WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

MartinAUFC
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby MartinAUFC Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Uk players traditionally struggle in the a league, statistically they are the worst performing nationality.

That's the second time you've said that in a post on here. Do you have a link to these stats?
nearly 100 players from the uk (england/wales/scotland/northernireland/ireland) have been brought across to the a league since its inception (not counting players like ryan strain who were born in england and came here as a child)

once you factor in salaries, how many would you say have been a genuine success in terms of bang for buck?

le fondre at sydney
ifil at wellington
keogh at perth

for every one of these players, you get 15 dregs like lloyd owusu, joe keegan etc. etc

brazil and the netherlands complete the top 3 for worst performing nationalities in the a league
So no statistics then. We're all entitled to our opinion I guess.

The wiki list I saw had 86 players from the UK.
I think we probably need to include in the list of successes: Aldred, Ball, Brebner, Gordon, Hooper, McFlynn, Miller, Montgomery, Noone, O'Donovan, and O'Shea.
(Of course Dwight Yorke doesn't count ... but really he should.)
All of those would be considered by their clubs to be value for money and a successful import.

So 14 successful out of 86 (not counting Yorke).
For every 1 that's a success, there are about 5 that aren't.
My gut feel about other nationalities is that (with a few notable exceptions) they're probably pretty similar, although I don't have the statistics to back that up,

I would add Michael Bridges, Robbie Fowler and Chris Greenacre to that list. Ok, they didn't set the league on fire, but all 3 have gone on to have coaching or media careers and therefore contributed positively to the footballing landscape in this country imo.
offshorejack
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: WS Wanderers v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby offshorejack Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:41 am

The club is also in talks to bring home another local #10 at season end, raphael - he is incredibly unhappy with his lack of game time at city

Raphael scored his first a-league goal for city last night, albeit a tap in

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”