Preview: Melbourne Victory - Adelaide United 13.03.31

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Preview: Melbourne Victory - Adelaide United 13.03.31

Postby sub007 Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:16 pm

Mo out for 6-8 weeks according to Cornflakes.
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Its nice to see victory struggle, though I cant help but notice how fickle we are as fans.

Only a few weeks ago the overall feeling was the manager had no clue and our players are barely league standard with the owners living in La la land unwilling to pay for talent.
Tbh I lot of the criticism at the time was justified. The few experienced players we had we put injured with the exception of Elsey and Halloran which left us with every young starting XI and some of the players in the team shouldn’t have been anywhere near the starting XI especially as we had better, fully fit alternatives who weren’t playing. Veart’s tactics have been questionable as well and has been outsmarted in numerous occasions already.

The club and Bruce however deserves a lot of credit for bringing in two experienced players in positions that need strengthening in Goodwin and Juande. When this so combined with the likes of Strain, Lopez, Mauk and Jakobsen coming back from injury, our starting XI looks so much stronger.

In summary Bruce, the owners and the medical staff deserve a lot of credit for turning things around but I can’t say I’m overly impressed with Veart’s performance as manager so there’s definitely some positives and some negatives there.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Craig Goodwin talks to the media.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Its nice to see victory struggle, though I cant help but notice how fickle we are as fans.

Only a few weeks ago the overall feeling was the manager had no clue and our players are barely league standard with the owners living in La la land unwilling to pay for talent.
Tbh I lot of the criticism at the time was justified. The few experienced players we had we put injured with the exception of Elsey and Halloran which left us with every young starting XI and some of the players in the team shouldn’t have been anywhere near the starting XI especially as we had better, fully fit alternatives who weren’t playing. Veart’s tactics have been questionable as well and has been outsmarted in numerous occasions already.

The club and Bruce however deserves a lot of credit for bringing in two experienced players in positions that need strengthening in Goodwin and Juande. When this so combined with the likes of Strain, Lopez, Mauk and Jakobsen coming back from injury, our starting XI looks so much stronger.

In summary Bruce, the owners and the medical staff deserve a lot of credit for turning things around but I can’t say I’m overly impressed with Veart’s performance as manager so there’s definitely some positives and some negatives there.

So just to clarify, are you saying that 3 wins on the bounce have had nothing to do with the coach ?
That all the credit goes to the backroom staff for giving him better players, and all he had to do was spell their names correctly on the team sheet ?

Let's be realistic shall we ? Carl Veart is basically a rookie coach at this level. He's going to make mistakes, an obvious one so far perhaps being an over reliance on youth. Not surprising based on his background in coaching. As long as he learns and develops, in the same way we hope his young charges do, then that's all we can ask surely ?
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:15 pm

Craig Goodwin talks to the media.

B)
Flawless interview, Captain material.

What a shame he won't be hanging around long enough :(
sub007

Postby sub007 Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:25 pm

So just to clarify, are you saying that 3 wins on the bounce have had nothing to do with the coach ?
That all the credit goes to the backroom staff for giving him better players, and all he had to do was spell their names correctly on the team sheet ?

Let's be realistic shall we ? Carl Veart is basically a rookie coach at this level. He's going to make mistakes, an obvious one so far perhaps being an over reliance on youth. Not surprising based on his background in coaching. As long as he learns and develops, in the same way we hope his young charges do, then that's all we can ask surely ?
Yes I am. Literally nothing has been different except for the team selection and player availability and we were very fortunate to win 2 of those 3 games.

I agree that Carl has made mistakes and he will hopefully learn from those. Time will tell whether he has or not.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Preview: Melbourne Victory - Adelaide United 13.03.31

Postby EdDog Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:37 pm

Yes I am. Literally nothing has been different except for the team selection and player availability and we were very fortunate to win 2 of those 3 games.

I agree that Carl has made mistakes and he will hopefully learn from those. Time will tell whether he has or not.
Tend to agree. Right now the squad picks itself but when we were in that hole and needed some quality to lift us out of it I think Veart's team selections left a lot to be desired.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:45 pm

I felt like most here that we were seeing too much of Dukuly, Abetew and piano man. It's no coincidence in the last 3 weeks we've seen less of them and a return of some experience and results have lifted.

Saying that, I don't think we've been too crash hot. CCM was a swindle, WSW could have gone either way and Newcastle will probably be spooners. Goodwin has carried the side in the last two outings imo.

Still, should be going for all 3 points against the filth.
shinAUFC

Postby shinAUFC Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 pm

I cant help but notice how fickle we are as fans.
Nice pick up. Anyone would think this was a football forum, the way we swing about. :shock:
Ha! Fair call!

I like to think we here at watrs hold ourselves to a higher standard though.

On a serious note, if it were not for robbie kruse it would be hard to dislike victory in the same way as the muscat / archie years. Hopefully a new villain steps up.
Ppl who slap the label of truth on the 1st thing they hear, do it out of ignorance, convenience or cant be bothered picking through a thin layer of falsehood to find the real truth, or possibly even another lie
The voice in our head is the final judge
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Preview: Melbourne Victory - Adelaide United 13.03.31

Postby bpowell454 Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Tend to agree. Right now the squad picks itself but when we were in that hole and needed some quality to lift us out of it I think Veart's team selections left a lot to be desired.
FWIW, I'm in the same boat, not overly convinced with CV but a few wins in a row helps.

Things like- Marrone can't get a game but at one stage I remember we had Juric, Yengi, AH Toure and Mo Toure all on the field at the same time. 4 strikers can't do anything about an inexperienced defence.

Strain, Jako and Lopez getting fit and Goodwin coming in has had a massive impact, we actually look solid now instead of shaky.

Players like D'Arrigo were struggling with no experience around him, now he's looking a lot better. Chucking the kids in the deep end all at once with no experience around them to help was not pretty to watch over and over again.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:07 pm

Funny game isn’t it. Win our next game and we could be clear second (depending on results). But apparently the coach has no idea?
EdDog

Postby EdDog Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:41 am

Funny game isn’t it. Win our next game and we could be clear second (depending on results). But apparently the coach has no idea?
Questioning team selection and the apparent freezing out of some experienced long term servants of the club is a far cry from saying the coach has no idea.

He's obviously capable as he wouldn't have got the gig otherwise.

Only natural for us to have criticisms and express them.
MartinAUFC

Postby MartinAUFC Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:06 am

Questioning team selection and the apparent freezing out of some experienced long term servants of the club is a far cry from saying the coach has no idea.

He's obviously capable as he wouldn't have got the gig otherwise.

Only natural for us to have criticisms and express them.

Nothing wrong with some constructive criticism, and some of it is quite valid. Persisting with Dukuly, Abetew at RB, Marrone in the doghouse - all things that have had me scratching my head for sure.
But to suggest that after three consecutive wins that the coach had nothing to do with it and it's just a result of better players being available is an extremely simplistic point of view.
We were fortunate to beat CCM, the WSW game was a classic smash and grab with some great counter attacking football and the Jets are obviously a below average outfit. But to turn things around after a bad run takes more than just slotting some new and returning names on to the team sheet. This isn't FIFA.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 pm

Fitness report.

Super Nathan!

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:59 am

Looks like we won't be seeing Rojas at Coopers; cracked fibula.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”