Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

Jessesdad
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Re: Adelaide United v CC Mariners Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby Jessesdad Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 am

Some great comments and reflections here. All of which show that watching football is a very subjective experience. Just like awarding penalties is. In the end, a professional referee, backed by a hi-tech system overseen by another professional referee, decided that all three penalties were valid. So....they were. Whether I agree or not - which I do! :)

As for whether we're being honest....that's also subjective. You can say that in your honest opinion we didn't deserve to win it but you can't say that in my honest opinion we didn't...because that's not my honest opinion.

In my honest opinion Matt Simon should have been red carded for his blatant and dangerous attack on Lopez. Not even carded!

In my honest opinion Cristiano shouldn't have been sent off (card later rescinded of course - but too late) in 'that' Grand Final. But he was. Not that I'm still bitter.....:). Not at all.

In football, you take the luck that comes your way. I'm not a great admirer of Mauk (and certainly not as captain) but if you get contact in the box as an attacking player you make the most of it in professional football. You know there are plenty of times when you have been fouled that get waved away. Look at the treatment Juric gets from the refs. He is kicked and hacked and fouled every game but he apparently has a reputation among the refs and he's a big lad so he gets stuff all most of the time. I can't honestly believe the calm manner with which he cops that week in, week out.

Last night was one of the best nights at Coopers I can remember for some time. The crowd was pumped and the game was exciting. Three converted penalties NEVER happens but we were there when it did.

After the loss to Macarthur, I was losing hope and certainly losing faith in Veart. Last night didn't fix everything but it reminded me that having a local team to watch at a great stadium is a blessing. Onwards and Upwards....
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:53 am

Alan fielding and Kurt Ams, what a combo.
They clearly thought the league needed more media coverage and thought this was the best way to get it.

Btw, 3rd is pen every time under the new rules, you defend with your arm above your head, your in trouble. 1st impossible to tell from the camera angle shown, 2nd there sometimes given often not.
Whatever an ugly win is better than a beautiful loss
Last edited by The Claw on Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:25 pm

In my honest opinion Matt Simon should have been red carded for his blatant and dangerous attack on Lopez. Not even carded!
Fox commentators said Simon was fine and it was Lopez at fault. Yet Lopez got the free.
Fox also called every penalty should have gone the other way.
They are at least consistent in their anti Reds barracking week after week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MartinAUFC
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isiais
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: UUUNNNIIITTTEEEDDD!!!!!

Postby MartinAUFC Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Last night was one of the best nights at Coopers I can remember for some time. The crowd was pumped and the game was exciting.
Yep, sometimes I think the atmosphere at the games with a smaller crowd can be better than ones with a big turnout. Probably something to do with the fact that it's the hardcore, loyal section of the fanbase.
sevengoals
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: all of them
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Expand the league now!

Postby sevengoals Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Tomi Juric talks to the press.

B)
" There was, he added, no room for spin, showmanship, hubris or “any of the feelings of invincibility” that so often shackle nations with an imperial past ... " - - -

Pies: 3867

No Roots, No Growth!
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:17 am

Head of referees, Strebree Delovski, has come out and publicly apologised for 2 of the penalties that the field and VAR referee got wrong.

He said that Mauk initiated the contact for the first pen and that Tongyik was standing still. The VAR referee should have called the on field ref over to the screen for a look.

He said that the second penalty should have been play on as both players were holding each other but that the VAR could not intervene in that call.

The third penalty was correct according to the rules and took into account unnatural position of the arm blocking a ball towards goal.

I don't agree that Tongyik was standing still, even with the only terrible angle they've shown you can see Tongyik's hip/body contact with Mauk as he was coming across him. Soft? Maybe, but doesn't need an apology from referees. The second pen could have been a foul outside the box from the shirt pulling that the replay doesn't show, inexperience from Nisbet gets him sucked in there.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Philbyramone
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Iaiais

Postby Philbyramone Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:48 am

Head of referees, Strebree Delovski, has come out and publicly apologised for 2 of the penalties that the field and VAR referee got wrong.

He said that Mauk initiated the contact for the first pen and that Tongyik was standing still. The VAR referee should have called the on field ref over to the screen for a look.

He said that the second penalty should have been play on as both players were holding each other but that the VAR could not intervene in that call.

The third penalty was correct according to the rules and took into account unnatural position of the arm blocking a ball towards goal.

I don't agree that Tongyik was standing still, even with the only terrible angle they've shown you can see Tongyik's hip/body contact with Mauk as he was coming across him. Soft? Maybe, but doesn't need an apology from referees. The second pen could have been a foul outside the box from the shirt pulling that the replay doesn't show, inexperience from Nisbet gets him sucked in there.

Perhaps Srebre would like to review every decision made or not made during the match and pass judgment?

It’s pointless after the fact. Referees make mistakes. The issue at question should be whether the review process operated properly. Did he comment on why he disagrees with how that worked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:19 pm

“It’s important to come out and people to understand where we’re coming from - we got it wrong, we made an error and we’re human,” he said.
“We’ll coach the referees through that and we want to see the improvement there. Apart from one or two decisions this year, we’ve been good.”
Delovski said referee Adam Fielding was wrong to call the first penalty, because Mauk initiated contact with Central Coast defender Ruon Tongyik while contesting the ball.
Kurt Ams, the video assistant referee, was also wrong to not call Fielding to the sideline for a review of the decision.
“The defender has done nothing wrong, he just stands there, and the Adelaide attacker is the one that initiates the contact,” Delovski said. “We are coaching our [VAR] guys to keep a high bar of level of intervention ... but the VAR has interpreted it incorrectly.”

Fielding should also not have blown for the second penalty, Delovski said. Josh Nisbet was pinged for dragging down Mauk with his arm - but because both players were holding each other, the VAR was right to not step in.
“It would have been better if we played on,” he said. “From a VAR point of view ... there is holding from both players, including the Central Coast player, this is normal contact, so those are the facts and those facts are not clearly wrong.”
As for the third penalty, which gave Adelaide the lead in the 85th minute after a VAR intervention, the decision to ping Kye Rowles for handball was correct and in line with the current interpretation of the rule because the ball deflected onto his hand, which was in an “unnatural position”, Delovski said.

Stuckey
Forum Moderator & Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Whichever Toure is playing
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: Sha la la lala lalaaaa AUFC!

Postby Stuckey Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 am

Well if anything no one can say the game wasn't entertaining! On another day all three penalties wouldn't have gone AU's way.
I recall a few season ago when results weren't going AU's way and the side was creating a good amount of decent chances, that AU hit the woodwork consistently each week. So with periods like that in my memory I'm happy to see the club win lucky and ugly as it builds momentum. I hope the squad takes what they can from the result and continue to work. Its a crazy league this year with sides winning comfortably one week then losing the next.

Sounds like good news on the Tomi front.
Time to Djbate!
Old Gregg
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Cassiooooooooooo

Postby Old Gregg Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:28 pm

That was no way to win a game. Boo to VAR, boo to the refs, boo to Mauk for taking a dive.
All I need is some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”