Melbourne City v Adelaide United Semi-Final 2nd Leg Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Philbyramone
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Semi-Final 2nd Leg Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Philbyramone Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 pm

I can complain and I will. Terrible end to a promising season.

You can't spend the whole season complaining that the club has been underestimated compared to the 'big clubs' and then once eliminated claim "well really it was an honour just to be close to the well-funded big city teams who deserve to be there and are our inherent superiors."

The reality was AU were 1-0 up and in the box seat. And then torpedoed the season with a bad substitution (involving a player who was a pretty bad signing in the end) instead of bringing on a like-for-like swap for an injured player.
Can you clarify. Are you saying Brook for Blackwood was a bad substitution and the reason Tilio scored?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interloper

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Semi-Final 2nd Leg Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Interloper Sun May 22, 2022 8:22 pm

You can't spend the whole season complaining that the club has been underestimated compared to the 'big clubs' and then once eliminated claim "well really it was an honour just to be close to the well-funded big city teams who deserve to be there and are our inherent superiors."

The reality was AU were 1-0 up and in the box seat. And then torpedoed the season with a bad substitution (involving a player who was a pretty bad signing in the end) instead of bringing on a like-for-like swap for an injured player.
Can you clarify. Are you saying Brook for Blackwood was a bad substitution and the reason Tilio scored?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely. There was a working structure, Ibusuki for Blackwood keeps things as they were. Trading up if anything.

The only reason I can think of for the change they did make is if they were worried about Yengi's ability to play 90 minutes. But he played 120 just fine.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Semi-Final 2nd Leg Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Rojos Sun May 22, 2022 8:46 pm

Agree with the sentiment but the reality is we were up 1-0 but then over run by a side that was afforded
- fewer games is greater days (which they earned)
- a charter flight home from leg1
- superior strength and conditioning resources
- a squad largely aged between 22-32 where we have many outside that bracket

I though Carl did well, it's guess work and hypothetical to say Ibusuki or Irankunda or Bernardo should have been given more or less times, in reality they seemed reasonable calls at the time.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Sun May 22, 2022 8:56 pm

Once all three amigos were off the park we played like headless chooks. Which doesn't bode well for next season if one retires and the other two get even slower.
I think we need to move on from these three.

Isa hasn't been the same since returning, not just his movement but his touch as well.
Lopez has been good but was at fault for the goal today, would keep him as back up to Van Der Saag if on low wages
Juande has been good but is 35, he's just holding out D'Arrigo and now Yull.

Time for a new suite of Visa players.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun May 22, 2022 9:05 pm

It can be true that people underestimated us AND that we’re a long way short of the quality of the big clubs.
But on here IMO more people have been saying that we’ve been overachieving. Most were saying we’d be lucky to scrape into 6th.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sun May 22, 2022 9:15 pm

IMO Lopez & Juande have both had a brilliant season.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun May 22, 2022 11:16 pm

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon May 23, 2022 1:34 am

I though Carl did well, it's guess work and hypothetical to say Ibusuki or Irankunda or Bernardo should have been given more or less times, in reality they seemed reasonable calls at the time.
I think Veart did a good job overall this season. But Ibusuki sitting out an entire 90 minutes would have been unthinkable even yesterday morning.

This season deserves better than that just sliding by unquestioned.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Mon May 23, 2022 5:26 am

Will also add that great goal aside, clough has been average at best, hopefully we are looking for better next season.
otto62

Postby otto62 Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 am

I think Veart did a good job overall this season. But Ibusuki sitting out an entire 90 minutes would have been unthinkable even yesterday morning.

This season deserves better than that just sliding by unquestioned.
I thought the same about Ibusuki on the bench … and then not coming on.
In a ‘like for like’ scenario, I think CV was probably looking to swap them when Yengi started to tire (expecting say 60 minutes), But Yengi caused them so many problems and didn’t fade until right near the end, so IMO CV was right to leave him on.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Mon May 23, 2022 7:52 am

Agree Otto, also though Yengi had to stay on as he looked dangerous but thought it might have been an idea to bring Ibusuki on when Blackwood went off.
Unfortunately Brook was pretty ineffective when he came on and Bernardo even more so, just a pity we could not hang on for that last 10 minutes but ultimately its games like these where having a deeper squad shines through in many cases.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Mon May 23, 2022 10:47 am

Agree Otto, also though Yengi had to stay on as he looked dangerous but thought it might have been an idea to bring Ibusuki on when Blackwood went off.
Unfortunately Brook was pretty ineffective when he came on and Bernardo even more so, just a pity we could not hang on for that last 10 minutes but ultimately its games like these where having a deeper squad shines through in many cases.
Bernardo didn't have a great game. None of the "head down and run at defenders" wide players did. I think voluntarily removing Goodwin as a threat by playing him out of position was the bigger issue with subsequent changes though.

Also it's a testament to Kitto's quality at Left Back these days that Goodwin was a significant downgrade in the position.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Melbourne City v Adelaide United Semi-Final 2nd Leg Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby bpowell454 Mon May 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Bernardo didn't have a great game. None of the "head down and run at defenders" wide players did. I think voluntarily removing Goodwin as a threat by playing him out of position was the bigger issue with subsequent changes though.

Also it's a testament to Kitto's quality at Left Back these days that Goodwin was a significant downgrade in the position.
Yeh im not a big fan of that tactic. It worked once earlier in the season and I think its used as a way to bring on both young wingers but I'm not a fan.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon May 23, 2022 4:40 pm

I think that while Carl has been getting his subs right more times than not this season, that just wasn't the case on Sunday.
Whether that was down to his hands being tied by circumstances such as player fatigue is up for debate.

Goody implied in his post match that some players lost their heads towards the end which begs the question - should at least of one from Isa, Juande and Javi been kept on to provide some structure and composure ? But I guess 3 games in 7 days and then extra time was just too much for them.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Mon May 23, 2022 10:40 pm

I thought emptying the bench was a bit silly.

Even if players are tiring, bringing on Tratt for Lopez is such a massive downgrade.

It's not like a game of FIFA where bringing on fresh legs has no impact to the chemistry of the team.

Both teams were tiring so taking off all that experience just killed us.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”