Veart?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

red wombat
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Veart?

Postby red wombat Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:50 pm

Just how shit is Veart?
I really like the idea that a club legend is our coach.
Hell, I'm even happy that Aloisi is his 2ic (though I fear him coming head coach based on his past record)
I love Ange being our keeper coach and I believe he's been the most effective of the lot.

But Veart. Just how good is he and how upset would we be if he was sacked?
There seem to be a lot of injuries in training. That's not necessarily the fault of the head coach because he's supposed to have a strength and conditioning team behind him. BUT, once again, important players are injured in training and not available for the big games (Goodwin anyone?)

And while I'm no footballing genius, it's becoming noticeable that when subs are made during a game, things do not improve. At best, they're the same, sometimes worse.

Veart's a young coach, but can we afford to let him stumble along learning his craft?
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Veart?

Postby sub007 Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:57 pm

I wouldn’t sack Veart but I wouldn’t complain if he was.

I think he has us playing a decent brand of football and most of our young plays are improving which is great but as we all know his in-game management and team selections are pretty poor.

I think he’d be better off as an assistant but I can’t imagine him agreeing to a demotion.

The other issue is who do we bring in as a replacement and can we really find anyone that’s better?
red wombat

Postby red wombat Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:59 pm

I wouldn’t sack Veart but I wouldn’t complain if he was.
I sort of feel like that, for exactly the reasons you state.

And you know what? That leaves me sad, though possibly because I don't think extra time will change things.
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 pm

I have things I don't like week in, week out; primarily D'Arrigo being played out of what I feel is his natural role and the aversion to playing Marrone. However we play good football at times with a lot of very young players and yielding results that are arguably punching above our weight.

On balance we are having a decent run with him at the helm.

That said, he has to stop staring into the camera and bitterly complaining about the refs at the 70' mark of each match.
red wombat

Postby red wombat Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:31 pm

I have things I don't like week in, week out; primarily D'Arrigo being played out of what I feel is his natural role and the aversion to playing Marrone. However we play good football at times with a lot of very young players and yielding results that are arguably punching above our weight.

On balance we are having a decent run with him at the helm.

That said, he has to stop staring into the camera and bitterly complaining about the refs at the 70' mark of each match.
That's right. He's not a shit coach... but he has 'issues'.

WTF do you do?

In one of the 'big' eastern state clubs, he'd be gone, but that's not our way. And to be honest, I prefer that. BUT, he has to lift his game. Can you hire a 'coach' for the coach?
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:54 am

Have I missed something due of the time difference?

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:00 am

Can’t say I agree with any of the above criticisms.
Interesting timing for this criticism too, after we win our first ever away final against a team that’s never lost a home final, with our best player and our best young player ruled out at the last minute.

Veart is obviously still learning his craft just like some of our inexperienced young players. But Veart’s positives far far far outweigh the criticisms.

I just feel that even if we went on to win the grand final this year some of our posters on here would just say it was papering over the cracks and we should sack him. Load of rubbish.
UnitedPants
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: -

Postby UnitedPants Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:03 am

Have I missed something due of the time difference?

B)
No
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:45 am

In one of the 'big' eastern state clubs, he'd be gone,
Doubt it. WSW have kept coaches but haven't played finals in years, Victory sacked Kurz when they were 5th and it will be probably be a couple of decades before they try that again.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:19 am

I haven't been happy with Veart but don't want to see him booted either, I want him to improve.

I don't like him in press conferences after we lose, that he does not have a plan B, that he seems to have favourites, we are going into every game as an underdog and we can't seem to close out games. We should have pushed for a home final against a 10 man WSW at home and that was disappointing to watch.

In saying all of that, based on our current squad, I think we are probably a mid table team. There are some big holes that you can't blame Carl for and I'd rather see him get better than get the boot.

We've had some good wins, good run of games but we've also been found out and played some poor football tactically at times.
Rojos

Postby Rojos Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:56 am

I wouldn't sack him as I love the local flavour, the only one to replace him might be Tony Vidmar.

He whinges at the refs too much, he subs in strikers regardless of scoreline or who is coming off at the 65-75min mark, Matchday he ain't great.

Saying that, throwing a bunch of money at the next Rini Coolen doesn't solve things either.

I hope he learns from this year and stops the damn complaining to referees next year.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:06 pm

We've sat around the top four most of the season. We've just won a final and made the last four. We've blooded new players and discovered new talent. We've used the experience we have wisely (bar Marrone). It's been exciting and frustrating in parts but a better season to watch than many others.
I'd say that's way past a pass mark. He frustrates me - but what coach hasn't? He's a year and a bit into the job and will hopefully learn and become better. We can't afford the risk of another credentialed failure.
And he's a clubman and a local.
It'll be interesting to see how it all goes without Bruce. Carl doesn't come across as calm and measured. The idea of a mentor is a good one - if he's up for it.
All up, I think he deserves praise and time.
Rojos

Postby Rojos Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:18 pm

In fact further to this it'd be nice to see Carl sent on some professional development courses over the break.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Actually … I like his whinging about the refs. He so often says exactly what I’m thinking. Some of these refs have been shockers. And sometimes he’s looking through his one AUFC red tinted eye. 😁👍
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:22 pm

Hard to believe we've got a "should the coach go" thread when we are one game away from the GF. But there have been murmurings of discontent on here all season pretty much. Along with Otto, I've probably been CV's staunchest defender. I really really want him to succeed.

But it has to be said, there have been some worrying signs and I'm not talking about the questionable subs or the cracks at the ref. I can live with those, put them down to a lack of experience and keep my fingers crossed that he learns from his mistakes. My chief concern is how some of the youngsters have gone backwards, especially the Toure boys. Dropping them to the NPL was obviously a kick up the backside, but it just didn't work. He can't get the best out of Dukuly and even Yengi has an air of "I'm the star now" about him.

One of Carl's biggest ticks last season, if not THE biggest, was his ability to bring through the kids he had nurtured during his youth coaching days. If he loses that midas touch with the youngsters then the other chinks in his armour become much harder to put up with.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”