Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby sub007 Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:23 pm

Elsey is absolutely rubbish, we cant keep excusing his performances. Several of our goals have been directly with his involvment. It's time to drop him and play one of our youth team centrebacks
We have been in Abetew and he's not A League standard.

Start Timotheou and Jakobsen when he's back fit.
Need a right footed centreback. Once strain is fit, abatew needs to replace elsey! Abatew is a natural centre back not a right back!!
I know he's a centre back but he's not A-League standard based on what I've seen.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby AndyJebiga Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:31 pm

And elsey is? Elseys been a great servent to the club over the years, but has regressed badly this season

I'm not exaggerating when I say the majority of goals we've conceded this year are from his mistakes individually or switching off .

I love the fact he's a local but sometimes you gotta use your head and not your heart. It's time for a change in our cb pairing
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Jessesdad Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:07 pm

Well folks, you're a morbid lot.
I actually went to the game and it was f'in brilliant at the ground.
Questions remain:
1. Why does Dukaly start?
2. Are our centre-backs all contracted to make one massive mistake a game. Elsey for the first was....um...? Timotheou for the second. Wow...

First pen was marginal but there. After that they were clear-cut. We controlled a lot of play. CCM were good but not great. Barring Kuol who is simply scary. Tomi deserved the goals after being hacked for weeks with no protection and recieving bugger all service or support. Lopez looked very good.

We're way from the finished product but credit to Carl and the team for lifting from the absolute gloom of the last game and knocking the ladder toppers down. Don't know what else we could ask for, given the circumsatnces. If you're not happy with that then you're not happy.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:39 pm

Hang on to your hats!
:D

" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:42 pm

If we're positive:
- Maybe the gritty win against the odds we need to kick start the season, gain some confidence
- Mauk isn't everyone's cup of tea but he and Juric have a winners mentality
- Smith was solid, D'Arrigo building form
- Lopez got through a game

If we're honest:
- Shouldn't have won, barely deserved one penalty let-a-lone 3
- Still fundamental flaws in our game, CB's switch off, can't control the middle of the park
- Juric regularly isolated
- Marrone frozen out again
- Dukuly not justifying his golden pass
blahblah
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: the kit bag guy
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Bound for South Australia

Postby blahblah Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm

1. Why does Dukaly start?
Not sure. Niyongabire seems to offer more in the sense he brings more players into the game and defends high up the park. Dukuly has potential however shouldn't be commanding a starting berth on current performances.

I was quite pleased with the leadership D'Arrigo showed on the park; quick to congratulate or console players throughout the game (well, the second half at least - I missed the first!).
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 pm

Most undeserved 3 points we'll ever get.
It's so true.

If you take away the penalties and watched all the chances we have created from open play this season, I don't think there would be any footage.

I would be absolutely ropeable if I were CCM. Robbed blind.
otto62
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isaias

Postby otto62 Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Nice to finally get some decisions our way:

1st penalty - Mauk just keeps running and his back leg hits Tongyik who had only pulled his leg half back. I thought it was the clearest penalty of the three.

2nd penalty - looked like Mauk leaned into Nisbet and fell over. But Matt Simon said it was the clearest penalty of the three because Nisbet grabbed him. You rarely see them given.

3rd penalty - looked like it clearly came off Rowles ’ boot, so shouldn’t have been a penalty.

One thing I know is the commentators hate us at the moment.
Interloper

Postby Interloper Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:25 pm

Not sure why people are blaming VAR for the result. IMHO the penalties were all there, But more importantly the two doubtful ones were called on the field before the VAR check.

Without VAR it would have been 2-2 and Adelaide denied a penalty despite a defender being struck half way up his outstretched arm while blocking an Adelaide shot
sub007

Postby sub007 Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:31 pm

And elsey is? Elseys been a great servent to the club over the years, but has regressed badly this season

I'm not exaggerating when I say the majority of goals we've conceded this year are from his mistakes individually or switching off .

I love the fact he's a local but sometimes you gotta use your head and not your heart. It's time for a change in our cb pairing
Yes he is.

He isn't in great form and maybe shouldn't be starting but he's definitely good enough to play at A-League level.

We barely have any experienced players so we need the ones we do have to play as much as possible, especially if the alternative is someone who probably isn't up to it.
sub007

Postby sub007 Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 pm

If we're positive:
- Maybe the gritty win against the odds we need to kick start the season, gain some confidence
- Mauk isn't everyone's cup of tea but he and Juric have a winners mentality
- Smith was solid, D'Arrigo building form
- Lopez got through a game

If we're honest:
- Shouldn't have won, barely deserved one penalty let-a-lone 3
- Still fundamental flaws in our game, CB's switch off, can't control the middle of the park
- Juric regularly isolated
- Marrone frozen out again
- Dukuly not justifying his golden pass
Hit the nail on the head.
EdDog

Postby EdDog Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:28 am

I might be alone in this opinion but I think the defenders have done a reasonable job when we factor in the lack of midfield presence.

You put our midfield in front of the best defence in the league and have attackers run freely at them, often in 1-on-1 situations, and any defence will make mistakes and concede goals.

I think the single biggest weakness in the squad right now is the midfield. You fix that with someone who can step on the ball and relieve pressure and all of a sudden you have significantly reduced the number of times defenders are required to intervene which significantly reduces the mistakes and therefore significantly reduces the goals we concede.

Elsey-Strain-Jako is a FFA Cup winning defence that nearly got us to the big dance in 2019.

Not saying they have been stellar by any stretch, but they are not being given any protection a lot of the time.
sevengoals
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:10 am

Carl Veart talks to the press.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
RedTide
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Bernardo + Dylan Holmes
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: The Self-Preservation Society

Postby RedTide Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:03 am

I might be alone in this opinion but I think the defenders have done a reasonable job when we factor in the lack of midfield presence.

You put our midfield in front of the best defence in the league and have attackers run freely at them, often in 1-on-1 situations, and any defence will make mistakes and concede goals.

I think the single biggest weakness in the squad right now is the midfield. You fix that with someone who can step on the ball and relieve pressure and all of a sudden you have significantly reduced the number of times defenders are required to intervene which significantly reduces the mistakes and therefore significantly reduces the goals we concede.

Elsey-Strain-Jako is a FFA Cup winning defence that nearly got us to the big dance in 2019.

Not saying they have been stellar by any stretch, but they are not being given any protection a lot of the time.
Absolutely spot on. The real problem, as has been noted elsewhere plenty of times, is that our midfield is makeshift, so there are waves of attackers getting through to the last line of defence which shouldn't have been allowed to get there. Add that Jacko and Strain have been out for weeks and we were always going to be in trouble, shipping plenty of goals. The defenders have made mistakes, but remember that both Elsey and Smith made goal line clearances of certain goals against the Cows last week; clearances which kept us fully in that game until 3/4 of the way through. Noone was criticising either defender then.

The real solution, which will get us back into not just winning games but scaring other teams, is to get the midfield sorted. D'Arrigo improves every week, but Caletti is just not physically imposing enough to be able to hold up play in the centre. We desperately need Goodwin back as the central AM, who will then bring our excellent wing players into the picture. At the moment, the wingers (and wing backs, on the rare occasions that they can get forward) are having to collect their own ball, which makes us too narrow and far too easy to defend against. The other teams fear us when we pepper the box from the wings.

Tomi Juric is finally finding his feet and, on the rare occasions that we can actually get the ball to him, is a really potent forward. I agree with CV on this - I think that Tomi is the best #9 in the country, bar none. How Jamie McLaren must envy Tomi ...

Last night was an aberration - decisions which normally go against us went our way. I will swim against the tide and say that all 3 penalties were justified. If you commit a foul in the box, it's a penalty; end of story. If you don't want to concede penalties, then don't commit fouls in your own 18 yard box. Until last night, clear penalties were going unpunished and if the determination now is that all penalties will be (rightly) awarded, then so be it. Maybe teams will then stop getting away with nonsense and expecting to have penalty calls waved away.

The CCM fans on their own forum are filthy; my point to them is that they missed FOUR easy headers which should have seen them cruise to the win. They flunked their shots on goal and so they lost.

This could well be the turning point of our season; a win against the current top side; Jacko and Strain to return to the backline shortly; Goodwin's return to command the midfield; the Toure brothers improving every week. In a year and a season which is so topsy turvy, let's be grateful for those improvements to come and optimistic about the remaining 2/3rds of this very strange season.
"Hang on, lads; I've got a great idea".
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:22 am

Definitely a lot of negativity going around but as someone said above, it didn't feel like that at the ground. I was sitting in the western stand.

The first and second pens looked absolutely clear cut live in real time, 100% nailed on pens. I dont understand how we don't have any other camera angles at all.

The replay for the first does not clearly show Tongyik's body movement (because he is moving towards the camera), his body comes across Mauk and his hip/body is the main contact with Mauk. It looked clear in real time, the replay angle had many doubting at the game including myself.

The second penalty replay doesn't show the build up outside the box, Nisbet has a fistful of Mauks shirt as he's coming into the box trying to drag him back and gets level with him 2 strides into the box, Mauk did the same as any player in any team probably would do and got the pen. I wouldn't have been mad to cop that pen against us out of the context of the rest of the game.

The third, no one can blame Adelaide for that situation, there wasn't even really an appeal for it. I dont think it hit his head first but it may have hit his boot. His hand was definitely in an outstretched position and it stopped the ball from heading towards the goal. Out of the context of the rest of the match we've seen pens like that given before.

I actually thought we were the better team for most of the game but as we have in the last weeks, failed to make any decent chances in the final third.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”