New Owners?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

AndyJebiga
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Re: New Owners?

Postby AndyJebiga Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:10 pm

Fee was 18 million dollars
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:28 pm

It's a great club to buy.

I don't want them to go after marquees, or spend big really.

Local lads, either through youth or returning is all I want.

Wonder if they'll push for a city stadium.
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:23 pm

I hope that Pelligra develops a training centre like the setup at Western Sydney Wanderers next to Coopers Stadium. Six pitches, gymnasium, medical facilities, indoor training/futsal courts, facilities for women and girls and ,importantly, facilities to house an academy etc. This can be the stepping stone for developing an Adelaide United Academy and incorporating more Adelaide United teams at junior/under age levels. This sets up the foundations for long term success of the Reds.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: New Owners?

Postby EdDog Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:37 am

I hope that Pelligra develops a training centre like the setup at Western Sydney Wanderers next to Coopers Stadium. Six pitches, gymnasium, medical facilities, indoor training/futsal courts, facilities for women and girls and ,importantly, facilities to house an academy etc. This can be the stepping stone for developing an Adelaide United Academy and incorporating more Adelaide United teams at junior/under age levels. This sets up the foundations for long term success of the Reds.
Sounds great but where would you put it? Without knocking down half of the houses near the stadium, I just can't see it happening anywhere nearby.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New Owners?

Postby ChillyPhilly Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:29 am

Sounds great but where would you put it? Without knocking down half of the houses near the stadium, I just can't see it happening anywhere nearby.
Plenty of underused warehousing around the stadium. The suburb could use a makeover anyway.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Rojos

Postby Rojos Fri May 13, 2022 2:30 pm

Even the league logo is similar....
Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New Owners?

Postby Stuckey Sat May 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Plenty of underused warehousing around the stadium. The suburb could use a makeover anyway.
There are some pretty massive and generally underutilised areas in Bonython Park that would be a perfect space to develop for a training facility. There is a massive relatively unkept strip of land that runs between the train line and the Torrens.

I do wonder with Pelligra buying into both 36ers and now United whether there is a play to have the Pelligra group build the much needed basketball/entertainment centre/football hybrid arena?
https://www.austadiums.com/news/818/mul ... t-revealed
How amazing would that look and what a great use of such a waste of such valuable space.
Time to Djbate!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Sat May 14, 2022 10:49 pm

The Parklands shouldn't and won't be an option.

Agree about buying up and using space currently wasted on empty or dormant warehouses adjacent to the stadium.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Sun May 15, 2022 9:23 am

The Parklands shouldn't and won't be an option.

Agree about buying up and using space currently wasted on empty or dormant warehouses adjacent to the stadium.
If we look at the space though, what value does to add to anyone beside an alternative area for North Adelaide residents to walk their dog? There are already clubrooms for sport all around the parklands, like the Adelaide City Womens ground near South Tce.
Karen Rolton Oval is a perfect example of investing into an under-used area can make it far more useful to many more.

It would be nice to see entities like AU or the Crows (just mentioned due to their interest in the Aquatic Centre) get involved in making the Parklands more useful to all. Not saying just sport should be the pure focus, or that the council should just hand over the land to these entities.
There is some amazing spaces in the parklands but its pretty clear the govt and council can't afford to make it all useful. Vic Park is a pretty classic example. Look at the area South of the pit straight. Its taken the council 5 years just to lay some paths and plant some trees. Park 6 is another good example of the Parklands not working for all. Its essentially an area exclusively reserved for some North Adelaide resident's horses. Personally I find some of the uses of the Parklands very elitist. It is supposed to be something that all benefit from, which is true for pockets of it. Other pockets just seem to be extensions of the backyards of some of the wealthiest suburbs in the metro area.

I think Hindmarsh needs to be turned into more of a residential area its so close to the city and has as good a public transport as anywhere in the metro area, I find it pretty sad to see something as iconic as the West End Brewery being knocked down for residential development while just across the river there are old warehouses wasting away. The city would be far better off for having a higher population living a closer to the city. I'm not sure how many of you have walked around the city on a Sunday afternoon when the footy isn't on. But its a ghost town. Adelaide has 1.3m people living in an area twice the size of Greater London.

Buying large industrial sites to just knock them down and lay turf on seems pretty unrealistic. Pelligra apparently bought the club for $18m, it would probably cost that again just to buy up the real estate around the stadium. They'd be better off trying to buy the stadium itself cutting out AEC as the intermediary.

I'm not trying to change your mind Phil, I'm interested in your thoughts if you have time to offer them.
Time to Djbate!
Rojos

Postby Rojos Sun May 15, 2022 2:20 pm

If I was a gambling person (I'm not, think it oughta be banned actually) I'd bet Pelligra offers to pay for a new CBD stadium in exchange for a highly favourable deal to redevelop the current basketball-baseball-ice hockey-football sites in their portfolio.

Malinauskas can sell it as, ramping fixed therefore it's time, private investor pays therefore it's affordable and the cherry in the cake will be the affordable housing for Hindmarsh, Findon, wherever else.

That'll be twice the Libs proposed a city stadium then lost an election on health, only for Labour to go and broker a "better" deal for a similar result.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:39 pm

What is the story with the "new owners"?
The season has ended and so far no announcement that I have noticed.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:23 pm

B)
May have a reason for waiting for the new financial year?
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:11 am

B)
May have a reason for waiting for the new financial year?
Fair enough but I don't know how that would influence the confirmation that the club has new owners.
I think I'm too far away to pick up on any buzz around the club which something like "new owners" would generate, especially "cashed up" new owners.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Pelligra have bought Catania in Serie D -
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:29 pm

Pelligra have bought Catania in Serie D -

Looks like they are a new phoenix club after the old Catania went bankrupt in April and got thrown out of Serie C.

A sister club in Italy could be handy :)

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”