New Owners?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Rojos
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

New Owners?

Postby Rojos Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:16 pm

The rumours are getting stronger the Pelligra group will buy AU for approx $20m.

What do we know? First and foremost they are property developers (what does this mean for Hindmarsh?) They own:

- Adelaide Giants baseball team and "plan" to build them new facilities
- Own the old Holden site
- Own South Melbourne Hellas ?
- Own the old 36ers Powerhouse

You don't need to spend a truckload at AU, you need to be shrewd. Piet did it in year 1 but couldn't stay the course, Greg Griffin did it in our title winning season.
EdDog

Re: New Owners?

Postby EdDog Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:25 pm

Apparently they've baulked at the $22m pricetag set by Piet but I'm very much looking forward to us changing hands. Hopefully it goes ahead.

We need to keep on doing what we've been doing if we get new owners.

I'm the first one to complain about our lack of spending but that's just the football fan in me.

We've always run a tight ship and more often than not made smart signings based on our budget. It's a smart business model and keeps us propped up long term. We don't always get things right but what club does?

We would have to be the best run club outside the big guys I reckon.

Long may it continue.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:29 pm

As Bruce Djite said in his Ten News interview, Pelligra is the perfect type of owner. He is passionate about sport and has invested heavily in South Australia. The state benefits with his investment in sport and property development. He has a vested interest in the state, so he would invest his money wisely. He is cashed up and has the capacity to lift the club in a number of ways ( Investment in players/ stadium/training facilities/recruitment of key administrative personnel etc.) He could pour money into junior development and expanding the Academy with more junior squads for both boys and girls. It is also good that the ownership will not be a mystery any more.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:53 pm

They also own Lionsgate Industrial Park (former Holden site at Elizabeth).
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:14 am

I'm convinced.
They should buy the club.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/manton-st- ... ion-block/

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:37 am

We would have to be the best run club outside the big guys I reckon.

Long may it continue.
I've said it elsewhere but yes, we are a good buy.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:36 pm

$22m is actually a bargain. Consider the amount of Association Football clubs that are for sale at any one time around the world and then consider how many hundreds and hundreds of satellite and cable channels that are desperate for fresh, new content. If it's a sporting event, all the better, because then the satellite/cable company can sell advertising space to gambling companies. Have you ever noticed how many gambling companies advertise on FTA and satellite/cable channels? There is a really good reason for that.

If I was Ross Pelligra, I would sell out of South Melbourne and throw everything that he could at AUFC. South Melbourne is too heavily identified with Melbourne's Greek community. The A-League left the old ethnic model of football clubs behind when it was formed in the early 2000s - thank God. That is why the Australian game has been almost completely free of ethnic violence and rioting. If you ever want to see what might have been, have a look at any Serie A game after Juventus or either of the Milans drop a match against a lower matched side and then you will see how the European game has been warped by hatred, division and racism.

We live in interesting times ,,,, but I think that Ross Pelligra would (a) be a great owner, given the amount of money that he has poured into the state and (b) gain a bargain if he does buy AUFC for $22m. Let's not forget that the A-League has a surprisingly high profile in the UK and across Europe. Everyone there who is a serious football fan knows about us.

We ARE a highly marketable commodity and a VERY attractive purchase for any prospective buyer.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:33 pm

$22m is actually a bargain. Consider the amount of Association Football clubs that are for sale at any one time around the world and then consider how many hundreds and hundreds of satellite and cable channels that are desperate for fresh, new content. If it's a sporting event, all the better, because then the satellite/cable company can sell advertising space to gambling companies. Have you ever noticed how many gambling companies advertise on FTA and satellite/cable channels? There is a really good reason for that.

If I was Ross Pelligra, I would sell out of South Melbourne and throw everything that he could at AUFC. South Melbourne is too heavily identified with Melbourne's Greek community. The A-League left the old ethnic model of football clubs behind when it was formed in the early 2000s - thank God. That is why the Australian game has been almost completely free of ethnic violence and rioting. If you ever want to see what might have been, have a look at any Serie A game after Juventus or either of the Milans drop a match against a lower matched side and then you will see how the European game has been warped by hatred, division and racism.

We live in interesting times ,,,, but I think that Ross Pelligra would (a) be a great owner, given the amount of money that he has poured into the state and (b) gain a bargain if he does buy AUFC for $22m. Let's not forget that the A-League has a surprisingly high profile in the UK and across Europe. Everyone there who is a serious football fan knows about us.

We ARE a highly marketable commodity and a VERY attractive purchase for any prospective buyer.
We’ll said Piet.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:16 am

A bit much using the "ethnic violence" card when trying to sell AU football club.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

No Roots, No Growth!
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:53 pm

Please add the old Wakefield Hospital and a few office towers in the CBD to the list of investments that Pelligra has made. He is also involved in the Crows quest for a training base and with Gupta's developments in Whyalla. He has said that there is at least twenty years of economic growth in South Australia.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:46 pm

Please add the old Wakefield Hospital and a few office towers in the CBD to the list of investments that Pelligra has made. He is also involved in the Crows quest for a training base and with Gupta's developments in Whyalla. He has said that there is at least twenty years of economic growth in South Australia.

Bloody hell! What does he do in his spare time?? :wink:
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:32 am

I'm convinced.
They should buy the club.

https://indaily.com.au/sport/manton-st- ... ion-block/

B)
Yes I agree with this article. I know very little of the Pelligra Group but they seem to be growing fast which is a small red flag in my books as far as that may provide the expectation of short term growth focus.
Obviously we'll only find that out if they take the club on.
One aspect I do like is the concept that maybe Pelligra wants to combine the clubs he owns together with the 36ers, Giants and Reds. Personally I'm a fan of that, creating more of an Adelaide Sports Club that could encourage fans and members of other sports to look at what each other is up to could be good and will create more of an Adelaide brand that sponsors could target as a whole. They could also combine general background staff like sponsorship, events and community engagement. Obviously there will be subtle differences between each club's background staff but generally pooling them together could generate a lot of efficiency and save on the costs of running each club independently.

I think the club is in a really good position and with some smart spending in the right areas could build themselves back up to the Gombau/Amor era.
- Invest in promising talent with worthwhile contracts which ensure players are leaving the moment they are contacted by someone in Europe. Ensuring playing like Toure aren't leaving as a promising 18yo but a league leading 22yo. Who moves to a Bundesliga or Ligue 1 club (for example) for good money and not those club's youth sides to be loaned around for a small fee.
- Ensure all AU development squads are funded as well as possible to ensure the pipeline of players flows
- Ensure local clubs feel they are generally being rewarded for AU picking up their promising youth.
- Fill the first team with AU developed talent and then look abroad or to the fringe Socceroos for players to fill the holes the youth squads haven't been able to fill.
- Create pipelines with Euro nations to ensure AU can secure quality talent like the Spanish Connection we once had, then offer that connection to youth players as a selling point that AU can open gateways to sending their best and brightest to high calibre clubs in countries like Spain or Germany depending where the connections are developed.

Outside of that I'm keen to see how the re-development of Cooper's Stadium changes match day attendances I think once the new stand is up and running their will be a jump in the average attendance so I don't think the potential owners should look at signing a Del Piero or Sturridge as that can be fraught with risk even thought it would be a win for the marketing department.
Time to Djbate!
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:57 pm

Channel 7 have confirmed that Pelligra have bought the club and will be announced at the end of the season.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:15 pm

Awesome news!

Hopefully we see an injection of cash but the continued focus on young talent.
sevengoals

Postby sevengoals Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:26 pm

Pelligra have purchased the club but will not announce it until the end of the season.

Should we put a spoiler alert somewhere ?

B)

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”