the performance itself, it was very evident that Carl didn’t take the tournament seriously at all. We lacked sharpness and fitness and that’s down to not playing a single friendly. Carl’s team selections were also poor.

Brisbane on the other hand, fielded their strongest side available and have played a number of friendlies so were much fitter and sharper. That’s why they beat us despite having a much weaker squad.
Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:39 am

I think the depth on the wings is fine, it’s just that Veart’s team selections have been crap. Like I can’t believe he put Cavallo on the bench to play wing when Nestory is fully fit and available.

We could do with another striker however.
Nestory has scored some scorchers but he is miles behind in terms of decision making and vision. In retrospect he might have been a good option to throw on in that particular game but in general Cavallo can cover more positions and is a smarter player, so having him on the bench is a no brainer. If anything Nestory would have been an option instead of Kasumovic.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”