New Owners?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Woy of the Wovers
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Hiroshi

Re: New Owners?

Postby Woy of the Wovers Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:13 am

Deal is dead. Article in the 'Tiser behind a paywall.

Extremely disappointing.
The rumours suggest the Chinese club was the issue but Hu knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:52 pm

Disappointing the deal fell through but I honestly can't begrudge the current owners.

We consistently see AU youth players given a crack, the Visa's of Ibusuki and Clough are ok (Clough borderline) and the side is playing well.

I don't agree with everything the club does and we'll always be on a shoestring, but that's kind of the attraction.

There's a lot to be excited about on the field, Irankunda, Yull, Alagich, Jovanovic and so on.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: New Owners?

Postby EdDog Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:53 pm

Deal is dead. Article in the 'Tiser behind a paywall.

Extremely disappointing.
The rumours suggest the Chinese club was the issue but Hu knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100% the Chinese club was baggage they didn't want.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:01 am

the deal collapsed a while ago, ross did not want the chinese team to be part of the sale - believe this was (and still is) the sticking point with any potential new owner/s
Not surprised.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:14 pm

https://adelaideunited.com.au/news/adel ... ned-morris

Faceless owners are no longer faceless.

Piet steps down to be replaced by Ned Morris.

Very intriguing after nearly being sold a few months ago.

I have my skeptical hat on.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:57 pm

Right. All the conspiracy nuts can now do their thing.
The owners are crooks!
The owners are broke!
The owners are controlled by the Chinese government, which is why we can’t unlink the Chinese club from the sale!

And …. go.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:42 pm

Not a conspiracy theorist at all but very unusual timing.

They've picked a time when things are at the best they've been in a long time (which there is nothing wrong with per se).

Deal has just collapsed and we are introduced to owners who've been unknown since 2018...

More questions than answers.

Bptiger25
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Goodwin

Postby Bptiger25 Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:42 pm

So does this mean we will get more money to buy a couple of class players that will see us win a comp rather than get to the finals and be beat by a side full of overseas players , can anyone know if this will be the case
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:15 pm

Dear Ben,

My name is Cor Adriaanse, I am the majority shareholder in Adelaide United, and I am here in Adelaide representing the Club’s ownership group.

Today is a big day for our Club – one that fills us with a lot of excitement and optimism about our future.

You may have seen or heard about the news of our new Chair, Ned Morris, who immediately replaces Piet Van der Pol. Ned is a senior international sports executive who has worked in the industry for more than 20 years and we are proud to have brought him to the Reds to help lead us as further forward.

The progress the Club has made in recent years, both on and off the field, has been exceptional and we are deep in the process of ensuring we further these advancements.

As owners of Adelaide United since 2018, we have been acutely aware of the responsibility we hold in owning this special football club and what it represents for all South Australians. Football is our passion and we will be vastly increasing our strategic investment to make the Club bigger, better, and stronger.

As we close out this season, Ned will work with our Chief Executive Officer, Nathan Kosmina, and the Senior Management Team, spend time with fans, and meet with key stakeholders so that we can all work together to make the best contribution possible to the development of this game in South Australia.

There is no secret that Adelaide United has some of the best fans in Australian football, with the Red Army providing a fantastic atmosphere at the best purpose-built football stadium in the A-Leagues. And these are just a few of the many reasons why we are so thrilled to be playing a part in this exciting, new era for the Club.

The foundations have been laid for us to continue this Club’s past successes and we are devoted to ensuring Adelaide United flourishes for years to come.

Thank you,

Cor
Sounds like they're keen to make a go at it again. Remember the first season of this ownership? paying a transfer for McGree, bringing Troisi home (seemed like a W at the time). Covid didn't help for sure and I'm keen to see some renewed interest and investment from them.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:24 am

It seems the Dutch are back.
Actually they were always here but we did not know it.
(Or we did know it and I just forgot. Bugger, can't remember ...)

The Daily Mail has even reported on it ...
Five-year mystery is solved as the secret owner of A-League side Adelaide United finally reveals his identity - and his future plans for the club
Lucky us ... :mrgreen:

I must admit it took me a while to understand what was going on.
Basically, old new /new old owner has outed himself as our majority share holder.
Welcome Mr. Cor Adriaanse!

And Piet is gone and we have a new generic sports manager type in his place.

While looking around for info I came across this article and somehow it seems fitting even though it's nearly 12months old.

https://www.theinnersanctum.com.au/the- ... de-united/

Come on United!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
2UtdsDundeeAdel

Postby 2UtdsDundeeAdel Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:28 am

To be fair, they are saying the right things
Proof will be in the pudding
Not new owners, but a new chair and now the owners have stepped out of the shadows
They have built a solid young team who have performed consistently well over the last 3 seasons.

I'll judge them next by whether their promises are hollow or hold true
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:22 pm

The funny but to me is that this Ned chap seems like he would have been ideal in the Pelligra, multi-sport, multi-club conglomerate they've been amassing.

The China thing wouldn't be baggage if they were in CSL or Chinese League1...... So best work on that.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:31 pm

Hate to say it , but all the things he said he never mentioned more investment in players coming to the club , we have great juniors but u must have experience players in key positions. Hope they do what they say and also but money into recruitment
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Postby AndyJebiga Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:18 pm

bit of background info for everyone.................

the ownership group has been connected through various ventures over the past several years

Adelaide United is owned by Australian Football Opportunities Pty Ltd which in turn is owned by the Hong Kong’s Global Football Opportunities.

The directors of Australian Football Opportunities are van der Pol and Adelaide accountant David Rasheed, while Van Der Pool is the director of Global Football Opportunities

Van Der Pool has a background in football and is the President and CEO of Qingdao Red Lions in Shandong province, a club he formed with Rob van Eck and former Adelaide United Board member, Bruno Marveggio.

Rob Van Eck has long been rumoured to be one of Adelaide's United’s owners (turned down various enquiries over the years by the media)

Van Eck is the majority shareholder and first director of Global Football Opportunities - he has vast business structures in Shenzhen, China, where he has been based for over a decade.

The business minded dutchman has made his fortune as the Managing Director of Smart Brands International, which is involved with the development, production and worldwide distribution of consumer goods under brands like Goodyear, Dunlop and Grundig.

Another company Van Eck is involved in is the Shenzhen Intra Industry - which is a trading group that exports products for retailers worldwide, working closely with Dutch family-owned trading company, EDCO,

EDCO is owned by the Adriaanse family, and Yu Li Dong. - Van Eck, Cor Adriaanse and Yu were co-directors in a company known as Jaliro International which is also involved in import/export.

Van Eck established Global Football Opportunities in 2017 and van der Pol was made the sole director the following year.

van der Pol established Australian Football Opportunities through respected Adelaide accounting firm, Tilbrook Rasheed - with the transfer of shares to Adelaide United taking place

directors of Adelaide United were van der Pol and Brisbane lawyer Freeda Stevenson, while the directors of Australian Football Opportunities are van der Pol and David Rasheed.
Bptiger25

Postby Bptiger25 Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:45 pm

It all sounds great , they have there toe in everything and by the sounds of it making a fortune, yet we struggle and must be one of the poorest clubs in the a-league, I think before everyone gets excited we wait to see what they do for the footy club next year that will be the acid test

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”