Adelaide United v Newcastle Jets Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

The Claw
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Re: Adelaide United v Newcastle Jets Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby The Claw Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Went to the game and it was a Good win

Mauk really disappoints me, his demeanour and diving is not good enough as Captain. That dive at end was embarrassing.

Otherwise defence is pretty lax at times and prone to creating unnecessary pressure, lax at pressing the opposition strikers too as you saw on goal 1.
For me we need to move the ball quicker when going forward, a number 10 is sorely missing.

Anyway 3 in a row with a bit of luck is pretty good
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:23 pm

The only reason I'd bench Delianov would be if he asked to be benched. That lad has saved our season so many times already. A brilliant replacement for Izzo. Having Jako, Goodwin, Lopez, Halloran and Strain on the field makes us look like a genuine A-League winning team. Experience and the injection of youth....brilliant.
Tonight showed some glimpses of that 'killer ball 'play we once enjoyed regularly. Not the finished product but the ingredients for a very enjoyable season are on the table.
Such bad luck for Mo but at 16, he has a little time left in his career. :)
Last edited by Jessesdad on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sub007
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Postby sub007 Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm

I'm happy with the performance. We were well on top for a majority of the game and maybe could have won by more on another day.

Strain looked like he hasn't missed a beat and surely has to be a shoe in for the Olyroos.

Really disappointed with Mauk's dive and once again his demeanour is poor. He's not fit to be captain.
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:58 pm

A good, solid win and we should probably have won by more. Goodwin was the best on ground and a class above everyone else. He looked tons better once CV swapped him and Halloran; they started as inverted wingers, but once they each went to their 'correct' side, we looked much more threatening out wide.

Someone needs to sit Mauk down and tell him that the whole country can see though his diving. It's hurting us now; Goodwin had at least one clear penalty waved away and it's hard not to think that Mauk's histrionics is making the refs wary of giving us genuine penalties. (And yes, I am fully aware of what happened against CCM).

Mo Toure's hammy going was unfortunate, but the kid is still growing. Both he and Al Hasan will mature into weapons for us; it may take 2 - 3 seasons, but their father is keeping them grounded - and here, not allowing them to go overseas too soon. (Let's all look significantly at Riley McGree at this point).

What a difference having Jacko and Strain back made to our back line. Suddenly we looked like the solid and sure backline of old. Lopez is a real find; he can play anywhere and there were moments in tonight's match when you could see what 200+ matches in La Liga does for a player; there were times when he ran rings around the Jest players and he made fooling them look routine - which, for him, it was. Our improving midfield - praise the Lord - also helped the backline immensely, because the waves of attacks that were getting though in the past 6 weeks were largely stopped. D'Arrigo had his best game ever for us; he is finally learning to dominate his patch of turf and impose himself on the game. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think he is still only 19?

I think Cavallo (sp?) will be a real find too. He has energy and pace and can spin on a sixpence.

Calletti had his best game for us and he and D'Arrigo finally imposing themselves had a lot to do with our ownership of the midfield, which the Jest largely abandoned to us. Strange tactic - and it didn't work.

Overall, I would give us a B+. We have improved every week now for the past month and the results are coming.

The filth next week must be more than a little uneasy at the prospect of playing us.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
blahblah
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:12 pm

An interesting game. One we dominated, though not surprising given the Jets were sitting deep and looking to hit on the counter.

Great return from injury from both Strain and Jakobsen. The Jets sitting deep afforded Strain a lot of space which was nice of them given he was coming back from an injury. You can't claim those Hunter Valley folk 'aint downright courteous.

Elsey had his best game in a while and I wonder if having the Dane on-field assisted.

Delianov let one through he shouldn't have, but that's the goal-keeper's curse; you can't afford one mistake.

Al Hussein kept coming towards the ball whilst on top of the box, meaning he closed the dostince and regularly had his back to goal. He's a strong lad and perhaps that was part of the plan though I didn't see him hold up a couple of defenders whilst laying off the ball to an onrushing attacking mid ala Viduka so will put it down to youthful exuberance. Something that he needs to work on (either holding up defenders or running into space).

Great to see D'Arrigo score a beauty, though I still prefer him as a defensive-mid. From his comments at half-time it appears Carl doesn't agree.

Goody; don't understand how the Saudi's let him go. Oh well, their loss.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:04 am

Carl Veart post -match

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”