Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Jessesdad Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:01 pm

Carl needs the rollicking. No fucking ideas other than run down the side, pass it back and forth then cross it into a crowded box. Apart from the woeful quality of the crosses (what has happened to Goodwin!!!???) we didn't have a header on target all night. Hardly had a shot. WU should have won that. It was marginally off but we would have screamed about it if it was us.
Ball to feet to the young strikers! That's how they've grown up. Makes the defence tackle or back off. Always a chance of a penalty.
Sigh.....the most frustrating game.
Refereeing as brilliant as always from Mr.Look-At-Me!
But Timotheou managed not to give the game away this week.
Should have stayed home and watched.
mcjules
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bruce Djite

Postby mcjules Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Easily the worst game of the season from a spectacle point of view. Hopefully next week is better.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Did I imagine it, or did Carl say the players didn’t play to his instructions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:06 pm

Thought CV got the substitutions right and made the first change nice and early like we’ve been asking for.
Bringing Yengi on at half time completely changed the shape (so I disagree with the comment above).
Bringing D’Arrigo off was also the smart move, not just because he was on a yellow, but also because we didn’t need his defensive work and WU had already targeted him with a very late tackle after Sanchez was sent off.

Both their goals correctly disallowed and the commentary on both was shockingly biased. Every time that’s a handball at every level of football. And VAR is VAR, either use it and accept it or don’t, but if it was Adelaide they’d just say it was close but correctly ruled offside.

Our finishing wasn’t good enough once again. Goodwin’s shot first half at the near post & Mauk’s shot into the side netting should both have been on target (not enough pressure to force the error).
Goodwin really off the boil in the past few games.

Still, I enjoyed the game and very happy we can actually have a crowd attending. 🙂👍
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby bpowell454 Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 pm

Thought CV got the substitutions right and made the first change nice and early like we’ve been asking for.
Bringing Yengi on at half time completely changed the shape (so I disagree with the comment above).
Bringing D’Arrigo off was also the smart move, not just because he was on a yellow, but also because we didn’t need his defensive work and WU had already targeted him with a very late tackle after Sanchez was sent off.

Both their goals correctly disallowed and the commentary on both was shockingly biased. Every time that’s a handball at every level of football. And VAR is VAR, either use it and accept it or don’t, but if it was Adelaide they’d just say it was close but correctly ruled offside.

Our finishing wasn’t good enough once again. Goodwin’s shot first half at the near post & Mauk’s shot into the side netting should both have been on target (not enough pressure to force the error).
Goodwin really off the boil in the past few games.

Still, I enjoyed the game and very happy we can actually have a crowd attending.
Actually, looking back now, I didn't mind the D'arrigo for Yengi sub, the intent was there. The other subs didn't offer an improvement on what we were already doing.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Sat May 01, 2021 8:04 am

It is always very tough when a team plays 10 behind the ball. The usual space and runs dissapear. I have always believed its a disadvantage to both team when there is an early red and scores are level.
The kids are still looking good.
We can still make the top 6 amd then its down to what happens on the day. Either way, mcfc look a class above us all.
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am

Rudan has outdone Veart here and really WU deserved a win.

Even when the Toure's came on, we'd push 4 strikers flat up against their back 4. No shape, no linking up, no playing between the banks of 4.

Really disappointed nobody dropped in front of Juric and later Yengi to unlock their defence.
Absolutely spot on. No depth in attacking shape, just a flat front 4 all pressing at once. Dumb football.

No way that goal should have been ruled out, benefit of the doubt to the attacking team in that situation. VAR out - game's gone.

Also, just want to highlight the dreadful goalline clearance effort by Timotheou - if he'd just attacked the ball with his right foot it would not have gone in and the VAR/offside discussion would be redundant. Instead, he ran around the ball so he could try to use his left foot, and let it trickle over the line. Nowhere near enough urgency there.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby bpowell454 Sat May 01, 2021 10:28 am

Rudan has outdone Veart here and really WU deserved a win.

Even when the Toure's came on, we'd push 4 strikers flat up against their back 4. No shape, no linking up, no playing between the banks of 4.

Really disappointed nobody dropped in front of Juric and later Yengi to unlock their defence.
Absolutely spot on. No depth in attacking shape, just a flat front 4 all pressing at once. Dumb football.

No way that goal should have been ruled out, benefit of the doubt to the attacking team in that situation. VAR out - game's gone.

Also, just want to highlight the dreadful goalline clearance effort by Timotheou - if he'd just attacked the ball with his right foot it would not have gone in and the VAR/offside discussion would be redundant. Instead, he ran around the ball so he could try to use his left foot, and let it trickle over the line. Nowhere near enough urgency there.
I was screaming the same thing at the game. Why Timotheou didn't just clear with his right foot blows my mind. A few seconds before that he seemed to give up on his run as well, like he thought he wasn't going to get there so he stopped running. Finding it really hard to find positives in his game.

As far as the offside goes, there should be no interpretation in it, its either off or on, as long as it is consistent it's fine with me. I hate seeing it come down to millimetres but it is what it is, if they start letting some things go then where does it end.
Philbyramone

Re: Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Philbyramone Sat May 01, 2021 11:16 am

Fox Commentary Bias Priority list:
Sydney
Wanderers
Victory
City
MacArthur
Mariners
Jets
WU
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
Nix

Actually it’s mostly Harper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat May 01, 2021 5:49 pm

Carl Veart talks post match.

and the " highlights " ...

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sun May 02, 2021 10:19 am

Yes it was a very frustrating game for so many reasons, not all of them within our control. I'll go against the grain and say that I thought the VAR got the offside call dead right. If we use the system and the system gives us an answer, then we can hardly complain if the answer is not what we expected.

The Fox commentators are getting more and more biased every week, to the extent that I turned the commentary off and only turned it back on when Bozza was speaking. He is the only one who is not reflexively anti-Adelaide. The criterion for any commentator ought to be "can I tell which team s/he supports?" and I'm not sure that I can with Bozza; it does seem like he genuinely likes to see fast, flowing, quality football and is enthusiastic about whichever team can play that way. Every time that Adam Peacock asks a question, I want to yell "shut up!" at him, because he asks the same question four different ways and then gives the answer that he expects to hear from his interviewee, leaving the interviewee bewildered and with nowhere to go. Robbie Slater should just wear his Sydney FC shirt everywhere; no point him even pretending to be interested in the other teams. The less said about Ben Homer, the better; how he ever got a gig in the first place defies rational explanation.

As to us - I;m actually not too upset. We deserved a draw; we were in terrifyingly good form in the first half and, once again, should have been up by 2 or 3 at the half. That we didn't put any away was the outcome of our forwards and wingers being too hesitant and the WU defence being desperate to the point of recklessness. On another night, it would have been 2 - 2.

Goodwin was patchy, but he can't be expected to carry the whole team, week in, week out. He is still the best LW in the country, by a mile.

Strain will be a Socceroo within 2 years.

Halloran is almost another Goody on the RW, but his crossing was curiously off in this match.

Bringing on Yengi and the Toures relatively early was inspired and, but for WU parking all 10 men behind the ball for the entire second half, would have worked. Rudan was content to let us do all the attacking, sit back and absorb the pressure and hit us on the counter, which nearly worked. Not really in the spirit of the game, but WU is a makeshift team at best and he has to work with the tools at his disposal.

When Jacko comes back for Timotheou, we will all breathe a sigh of relief. Is he the slowest player in the league? Apart from being slow, he just does not look fit enough.

I can still see us finishing top two, if a couple of other matches and some good old fashioned luck fall our way, but I suspect that fourth or fifth are more likely. The away match against MC Petrodollars in a couple of weeks will be fascinating; if we can pull that one off, maybe even the Fox commentators will start respecting us.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
Philbyramone

Re: Adelaide United v Western United Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby Philbyramone Sun May 02, 2021 1:22 pm

WU is weird. Crap colors, a stalker for a coach, no real identity, 4 different home grounds, do they have a supporter base even?

But then they have aging legends like Durante and Berisha, who you have to respect, and Diamanté is my favorite non AUFC player to watch. He really is quite special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Sun May 02, 2021 10:34 pm

Agree on Diamanté. Absolute class as a player.

Regarding Timotheou and his inability to clear the “goal” off the line .... I thought the same on first viewing that he should have just cleared with his right, but when I looked at it again I don’t think he was ever close enough to reach it. Also, Timotheou is the least at fault for that “goal”, it had to get past the entire rest of the team before it beat him. He looked slow a few times, but IMO there were no big mistakes from him this game.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”