Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

The only team for me - Adelaide United F.C!
Discuss the best football club in Australia!

Moderator: Moderators Group

sub007
Proud Adelaide United Supporter
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Jonny Yull

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby sub007 Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:45 pm

Reality of the poor squad we have is really coming through. Way too many kids, Veart really made some strange selections and changes. But seriously, Dukuly and Smith look a way off being regulars, midfield is non existent and there is basically no experience where it’s needed. Extremely disenchanted with it tbh
I don't think Smith was that bad but agree on Dukuly. It's clear he isn't AL standard so I don't understand why he keeps playing. Given Niyongabire can't even make the bench, he must be even worse or isn't in Carl's good books because I can't think of another reason why he isn't playing.

Abetew wasn't bad but Marrone should have started just to instill some much needed experience.

Also not sure what Caletti provides that Konstand doesn't.
EdDog

Re: RE: Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!!©

Postby EdDog Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 pm

Not me ed, Dukuly over Toure another crazy one.
Agree. You'd hope Toure should start a lot more since Dukuly got dragged at 30 mins.

With all of the baffling selections we still had several good chances to put us 2 or 3-0 up before the late subs ruined us.

Taking off your two most experienced mids in Mauk and Halloran when you're nursing a narrow 1-0 lead was suicide. I can only hope it was precautionary because of injuries, otherwise that is just poor coaching.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:56 pm

I am by no means a coach so should put faith in the coaches who see these players at training every day.

But based on what we are seeing on the park, can I take a poll for who would play Caletti and Abetew over D'Arrigo and Marrone?
Agree with this and what others have said. Surely Toure over Dukuly or even Pacifique over Dukuly at this stage.

I'm all for the build em up and sell em model, but throwing lambs to the slaughter is not the way to do that, I can't see the likes of Abetew ever being sold, but hey I'm not watching him train day-in-day-out.

We need a balance of experience.

And another thing while I'm ranting, we used to bring in gun foreigners, Cassio, Flores, Isiais, Carrusca and so on.... now it seems like all they've done is sit on the injury table.
Rojos
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Isais

Postby Rojos Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Not me ed, Dukuly over Toure another crazy one.
Agree. You'd hope Toure should start a lot more since Dukuly got dragged at 30 mins.

With all of the baffling selections we still had several good chances to put us 2 or 3-0 up before the late subs ruined us.

Taking off your two most experienced mids in Mauk and Halloran when you're nursing a narrow 1-0 lead was suicide. I can only hope it was precautionary because of injuries, otherwise that is just poor coaching.
I thought Yengi for Juric would have been an ok change, not Halloran.
ZANZIBAR
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Owen Goal

Postby ZANZIBAR Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Not that we would have scored, but why does the ref add 5 mins, they waste 1 min making a sub and he holds his watch up indicating it will all be added, then yellow card to velaphi for taking 30seconds to take a goal kick. He then blows full time at 95mins. So he didnt add the time he said he would? Shpuld also be given a week off after giving a fouk and yellow to abetew for winning the ball.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Not that we would have scored, but why does the ref add 5 mins, they waste 1 min making a sub and he holds his watch up indicating it will all be added, then yellow card to velaphi for taking 30seconds to take a goal kick. He then blows full time at 95mins. So he didnt add the time he said he would? Shpuld also be given a week off after giving a fouk and yellow to abetew for winning the ball.
And Elsey at 3 mins.

Goodwin please.
The Claw
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Spenda Penny
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: down down prices are down

Postby The Claw Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:07 pm

We have not bought in a gun foreigner for a long time, Isaais
EdDog

Postby EdDog Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:22 pm

In the club's defence, covid has made it difficult to bring in quality foreigners for a lot of teams. Most of the good ones here now are from years gone by (Ninko, Castro, Fornoroli) and we were just unfortunate that ours left.

What's frustrating is not utilising the players we have available and going full blown youth team mode.

I don't think anyone can argue how exciting the back end of last season was with the mix of youth and experience but the reference to lambs at the slaughter sums it up perfectly.

Some of the youth being played are not deserving of their spot (Abetew, Dukuly), some are out there because we simply don't have any depth/competition (Caletti, Smith).

I think there is still a huge upside to this squad but the coaches aren't realising it. I think a lot of the blame has to fall to them.
Jessesdad
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Halloran
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: It's a Long Way to the Top

Postby Jessesdad Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:38 pm

We played like an AL squad for the first 70 mins. Not a great AL squad but not too shabby.
Then we played like an NPL squad....because we were. Silly balls, panic play, no concept of slowing the pace. You can't just leave kids to manage themselves.
Veart screwed us tonight.
But good signs...Timotheou was solid and then disaster struck for him...the two Toures are frightening and will be unstoppable in a year....Halloran was the best he's been this season.....Abetew looked ok....Mauk was solid (but is NOT captain material - his comments at HT were way out of line on air)....Tomi does some amazing work (his cross that Toure failed to run to and tap in)....
All is not lost but all is very hazy at the moment. Work in progress.
mikeewanuk
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: The new Number 10
Favourite Adelaide United F.C. Song: SHA LA LA

Postby mikeewanuk Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:51 pm

Hate to say it but, we could be propping up the table when this round is complete. But we’ve been slow starters before and looked what’s happened.
AndyJebiga
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Judicial

Re: Adelaide United v Perth Glory Match Day Jamboree!!![emoji2398]

Postby AndyJebiga Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Vearts demeanour was "interesting" in the press conference, very fidgety with his hands. I think thr boys will be getting a rocket after that result
Interloper

Postby Interloper Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:59 am

The team that started the second half was a very strong XI. There were still players I would not pick in my first choice XI, (or even the bench,) but nobody disgraced themselves. Even the XI that finished were almost salvageable. I prefer both Toure's centrally but neither is terrible in a wide position, it would have made sense to have them both on either side of the midfield in that formation with Yengi and Juric on the pitch.

What's sad is that the last change was so terrible that everybody has forgotten how many chances were wasted (1v1 with keeper, trying to hit miracle goal from byline when a simple pass is on, flatfooted striker missing tap-in, the full set.)

Timotheou heavily at fault for both goals, despite otherwise looking good. Hopefully this was just an aberration.
The Claw

Postby The Claw Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:53 am

I thought Mauk being appointed as captain was a poor choice, his efforts at HT were an embarrassment to him and club. Not anywhere near mature or composed enough to be the teams leader.
bpowell454
Current Favourite Adelaide United Player: Adlung

Postby bpowell454 Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:15 am

I thought Mauk being appointed as captain was a poor choice, his efforts at HT were an embarrassment to him and club. Not anywhere near mature or composed enough to be the teams leader.
Agree, I thought it was absolutely childish and he is getting roasted on social media for it.

I mean, the guy is selling a self help journal about being your best self etc and then he makes himself look a twat....

I think it was so strange to have 4 players who play predominantly as strikers on the pitch at the same time, such a contrast to years gone by when we've usually had 8 wingers and 0 strikers. I would absolutely love to know what us keeping Marrone out of the side, every other experienced player who didn't play or play 90 could be considered a fitness issue (coming back from lengthy injury or lack of match fitness).

We can't keep saying this is a one off bad day at the office when it's been 3 out of the last 4 games...
The Claw

Postby The Claw Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:31 pm

Like I said earlier, for me its the reality of the current squad and its significant limitations. I mean the midfield is very poor, LB is weak and we just do not have quality like Diamanti, Castro etc. or anyone even close to that level.
It was ridiculous for the club to think this would be good enough, I mean Calletti has played every game but was not good enough for Roar is a prime example.

It would have made sense for Elsey or Jako to have kept the captaincy IMO.

Return to “Adelaide United F.C.”