Preview: AUFC v Sydney 29.05

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Preview: AUFC v Sydney 29.05

Postby sub007 Fri May 28, 2021 1:04 pm

Adelaide United squad: 1.James DELIANOV (gk), 2.Michael MARRONE, 3.George TIMOTHEOU, 4.Ryan STRAIN, 6.Louis D’ARRIGO, 7.Ryan KITTO, 8.Stefan MAUK (c), 11.Craig GOODWIN, 18.Joe CALETTI, 19.Yaya DUKULY, 21.Javi LÓPEZ, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Jordan ELSEY, 24.Pacifique NIYONGABIRE, 26.Ben HALLORAN, 27.Josh CAVALLO, 31.BERNARDO, 33.Dakota OCHSENHAM (gk), 35.Al Hassan TOURE, 37.Jonny YULL
**2-4 to be omitted**

Ins: 3.George TIMOTHEOU (promoted), 31.BERNARDO (promoted), 35.Al Hassan TOURE (promoted), 37.Jonny YULL (promoted)
Outs: 28.JUANDE (hamstring), 29.Kusini YENGI (hamstring)
Unavailable: 9.Tomi JURIC (calf), 16.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS (knee), 46.Joe GAUCI (quadricep)

Bernardo!
Anybody know what position Cassio junior plays?
Attacking midfielder I believe.
milan_7
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: McGree

Postby milan_7 Fri May 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Cool to see Bernardo in the squad, even if he probably won't be in the actual side - the big news for me is no Mo Toure. I know he has been poor since he has come back from injury but I can't believe he is now below Dukuly in the pecking order, who I genuinely believe is in the top 5 worst ever players to play at this club.

I would go:

Delianov
Strain-Elsey-Jakobsen-Cavallo
Lopez
Mauk-D'Arrigo
Halloran-A. Toure-Goodwin

Bench: Ochsenham, Marrone, Timotheou, Caletti, Bernardo, Kitto, Niyongabire
Reds United
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Marcelo Carrusca

Postby Reds United Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 pm

Bernado (Son of Cassio) is an attacking midfielder. It will be interesting if he gets on to the park as a substitute. Juande copping a hamstring strain is a blow as he really steadies that midfield. We should put Lopez there and not at full back. Kitto has the pace to cope with speedy Sydney player Barbarouses. Lopez does not despite his defensive quality. Kitto has been playing well at5 left back lately. What is the story behind Mo Toure's omission from the squad altogether. He isn't listed as injured. Surely he should be on the bench. Is it a disciplinary move by Veart? Has something happened off the field to warrant this?
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri May 28, 2021 10:13 pm

I can't believe he is now below Dukuly in the pecking order, who I genuinely believe is in the top 5 worst ever players to play at this club.
Oh come on! Dukuly didn't knock us off our feet but he wasn't horrid.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Fri May 28, 2021 11:24 pm

I can't believe he is now below Dukuly in the pecking order, who I genuinely believe is in the top 5 worst ever players to play at this club.
Yes he was.

I feel sorry for him a bit though, thrown into the deep end when he wasn't close to being ready.

I feel more sorry for Costanzo though who has to go on trial to at Newcastle because he can't get a look in while Dukuly gets chance after chance despite never actually performing.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Preview: AUFC v Sydney 29.05

Postby EdDog Sat May 29, 2021 4:26 am

He was hopeless when he came on against Victory. Looked like he'd played 90 minutes when he was fresh off the bench. Just doesn't have the mettle at A-League level. He must kill it at training or his dad must be old mates with Carl.
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Re: RE: Re: Preview: AUFC v Sydney 29.05

Postby MartinAUFC Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 pm

He was hopeless when he came on against Victory. Looked like he'd played 90 minutes when he was fresh off the bench. Just doesn't have the mettle at A-League level. He must kill it at training or his dad must be old mates with Carl.

Top 5 worst ever players though ? That's some hefty competition right there - step forward Adam Hughes, someone is trying to take your crown :D
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Sat May 29, 2021 2:56 pm

This has been such an interesting and unpredictable year. Even making the finals, with an untried coach and so many new and young players, is a significant achievement. We could easily have been in the bottom two all season based on the struggles we have had to face with uncertain line-ups, injuries and inexperience. But, instead, it's been one of the most exciting seasons to be an AU fan. Veart frustrates the hell out of me from time to time - especially in late game management - but credit where credit is due. He's helping shape the future of the club as well as holding his own in a league where there is a lot of media interest - and money - in clubs that are not us!

We might well beat Sydney tomorrow. Who the hell can predict what the boys will dish up? We might lose the next two and just scrape into the finals. Wherever we finish, the volatility (and talent) of this team means that we could either go out first week or lift the Toilet Seat. It's not been boring.

The biggest sadness of this season - for me - is that the peripheral fans have deserted us (and every team). Hindmarsh should be full to watch the lads tomorrow night. It's good football in a great stadium with a local team. And it's not as if there are no football fans in SA. One day, I hope, the penny will drop and people who love football will finally realise that the REDS are genuinely worth supporting. It's tragic that real football people let prejudice (of many kinds) get in the way of making AU the celebrated pinnacle of SA soccer.

Whatever! I'll be there again with my boys and my mates, drinking crap beer and ignorantly analysing the game from the stands. Hoping for many opportunities to leap out of my seat and scream manically about yet another Adelaide goal.

Great post JD. You've summed the season up perfectly there - exciting, unpredictable and sometimes frustrating. Hopefully the young guns can mature and find that elusive consistency, and Carl can learn from his mistakes and develop into a top A-League coach.

And yes, it's nothing short of a tragedy that the crowds have dwindled when the team are so deserving of their support. There was a time when a home game v Sydney with finals placing on the line would have pulled a five figure crowd. We'll be lucky to get half that on tonight.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sat May 29, 2021 6:26 pm

I’d like to think we’ll get at least 7k. Big game.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Sat May 29, 2021 6:33 pm

I’d like to think we’ll get at least 7k. Big game.

Well they'd better get a move on, ten minutes to kick off and I reckon there's around 3,000 in here.
The atmosphere won't be helped by the missing Red Army members that were in Melbourne last week either.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat May 29, 2021 7:08 pm

Decent crowd in the end.

Haven’t seen us so completely dominated in a long time.
Doesn’t help when the ref gives every decision to Sydney.
otto62

Postby otto62 Sat May 29, 2021 7:27 pm

Good thing is it’s only 0-1. Could easily be 3 goals down.
This ref is shocking.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat May 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Worst 1st half I’ve seen in a while, Kitto back to shite, no chemistry between the team, long balls to Toure. Ref is shite too.
So far it’s been a schizenfest & there is no Mexican food van at the ground 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sat May 29, 2021 7:38 pm

Ref is Daniel Elder. A local lad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down