Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

otto62
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby otto62 Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:15 am

I was under the impression that impediment, or obstruction, had to include intent. It would be good to know as perhaps my understanding of the rule is incorrect.
There was no foul. Mauk was offside.
But not interfering with play!!!!
(Except for making the goalkeeper jump over him so he couldn’t attempt a save that he would never have made.)
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:31 am

I'm really unsure about the disallowed goal. There is no way that their goalkeeper could have done anything about Lopez's shot - he would have just stood there and watched it blast into the net, regardless of whether Mauk was on the deck in front of him or not. On the other hand, goalkeepers are a protected species and just a hint of a foul will see the refs blow up for a foul.

All that notwithstanding, I'd be willing to bet that Shaun Evans is a filth fan and hates United, so he went looking for an excuse to chalk it off. The fact that he went straight to the linesman and not wait for a VAR call from the 4th official is highly suspicious.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:58 am

Couldn't be prouder of the team after last night. An unbelievable effort against the top of the table team. Yes, they were short a few good players - and so were we.
Ross did a great job and the team certainly seems to be together, even after all the departures and rumours. We remain in dire straits until we sign some new players and get some back from Covid and injury, but last night was a reminder that the RED shirt matters.
Whether we like it or not - and I didn't like it at all - Mauk was technically offside and definitely interfering with play for the disallowed goal. There's no way the keeper would have saved it but he can't even attempt a save with Mauk between his legs! :)
That being said, what a complete prat Kelava is. Celebrating like he'd scored after being completely beaten. They should do a little reality/ humility training. And the double shove on Mauk (as someone said) right in front of the ref with no card!!!! Yeah, well.... It was lovely to watch him fail to stop Goodwin's shot. He's no great keeper that lad.
Tratt continues to do some good stuff and some really, really scary stuff. Timo has at least been serviceable these last two games. Kitto was magic again. That block! Blackwood is starting to resemble the comments people make about him. I had real hopes for him but unless he can get fit and get involved his career in in decline. Lopez wonderful again. Barnardo will be a really good player in a year.
Can't believe we lost Cavallo and D'Ariggo again.
Isaias is a worry. Bad game (everyone has them) but to put the team at risk for the sake of telling the ref what everyone else already knew....dumb.

As for the comments about Cavallo being crap. That's cool. We all have players we rate and don't rate. But suggesting that his play has anything to do with his unbelievably courageous revealing of his sexual preferences is not cool. Conflating the two entirely separate issues starts to lead us into very unpleasant territory.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby AndyJebiga Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:11 pm

As for the comments about Cavallo being crap. That's cool. We all have players we rate and don't rate. But suggesting that his play has anything to do with his unbelievably courageous revealing of his sexual preferences is not cool. Conflating the two entirely separate issues starts to lead us into very unpleasant territory.
I'm assuming you're talking about me.

I never said cavallo was crap, he is being played out of position. However he also played out of position last year and did ok.

He might be the fittest player at the club, but he has been by far the worst performer this season- constantly out of position and goals always coming from his side of the pitch when he's playing

We have a left back in the youth team adam Leombruno who has potential as well as kitto and javi who can play there - so why is cavallo continually in the first eleven when he has been woeful this season?

As for his sexuality. All I said was that in all of his interviews when coming out he said how liberating and freeing as a person it will make him feel not having to hide anymore

His form has considerably regressed since he had the whole attention of the world on him.

Coincidental or am I reading too much into it?

Slightly off topic he was abused with homophobic chanting last night - will be interesting how the fa and apl respond
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Jessesdad Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about me.

I never said cavallo was crap, he is being played out of position. However he also played out of position last year and did ok.

He might be the fittest player at the club, but he has been by far the worst performer this season- constantly out of position and goals always coming from his side of the pitch when he's playing

We have a left back in the youth team adam Leombruno who has potential as well as kitto and javi who can play there - so why is cavallo continually in the first eleven when he has been woeful this season?

As for his sexuality. All I said was that in all of his interviews when coming out he said how liberating and freeing as a person it will make him feel not having to hide anymore

His form has considerably regressed since he had the whole attention of the world on him.

Coincidental or am I reading too much into it?

Slightly off topic he was abused with homophobic chanting last night - will be interesting how the fa and apl respond
Yeah, I was referring to your comment. Which was:
"Cavallo is rubbish, worst player this season by far
What happened to having an amazing season because "he's free" (or whatever he said in all his interviews) this season after coming out? if anything he has regressed".
So, I agree that you didn't say he was crap. Just "rubbish".
Your second line links his coming out with his play.
I was uncomfortable with this so I mentioned it. If you'd written then what you've written in your response I would have been fine with it. And I totally accept that's what you meant. But it's not what you said in that first comment.
As you have pointed out, he was abused at the game yesterday, and in these dangerous times for young, gay sportspeople I think that the way we say things matters.
I hope his play improves too. Last year he was looking the goods. This season he's struggled.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:25 pm

The abuse that Cavallo suffered from the filth fans has now made it to the national media.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:25 pm

Game highlights.
We had the chances.

It's a sad thought but it was only a matter of time before Josh Cavallo was abused somewhere by someone and of course it had to happen at the MV away game.

Find them and educate them.
Banning people just entrenches their view .

I did not realise Isaías' knee was strapped up as it was.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Re: RE: Re: Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby ChillyPhilly Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:32 pm

I'm really unsure about the disallowed goal. There is no way that their goalkeeper could have done anything about Lopez's shot - he would have just stood there and watched it blast into the net, regardless of whether Mauk was on the deck in front of him or not. On the other hand, goalkeepers are a protected species and just a hint of a foul will see the refs blow up for a foul.

All that notwithstanding, I'd be willing to bet that Shaun Evans is a filth fan and hates United, so he went looking for an excuse to chalk it off. The fact that he went straight to the linesman and not wait for a VAR call from the 4th official is highly suspicious.
Shaun Evans is just a shockingly crap referee, and controversy has a knack for following him everywhere.

It was quite the game in the end, even if it took 87 minutes to get there.

Initially I thought disallowing our first goal was the correct decision (offside), but on deeper thought it has exposed a grey area. Kevala would not have reached it regardless of whether Mauk was there or not, and he didn't even make a genuine attempt. Kevala is a shit goalkeeper - thank you Josep Gombau.

Melbourne Victory are legitimately shithouse, and I say that without bias.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”