Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

AndyJebiga
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby AndyJebiga Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 pm

We are creating solid chances (just need to be more clinical) if we weren't I would be worried. Clean sheet as well is positive, timo had a Good game for a change (especially with all the grief I've given him this year lol
Last edited by AndyJebiga on Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Re: Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby otto62 Fri May 07, 2021 9:04 pm

Just to bring a little sunshine onto this rainy parade, with every other team up the top also stringing together a stack of draws .... that 0-0 just moved us to second on the ladder. 🙂
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Perhaps we should start with 10 men.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby sub007 Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 pm

We are creating solid chances (just need to be more clinical) if we weren't I would be worried. Clean sheet as well is positive, timo had a Good game for a change (especially with all the grief I've given him this year lol
We didn't until we went down to 10 so I am worried. We only seem to be able to create chances from the wings and our crossing is terrible at the minute.
ChillyPhilly
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Allllllll of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: 'Adelaide, I love you!'

Postby ChillyPhilly Fri May 07, 2021 10:10 pm

Dour.

We are wasting opportunities and points.
Adelaide United FC: our club, our city, our state.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri May 07, 2021 10:16 pm

So.....
A draw and we're second (as mentioned above) goes to show how tight the league is and how good it was to have that string of wins.
Carl seems to have left the stadium and replaced himself with a cardboard cut-out - at least a tactical cardboard cut-out. Let's just keep doing the same thing....
Tomi is looking more and more useless. Yengi created more in 20 mins than Tomi did all game. Give him more time! (let me qualify this....Tomi is class and he holds the ball well and makes clever passes - when he gets it. He just doesn't get the service or have the speed to get it often enough. I'd just rather see them swap starting positions and sub one off for the other at about 60 - not 75.)
Halloran had a blinder.
Goodwin can't cross anymore. But remains one of our best, even out of form.
Strain created the great comic moment of the game by going on a brilliant run then...well, hard to know what he did at the end but it was very, very funny. Or would have been if we hadn't actually needed to score.
Mauk ran around a lot. Got subbed again. Is now angry. Should have been replaced by Toure at about 55 mins. Toure is actually creative.
Midfield not really very good.
Elsey and Timo have good games. Yes...both of them. Timo actually very good tonight. (Did I say that?!)
Gauci good again.
Referee amusing but 1000000% better than Beath.
Sail was MOTM.

The best that could be said is that it was better than last week. Big week coming up with MelbC and Brisbane to beat.
Last edited by Jessesdad on Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Fri May 07, 2021 11:02 pm

Much if what has been written above is fair enough - and I can certainly understand the frustration - but I don't think that we should either be too upset or start calling for heads to roll. Wellingong is a good side; very well coached, compact and very well drilled. For the first time in their short-ish history, they have a coach who knows how he wants his team to play and can impart exactly what he wants to his players. You can see how well each player knows his place in the Talay system. All they lack are a true #9 and the chance to play at home. I suspect that they will be a top four side next season, once the COVID nonsense recedes.

For us, it was yet again a case of what might have been. We are a true top four side; possibly even top two. The lack of wins over the past month can be put down to some unfortunate injuries to key players and for the amount of kids we have in our front line. (Neither of the Toures have even finished Year 12 yet, for instance). Yengi had 2 golden chances for tap ins for other players - it might have been Mauk both times - and instead he jinked and prevaricated and wobbled and then fluffed the chances. In a year's time, he will see the free player, pass first time and we have a tap in. Let's not dwell on the missed chances, but rejoice in unearthing a really exciting youngster.

Strain was amongst our best again, as he always is. It was a shame that he was sent off, but at least he was providing the mongrel that I was calling for before the game.

It's a toss up whether Ben Halloran or Cavallo were the MOTM. Both were a class above their Wellingong opponents, anyway.

Alireza Farghani - and I have probably mis-spelt that - is the best ref in the league. He allows play to go on for minor stuff, pulls players aside when they have gone too far and then will not hesitate to book players for dissent. More of it, please - as opposed to Beath having his 10 minutes of madness every match when it seems like he applies rules that only he knows about.

I'm astonished by the criticism of Goodwin. He was doing exactly what CV told him to do - get the crosses either on the penalty spot, or between the penalty spot and the 18 yard line, allowing the #9 or the AM to run on to them. If the #9 is MIA - and let us all look significantly at TJ at this point - then that is hardly Goodwin's fault. Mauk was doing his bit in that tactic, so why can't Tomi?

So we should not be too disheartened. We came up against a very good side who are defensively very strong and yet we could easily have won 3 or 4 nil, with just the slightest sprinkle of luck coming our way. So it did not fall our way tonight; but the next few weeks are looking very interesting indeed. All luck turns eventually and we have a good, strong, sharp, very potent side that the other sides genuinely fear. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture, in the midst of these frustrating draws.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat May 08, 2021 12:22 am

Carl speaks after the match.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat May 08, 2021 10:19 am

Another meh kinda of game, Nix are a good team though. We seem to struggle against Nix in general tbh, but thought we looked too predictable until Yengi/Toure came on.
Juric looks dangerous but is too slow and not involved enough, Mauk looks like he has run out of puff, D'Arrigo has been average most of the season. Strain has a tendency to let his frustrations bubble over and needs to cut that out.

For me Halloran looked our best attacking threat and has been the most consistent and I liked Cavallo and Thimotheu's games also.
CV has shown to be rather rigid as a match day coach and yet agin felt we needed fresh ideas on the field a lot sooner than they were made. The lack of an AM shows in the squad and epecially in the tight games like these, we simply dont have that creativity in the team and it will likely be the difference come finals time (assuming we make them which is definitely not definite).

AU do have a tendancy to drop off about this time of the season, so will be interesting if it meanders to nowhere or the team gets there mojo back. But watching Roar, WU, Nix etc. of late, it wont be easy especially if CV only plays one way, wont make changes and others have worked us out.
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat May 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Our slump coincided with me beginning to believe the hype on this team. I sincerely apologise for this!

Seriously though, I think we're just not equipped to handle teams that like to defend compactly and hit on the counter. We just happened to come across the main two teams that play this way (Macarthur too but I think we got them at a good time). It's been the most enjoyable season for me in a long time but we're lacking in a couple of areas to be title challengers. Hopefully the entertaining football is back next week.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sat May 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Our slump coincided with me beginning to believe the hype on this team. I sincerely apologise for this!

Seriously though, I think we're just not equipped to handle teams that like to defend compactly and hit on the counter. We just happened to come across the main two teams that play this way (Macarthur too but I think we got them at a good time). It's been the most enjoyable season for me in a long time but we're lacking in a couple of areas to be title challengers. Hopefully the entertaining football is back next week.
I reckon that we are just one season off being a truly great side. The kids are coming along really well. Once we can get Jacko in the back four, directing traffic again, the backline will be sorted. The frontline is brimming with power and promise; the real problem is (as we all know) the midfield. As I said before, Mauk has to impsoe himself on the opposition midfield, regardless of who we play, so that they don't bully D'Arrigo and Cavallo off the ball.

On that point - if what Cornflakes said is true, that Cavallo has signed for another 2 years, then that is wonderful news. Something that I had not realised from watching telecasts, but which was obvious live, is just how fast he is; he is our fastest player since Mileusnic.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
mcjules
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Sat May 08, 2021 8:45 pm

I reckon that we are just one season off being a truly great side. The kids are coming along really well. Once we can get Jacko in the back four, directing traffic again, the backline will be sorted. The frontline is brimming with power and promise; the real problem is (as we all know) the midfield. As I said before, Mauk has to impsoe himself on the opposition midfield, regardless of who we play, so that they don't bully D'Arrigo and Cavallo off the ball.

On that point - if what Cornflakes said is true, that Cavallo has signed for another 2 years, then that is wonderful news. Something that I had not realised from watching telecasts, but which was obvious live, is just how fast he is; he is our fastest player since Mileusnic.
It's possible, I can see us losing a couple but we could actually afford to lose some of our wingers. Whether the ones struggling to get game time can step up to the same level is always the question but I'm confident they can do a job.

Midfield is definitely the weakness, Juande has helped steady us a bit but I think we can do better than him... that or we've been spoiled by Isaias for so many years!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”