Veart?

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

flavze
Proud Adelaide United Supporter

Re: Veart?

Postby flavze Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:53 am

This thread... something something Pissants.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:16 am

Hard to believe we've got a "should the coach go" thread when we are one game away from the GF. But there have been murmurings of discontent on here all season pretty much. Along with Otto, I've probably been CV's staunchest defender. I really really want him to succeed.

But it has to be said, there have been some worrying signs and I'm not talking about the questionable subs or the cracks at the ref. I can live with those, put them down to a lack of experience and keep my fingers crossed that he learns from his mistakes. My chief concern is how some of the youngsters have gone backwards, especially the Toure boys. Dropping them to the NPL was obviously a kick up the backside, but it just didn't work. He can't get the best out of Dukuly and even Yengi has an air of "I'm the star now" about him.

One of Carl's biggest ticks last season, if not THE biggest, was his ability to bring through the kids he had nurtured during his youth coaching days. If he loses that midas touch with the youngsters then the other chinks in his armour become much harder to put up with.
I'm putting the kids up and down form this year to the compression of the season. Too many games too quickly exacerbating injuries (which can be a bit of a cycle as injuries to Juric and other senior players forced the kids to play more).
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:49 pm

Have I missed something due of the time difference?

B)
No
That's a relief, I thought I had entered another dimension. :mrgreen:

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Stuckey
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:45 am

We've sat around the top four most of the season. We've just won a final and made the last four. We've blooded new players and discovered new talent. We've used the experience we have wisely (bar Marrone). It's been exciting and frustrating in parts but a better season to watch than many others.
I'd say that's way past a pass mark. He frustrates me - but what coach hasn't? He's a year and a bit into the job and will hopefully learn and become better. We can't afford the risk of another credentialed failure.
And he's a clubman and a local.
It'll be interesting to see how it all goes without Bruce. Carl doesn't come across as calm and measured. The idea of a mentor is a good one - if he's up for it.
All up, I think he deserves praise and time.
Time to Djbate!
Damo

Postby Damo Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Hard to believe we've got a "should the coach go" thread when we are one game away from the GF. But there have been murmurings of discontent on here all season pretty much. Along with Otto, I've probably been CV's staunchest defender. I really really want him to succeed.

But it has to be said, there have been some worrying signs and I'm not talking about the questionable subs or the cracks at the ref. I can live with those, put them down to a lack of experience and keep my fingers crossed that he learns from his mistakes. My chief concern is how some of the youngsters have gone backwards, especially the Toure boys. Dropping them to the NPL was obviously a kick up the backside, but it just didn't work. He can't get the best out of Dukuly and even Yengi has an air of "I'm the star now" about him.

One of Carl's biggest ticks last season, if not THE biggest, was his ability to bring through the kids he had nurtured during his youth coaching days. If he loses that midas touch with the youngsters then the other chinks in his armour become much harder to put up with.
I'm putting the kids up and down form this year to the compression of the season. Too many games too quickly exacerbating injuries (which can be a bit of a cycle as injuries to Juric and other senior players forced the kids to play more).
I too want Carl to succeed but find him a bit frustrating, in that he seems inflexible / reluctant to change when its needed. I agree that our youth development is one of if not the most important aspect for Carl to get right. However im not sure if he is or isn't getting it right though. There have been good and not so good signs:

Yengi - has really come into his own this year and was playing the best weve seen from him. If not for several injuries im convinced he would have kept tommy out of the starting line up for a fair bit there.
Cavallo - has been jettisoned by several other clubs who didn't seem to think he could cut it. In this side Id rate him as one of our best this year.
AH Toure - needs a bit more game time. A few disruptions with injuries.
M Toure - also needs more game time but was looking like he was going to pick up where he left off from the previous season before he did his knee. which was a significant disruption to the season.
Pacific - has looked good when hes had the chance but hard to justify game time on those wings competing with Goody, Halloren and the Toures.
Luigi - has been alright but having to fill the gaps in our midfield isnt doing him any favours.
Dukuly - Im not sure is up to it yet but would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Smith Abetew Yull Cassio Jnr need more development before they're ready for A league
Delianov and Gauci have been great. More Eugene than Carl but i think Gauci will be ahead of Delianov next year, not that weve ever had a shortage of good keepers.

One thing i still cant understand is why we seem to continually pick up all these soft tissue injuries in training/just before games. It seem systemic in Adelaide teams over the years and i dont see it as much in other teams. it always seems as though just as the teams finding some consistency we lose one or two players to injury. trainers, training load, recovery, training pitches? I dont know but wouldnt mind if Carl could sort that out.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:13 pm

**blows dust off this thread**

Hopefully we don't have to use it but it seems inevitable the further we get into the season.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Kossie MkII imo - passionate, decent enough coach but just doesn't seem to have the ability to get that little bit extra out of his charges (or so it seems at this stage - hopefully I'm proven wrong).
A team full of stars can always pull something out of their hat, but an average side (which is what we are, save for a couple of v good players) needs to be better than the sum of their parts to achieve something.
It's not impossible in the A-League, someone like Ange could build a team and get buy-in to play a system. Same with Gombau, here. Seems like Adelaide at the moment don't believe they can be better, or have a model that they're working towards.
Which is weird because I would have said the opposite after the first couple of rounds, when there were some good signs..
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”